German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there will always be LOTS AND LOTS of hair but does anyone have any reasonably priced home remedies of supplements that they have seen slows down the shedding some?
I have been feeding 10 month old Ben Tractor supply chicken and rice dry food which has been very good. his coat was better on that than the Eukanuba--I had to go to a bag of Infinia chicken and brown rice dry food cos I couldnt make it to TSC-but I dont think it is as good. It seems to put more bulk on him and he seems to be constantly hungry with it.
so---any ideas for a coat supplement from kitchen oils and fats to store bought stuff would be much appreciated!! his coat could be shinier but it is by no means unhealthy looking.
thanks!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
they shed for a reason. i wouldn't try to slow
down shedding. i would let nature run it's course.
feeding them good food and brushing often helps
with the coat. my dog gets ground flax seed,
cold pressed salmon oil, coconut juice (fresh), fresh fish
and canned fish (in water no salt added). i think
these things help the coat also.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
normal shedding = normal

abnormal shedding = due to a relative lack of vitality.

it would be the latter that I would be attempting to obviate,
obviously..................................................................... .

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/167640-2-bloats-10-days-4health-dog-food-warning.html
This thread is interesting, make sure what you are feeding is nutritious and healthy....
I agree with the omega's & vitamin E and I would also give human grade natural C daily.

The skin/coat is an overall reflection of health.

My dogs are rawfed and still shed, they are still losing undercoat from last winter(it was so thick) Just in time to start getting in their new undercoat!
In Winter, humidity is very important, dogs will start scratching when the air is dry.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
onyx--thank you so much for alerting me to that post. I will certainly do some serious thinking on that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts