German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
I know how you feel people always think Niko is a husky because he's not Black and Tan, it can get really annoying but what can ya do

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I had a very nice lady comment that she didn't know labs had pointy ears when she was looking at my boy! lol

Shrug it off;)

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
Just say, "No, she isn't husky, she's a wolf."

The added benefit is that she will hustle her little horrid brats away.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had a person say they swore Zoes was a doberman! We were in petsmart and they were arguing with me so i took them to the book section and showed her and she just walked away lol.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Someone asked me if Riley was a husky. I'm not sure why. Everyone else knows he's a GSD...lol

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had someone day the same thing because Argos is black and red lol but he is far from lookin like a Dobe we used o have a euro one so I was like no way he looks like a Dobe haha if they persist I just ignore them

I had a person say they swore Zoes was a doberman! We were in petsmart and they were arguing with me so i took them to the book section and showed her and she just walked away lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I feel your pain. My boy is 3 now and I've had him since 4 months. I am constantly getting asked what he's mixed with. It seems to me that the only people that recognize a sable as a German Shepherd are people that have trouble with the law "Oooh that's a cop dog over there" as they rudely point or REAL German Shepherd people like ourselves. I used to get very offended but now my responses are "His mother was a German Shepherd and his father was a German Shepherd" the blank stare is the usual reaction or my favorite "He was going to be a police dog but they kicked him out because he didn't like to out after the bite" lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I get the same thing. I've had people ask if Brunie is a Kelpie. I didn't even know what a Kelpie was, I had to go look it up. There has been a few other breeds tossed out there but, no "husky?" yet.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I got is she a hyena today from a grown woman!!!! Omg lol I had a good laugh at that one.
That's hilarious. So because she's not black and tan she's not even a dog? Lol. :rolleyes: Maybe if you start saying "she's a sable variety german shepherd" they will think it's some new trendy breed variety and leave it be. I don't know why people get so hung up on color. It seems like our humane society estimates mixes mainly based on color, so if anything is brindle it's immediately "boxer mix" and if it's black and white, "border collie mix."

I've also seen far fewer dark sable huskies (read: ZERO) than sable GSDs so I'm not even sure where that idea is coming from. Maybe because people associate huskies with wolfy-looking agouti colors?

I've tried explaining the white GSD thing to people but it confuses them. "So she's an albino?" Ermmm no. Close, but no.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have something that is called an American Shelter Dog...
Well, now I live in some fancy pancy area, where people don't let their dogs play with Shelter dogs and think very lowly of mixes....

Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce you to a:

CHILEAN CORGIE

They have long legs, so they can herd Llamas and Alpacas over the hilly terrain...

There are people out there, that actually buy this ****!

Oh, and Q the German Shepherd is a Coyote.
Yes... A Coyote...
Oh well...

Just don't mind the idiots!
Y

·
Registered
929 Posts
People ask me is my Liver is a husky wolf mix.
Drives me nuts.
But it does make the occasional "your liver german shepherd is GORGEOUS!" all the better and more anticapated! haha

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I have a black and red long coat, I've never gotten husky but I have gotten Rottweiler. I've never seen a fluffy PB Rottweiler, have you? :D

People get confused a lot with my pup mostly because of his long coat and because he has a lot more black on him then most traditional black/tan/red saddle backs... Well you can see in my avatar how much black he's has on him. The majority of what I get is, "Is that a German shepherd? But why is his coat different?" Seems a lot of people haven't heard of sables OR long coats. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
There are just better things out there to be driven nuts over. Flexi-leads and everyone not knowing what breed your dog is.

German Shepherds are a very popular breed, but there are a LOT of varieties, and there are a lot of look alike breeds: king shepherds, shylos, belgium sheep dogs, dutch shepherds, tervs, malinois, American Alsatians -- they look very different to us, but they may not look very different to Dachsund people or Yorkie people or Lab-people.

I look at a lot of dog breeds, and I can usually be right when I ask whether the dog is an Airdale or a Austrailian Shepherd. But I get the little white dogs wrong all the time. Is it a Westie? No, it's a bolognese, oops! Well, I just ticked someone off to no end for not knowing what breed her dog is. Maybe she will commit suicide over it and it will be all my fault.

There are GSDs that are angulated and straight backed; 60 pounds, and 110 pounds; patterned, solid color, bi-color, and a rainbow of sables. Some have ears down, some have long coats, some have full plush coats, some are skin tight short haired coats.

And we are ready to go off the deep end because not everyone knows exactly that our representative of the breed is in fact a representative of the breed.

I can see getting a little tude when someone argues with you about your dog being a wolf or a pit bull, but just not knowing that they come in sable or black or white, I don't know.

I suppose my being friendly and sparking up a conversation about someone's dog is really just fodder for a thread on their favorite dog-breed-site: Boy I just hate that people always think if a dog is small and white it is a westie.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Try having a WGSD, lol. I've heard (almost) it all: Husky, Albino, Wolf, Pale Yellow Lab, even an Albino Border Collie.

I don't mind people saying he's a mix or asking if he's mixed with something. I just get irritated when, after explaining that he's not a mix of something I hear, "You must be mistaken, he has to be mixed because he's all white..."

It's my dog, I should know what he is.

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
Try having a WGSD, lol. I've heard (almost) it all: Husky, Albino, Wolf, Pale Yellow Lab, even an Albino Border Collie.

I don't mind people saying he's a mix or asking if he's mixed with something. I just get irritated when, after explaining that he's not a mix of something I hear, "You must be mistaken, he has to be mixed because he's all white..."

It's my dog, I should know what he is.
What? It's white? Well it just can't be. It does not exist after all. I have a question for you, though, since he is a figment of your imagination, does his food bill still show up on your credit card each month? I always wondered that. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts