German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Chama seemed to be doing very well for a few days after we got back from vacation but now has slowed down a lot again. Her back end is giving out a bit on (short) walks and she moves at tortoise speed. She is also waking up every night at about 4am panting. That could either be pain or her lungs (she has scarring on her lungs). She was doing this only occasionally up at the cottage but it's cooler up there so it was easier on her lungs. It's also been very humid here which is really hard on her lungs. Last night I got up and turned the fan on to cool the room down further (it really wasn't hot last night) but she got up and moved to the bathroom where there is tile floor.

Anyway, I'd like to try some sort of anti-inflammatory medication with her. I think I've exhausted my options on the herbal front. The tricky thing is that her liver values were elevated when I had her last bloodwork done. Any suggestions? I am going to email my vet today and see what he thinks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sounds like you need medication. But, I wanted to offer that Yucca Root is a natural anti-inflammatory. Have you tried that? I can tell you more about what I've done with it if you haven't.

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Prevacox works well for my senior 15 years.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I agree with Barbara, yucca root works wonders. Try it if you havent already. My vets even agrees with me on this one.

Tina

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I wish I could help you because you have helped me so much!

I just saw you post and wanted you to know my thoughts are with you and Chama. Hope the vet has the answers you need.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I've given her yucca and it really didn't seem to help. She needs something stronger. I gave her the tincture from Animal Essentials.

She is on a triple dose of Longevity (http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/121/2) which has bee pollen in it and that helps a lot with her lungs. I discovered that when I substituted something else for a few days and she started coughing a lot and had an asthma attack!

And she is on this as well:

Boswellia - 175 mg
Corydalis - 175 mg
Feverfew - 80 mg
Meadowsweet - 80 mg
Black Cherry - 50 mg
Bromelain - 50 mg
Celery Seed - 50 mg
Ginger - 25 mg
Turmeric - 25 mg
Wheatgrass - 25 mg
Cayenne - 5 mg

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowYes, I've given her yucca and it really didn't seem to help. She needs something stronger. I gave her the tincture from Animal Essentials.

She is on a triple dose of Longevity (http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/121/2) which has bee pollen in it and that helps a lot with her lungs. I discovered that when I substituted something else for a few days and she started coughing a lot and had an asthma attack!

And she is on this as well:

Boswellia - 175 mg
Corydalis - 175 mg
Feverfew - 80 mg
Meadowsweet - 80 mg
Black Cherry - 50 mg
Bromelain - 50 mg
Celery Seed - 50 mg
Ginger - 25 mg
Turmeric - 25 mg
Wheatgrass - 25 mg
Cayenne - 5 mg
In addition to this - you may also have an air conditioner for her- but I see how much it helps Timer and hope that you have one as well!!!!!!!
Good luck!

I forgot to asdd this - Timer is on 100 mg X2bid Rimadyl
But I generally give him one a day if he even needs that- I take him every 6 months for bloodwork - though his levels are normal probably due to the fact that I do not give him the med unless he's slower stiff, etc- also I will put a small heat pad on him on raw days (or use a thraputic heated bed perhaps) I leave it on low low heat and he seems to get as much out of it as I do- I figure if I am sore from the weather, HE's sore too! It works as he never gets up and walks away from it.....even when I go into the next room..........

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Yucca? Huh...

What about Tramadol? It won't get rid of the inflammation but will remove pain.

I have been doing the cold packs on me to help my lungs. It's not great, but helps. Also, when I am outside, I try to keep cool-so maybe a frozen/wet bandana might help. I really have kept the AC on a lot to feel better. I don't like to, but if I don't, I can't sleep. So that's from her lung friend.

I am thinking I read that Metacam may be safer for NSAIDS-but I don't know if that is because it is used less. I will look for the link.

Not it but this is a nice link: http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/MSMMM.HTM

Minimizing Risks: http://avma.org/onlnews/javma/apr04/040415g.asp

Duralactin? Going to look at that...
http://www.duralactin.com/

I may not ever find that other link. Why don't I bookmark?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I succumbed to using Rimadyl on my older dogs with their arthritic pains, altho the drug does scare me a bit. I had their bloodwork done every 6 months to monitor, and never had an issue.

Another thing I used for my last old girl, Cody (RIP) was a product called Wobenzyme which was suggested to me by a Homeopathic vet I used to see. The product has been known to eat up scar tissue which can help to alleviate pain which in turn aids in mobility. It too seemed to help her. This can be found at any health food store.

Forgive me, because I don't know what is ailing her...this is the first post I've read on your girl. I may be off track.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She has pretty severe arthritis and her knees are shot. She has scarring on her lungs (the vet called it old dog lungs). And she has elevated liver values. And she has tons of fatty tumors. She's had them for years and the ones I've had biopsied have been benign. Rotties are very prone to fatty tumors.

The cold lake water at the cottage really helped her Jean so I will try the cold packs and see if she'll tolerate them. And I will research those meds.

Of course she also gets all of the regular supplements like Salmon oil and coconut oil.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You know there are cold mats and cold vests you can buy too. Have you seen those?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, but because of the fatty tumors I have to be careful of what I put on Chama. Right now she's very comfortably resting on her water bed. I may just need another water bed for upstairs. I have put cotton sheets over her upstairs bed but maybe it's just too hot.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've had a lot of good luck with Metacam (and even combining Metacam with Tramadol).

Kel has a liver problem with high ALT values which are kept down with amoxicillin (it's gone down from 600 plus to 200 plus). We don't know what's causing the elevation - he's had numerous tests, biopsies, etc. But the Metacam didn't seem to bother his liver values. He was taken off it recently when it appeared not to be working on him as well as it did in the past. He also takes the maximum amount of Tramadol for his weight.

Kel has TERRIBLE arthritis in his elbows and icing them seems to help.

Honey's still on Metacam (and Tramadol) and so far it's helping her without any adverse side effects.

My late Ringer Dinger took the Metacam, with Tramadol, for an extended period of time with no problems. Bowen Massage treatments also worked well with him (degenerative disc disease in his neck and back).

All elderly Hooligans have complete physicals every six months complete with lab work.

HUGS TO CHARMA and best of luck!!!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am waiting for my vet to return my call. I lost his email address.

I will try icing tonight and putting cold packs on her lungs. She can get very cranky about things so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for all of your well wishes, everyone. I think the humidity is the real culprit here and unfortunately I can't afford central air!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow
I think the humidity is the real culprit here and unfortunately I can't afford central air!
Could you turn the a/c on in your bedroom and keep her in there until the weather improves or would she get too upset? Also, do you think if your put some hand towels in the freezer and drapped one over her neck could help her keep cool?

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Zamboni is on Rimadyl, with tramadol. Absolutely no liver issues. I test her blood levels every six months.

Grover was also on Rimadyl. She had liver disease, but you know, once I put her on Rimadyl, her levels never changed. I tested her every three months. I agonized about putting her on it. I waited until there seemed to be no other option. I held off putting her on Tramadol, which is also metabolized in the liver, because I needed the anti-inflammatory of rimadyl as well, not just pain relief. And tramadol only provides pain relief. I figured that if I were going to send a drug through the liver, I wanted the most bang for my buck.

All of the drugs we're talking about are metabolized in the liver. I don't know of one that isn't, unless there's something that's brand new (in the last year or so). My vet and I poured over the drug manuals, and he went on all the vet bulletin boards. Ultimately, for me, it was a matter of keeping the dose as low as possible to gain the maximum relief. It's a balancing act.

And, numerous herbs are metabolized in the liver as well.

Milk thistle is good for liver cleansing. I gave Grover that daily, as well as garlic. Maybe it helped...? Anyhow, her liver was stable til the day she left us.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I spoke with my vet. He is giving me Tremadol, Deramax and a bronchodilator in pill form (can't remember the name of that one). I am putting her on dandelion and milk thistle tincture for her liver. I am picking everything up tomorrow.

I can't keep her in my room with the air on because she has lived all of her life with gsds and thinks she has to keep me in sight at all times!

Thanks for all of the advice. It helped a lot!

I will keep you posted on whether the meds are working. He said I probably wouldn't have to give her too much.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hey Ruth,

Mas is on Deramaxx right now and it works well for him. He has been on Metacam and that was quite effective as well. I notice a considerbale difference when he is not on the meds.

Give that Chama girl big hugs from me and Mas

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I will tell you Ruth that this has been a miserable summer for me-and I am not that old! I have been in a flareup probably since Mid-May when it started to get hot. The day that it wasn't humid (you know-that one day!) I felt completely different, so there is hope for Chama too, that once the weather improves she will too. It also makes the arthritis flare up! So with those meds, I am betting she can have some relief until the fall when she can breathe and move better naturally again.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts