German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get some opinions about whether this should work and how long it should take.

14-week old pup, we go on about 15-minute walks. Things go fine at the start. Actually, he seems a bit timid and not too excited to go, but once he gets his legs moving, seems to enjoy himself. On the way out, he walks at my side or behind, sometimes sniffing, never pulling. On the way back, at some point, he starts yanking my arm off.

The solution given to me by my puppy class trainer is just to only move on a loose leash. So I try my best to keep my hand in about the same place, but once I feel the tension, I stop. What happens is that the pup usually pulls, looks back, eventually goes off to the side or sits or lays down. When the leash is slack, I move forward.

Then the pup runs out ahead again. Again, once the leash tightens, I stop.

As this happens over and over again, the pup gets more and more agitated, runs faster and more energetically. Sometimes barks. I have to be careful and try to soften the blow at the end of the leash so he doesn't get hurt. Instead of getting better, he gets worse.

We've been doing this three days.

So my question is, is this a workable way to teach a nice walk? I don't see any sign that he's learning from it, and it can't be good for his neck (FYI, I got a martingale collar for him yesterday). He does know the "watch" command, and I have spent some time training him to look back and come get his treat. He usually listens when I give the command, but then he goes right back to pulling.

Thanks. I have read several threads on this, but didn't come to any conclusion from them.

·
Banned
2,016 Posts
IMO, the trainer has it backwards. When you stop and the pup pulls, you are triggering opposition reflex which is a technique used to get a dog to go forward faster. I would consider letting the pup get to the end of the leash and abruptly make a 180 degree turn in the opposite direction. He will eventually learn to keep his eyes on you so that he doesn't get jerked in the opposite direction. Also I would use a regular collar.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts