German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted about a month ago when we adopted this girl, she was a stray from South Florida. When we first got her, we thought she was a ~6-7 month old GSD puppy. Well, we've had her for a month and she hasn't gotten any bigger (besides putting on 5 lbs or so because she was skinny when we got her.) Our vet thinks she is about a year, based on her teeth, and won't get any bigger. She weighs right about 50 lbs. Everyone that sees her automatically assumes she is a GSD puppy, the only differences I have seen is her snout is slightly shorter, and ears a bit smaller, then a purebred. That said, any guesses as to what she is mixed with? Her personality is all GSD. Very, very smart, loyal to my wife and I, lots of energy outside, but after a day of exercise, she thinks she is a 50 lb lap dog.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
She looks like a GSD I pet sat for a couple weeks. That dog was PB with papers and everything. Its possible she's PB with just a slightly different build to her. She's on the smaller end of the scale. I've seen working line GSDs with smaller ears than the satellite dishes some never grow into and a shorter snout.

If she is actually a mix, i'd lean toward lab. But I stick with she's all GSD

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Looks pure GSD to me! :) I guess some are just a bit on the smaller side. My GSD is 7 months and only 49 pounds.
She looks like a little sweet-heart and she is beautiful!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She is definitely a sweetheart. Loves kids and other dogs. Here she is with my Mom's bichon-poodle mix. We don't care either way if she is pure or not, just happy to have a great dog. More curious then anything else.

Poor girl had open wounds from a chain on her neck when we got her, was not spayed or chipped, and was found with no tags. But yet she has turned around and given us unconditional trust and love, in the 6 weeks we've had her. Amazing.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I think she's probably purebred, also. She looks to be about the same size as my girl.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
okay looking at the picture of her laying with the bichon mix, I'm definitely sticking with PB GSD. Much better head angle. She's just a smaller girl. Member here has a 6 month old female who I believe weighed in less than 40lbs. She's a petite pup.

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
she looks pure to me. That batman reverse mask seems to be predominant in DDR dogs

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
She wont get TALLER, but shepherds put on weight until about 2-3 yrs old or so. I bet she would be 55-60 lbs when all is said and done. Looks pure to me. They aren't suppose to be an extremely large breed, a small female near 60lbs is about perfect. Light and agile

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Very pretty girl, thank you for giving her a forever and loving home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Bringing back an old post, but we got the results from a DNA test back. She is half purebred GSD and half who-knows-what, according to the test. The most predominate breeds in the unknown half were Jack Russell terrier (?), Shetland Sheepdog, and Schipperke. Our guess is that a male GSD got loose and mated with a mutt. She definitely picked up almost all the GSD traits though. Here is a recent picture of her next to our friend's blackmouth cur.

·
Registered
32,018 Posts
Bringing back an old post, but we got the results from a DNA test back. She is half purebred GSD and half who-knows-what, according to the test. The most predominate breeds in the unknown half were Jack Russell terrier (?), Shetland Sheepdog, and Schipperke. Our guess is that a male GSD got loose and mated with a mutt. She definitely picked up almost all the GSD traits though. Here is a recent picture of her next to our friend's blackmouth cur.

Those DNA tests to determine breeds are notorious for being completely wrong. She looks like a GSD. She may have had a rough start, and she may just be a smallish girl. She is definitely within the range.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
That is a GSD mixed with a GSD. :D

She is beautiful. Her face reminds me of my Hans. :wub:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts