German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not one to post very much, but I do enjoy this forum and have learned so very much from it.This is a very close knit community and we all have our opinions, clearly shown in an on going discussion in this section.I can neither agree or disagree with this couples decision.
I have always had a passion for my fur kids, no one else can understand that passion unless you also feel it for your fur baby.I personally could never hand over a member of my family. My husband and I are now on what we refer to as our 3rd generation of dogs. Matey, Dock & Davit are the only fur babes we ever purchased during our 33 years of marriage, therefore I would like to thank the following:
1. The person who turned their 8 month old St Bernard/ retriever over to the humane society because you didn't want to deal with this puppy when your daughter went off to college.Brandy was our first, she was with us for 12 short years, we lost her to congestive heart failure.
2.To my father who for some reason thought we should have a golden retriever puppy when our daughter was born ! Dad, what were you thinking?! LOL !! I have pictures of our daughter and Lexie in the stroller together.Not easy at times with a puppy and new baby, but we did it. Lexie was with us for a very short 9 years, we lost her to cancer.
3.To the people down the road who let their 7 month old shepherd mix run loose and cause chaos throughout the neighbor hood.Marcy ended up on our poarch curled up sick. I took her to the vets immediately, infected spay incision.Asked her "people" if maybe they would let us have her, told "I can't do that, my kids love her to much". yeah, right. Amazing what people will do when you hand them a $100.00 bill. Sweet Marcy was with us for a short 14 years.Her heart just gave out.
4.To one of my friends whose husband brought home a 4 month old black lab and the wife wanted NO MORE dogs ! Gentle Sara, with us for 13 years. Respitory problems.
5. To the people who turned over Kayla at the age of 9 to the humane society because you got a new puppy.You will never know the love and companionship Kayla gave my mother in law for the last 6 years. RIP Kayla
To the above people mentioned... Thank You ,as your loss was very much our gain and added so much love within our family.

I just wanted to add a different thought , but please understand I do believe in responsibility.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
And a nice thought it was, We came by Sarge because of an abusive owner. Hes now a part of our family like your dogs were to you. Hes seen enough abuse to last him a life time, he wont any more.

Thanks for posting that, it was a very nice read.

·
Registered
46 Posts
3dogcrew... I applaud you. Your family has been the Guardian Angel to many dogs that became a part of your family, and created memories forever.

Terry K.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Lovely post.

it is nice to be reminded that some of the sad stories we read about have happy endings.

·
Registered
101 Posts
3dogcrew - First, God bless you for being there for animals that needed you. I will never understand how people can get rid of a member of the family. Will they get rid of grandma some day because she is too much trouble or not cute anymore. It's beyond my comprehension, these dogs are my babies! Anyway, I have no doubt there is a special place in heaven for you.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
BRAVO!!! what a wonderful and healthy "other way to think", i am going to re-read your post first thing every morning for the next week!!! you MADE MY DAY!!!

(along with the rescue of those five gsd puppies from ionia, MI, thank you sherri from orphan animals!)

·
Registered
152 Posts
What a great post!! It reminds me of why I do what I do.....(Even tho most of my friends think I need to be on medication)

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I HAVE A House full of "throw aways" myself-2 cats and 2 dogs from the humane society and a cat and a floppy eared rabbit off the streets of detroit-all perfect babies. the cat from the streets of detroit is one of the smartest cats I EVER knew.

·
Registered
767 Posts
3dogcrew what a great post.
Thank you for being there when all those fur-babies needed you.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
3dogcrew - I think there's a special place in heaven for people like you.

I think I know what you're saying, here. As frustrated and downright furious as I get when I hear story after story after story of people not doing right by their pets, I have to stop and remind myself that it's often for the best, in the long run, when the dog ends up in a better home. It's just wrong that they have to go through so much to get there!
I saw this in one of the GRIN newsletters. I don't know if you've ever seen it before, but I thought you might like it.

I adopted your pet today...
The one you left at the pound;
The one you had for ten years
And no longer wanted around.

Did you know that he's lost weight?
Did you know he's scared and depressed
And seems to have lost all faith?

He had fleas and a little cold;
Guess you don't care what shape he's in -
You abandoned him I am told.

Were you having a baby or moving away?
Did you suddenly develop allergies,
Or was there NO reason he couldn't stay?

He doesn't play or even eat much;
I guess he's very sad inside and
It'll take time for him to trust.

And here he is going to stay;
He's found his FOREVER home
And a warm bed in which to lay.

And shall give him all that he will need -
Patience, love and security,
So he can forget your selfish deed.

·
Registered
671 Posts
What a great way of looking at things! I hope you don't mind, I thought I'd do the same...

1. Thank you to the person who dumped a 7-8 year old, HW+, recently pregnant beagle with her mate for a little old lady to find and care for until the rescue group had a foster home. We had Lily for 11 wonderful years, paid thousands to keep her healthy and comfortable for that long and it was worth every penny. What an amazing dog for me to grow up with through my teenage years, I will always remember her.

2. I'm not sure if Mollie was dumped at the shelter or found as a stray or what her past is, but she has touched so many lives and I've never had so many people fall in love with and (jokingly) threaten to steal my dog.

3. People who gave Brenna, a working line GSD away for free because she was soft and not suitable for breeding k9s. I am forever in your debt for she is my heart dog, I don't know how I ever managed without her! I do wish you hadn't screwed her up with your training methods, though I will always be the one there for her working her through her fears.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
you made me cry, what a poem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts