German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been concerned for a while now about Griff's lack of normal recovery after normal, appropriate exercise. Deja (4.5 years old) calms down after a few minutes and goes back to normal respiratory rate while it takes Griff (8 months old) sometimes an hour. Even in complete rest he breathes more frequently than her. I took him to town today. Given, it was warm, but after twenty minutes he was walking behind me and wanted to roll in grass. Never had that happen with any of my dogs.
Tomorrow I am taking him in to the vet. Is there anything I specifically need to ask in case they forget to check anything? This is a very good clinic by he way; I just wanted to be well prepared. The vet who sealed his tooth, checked for air flow from the nostrils, just to make sure his sinuses were OK. Good air flow and she told me to look into this more. So that's what we do.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
How hot is it there? Hes a testosterone soaked growing teenager. Maybe thats why.

·
Registered
16,153 Posts
Summer + pavement = awfully hot on the bear paws. That's what I've got and then possibly if he is a heavier dog. .. I remember a couple of things - driving across southern Idaho this time of year not only was the pavement too hot for dog feet but the desert sand in the dog area was so hot that they would sit on their well insulated butts and raise their hind feet off the ground. Stop shortened signilficantly there. Trail ride with two dogs in cooler part of the day in central Arkansas --- the heavier dog darned near had heat stroke. Cooled her down in time but that was scary - other dog was ready to keep running --- Be careful - not every dog responds the same to environmental issues.

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope you all are right. I wouldn't have been worried if he had been my only dog and I didn't have a reference in Deja. Hope for the best.

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
I have been concerned for a while now about Griff's lack of normal recovery after normal, appropriate exercise. Deja (4.5 years old) calms down after a few minutes and goes back to normal respiratory rate while it takes Griff (8 months old) sometimes an hour. Even in complete rest he breathes more frequently than her. I took him to town today. Given, it was warm, but after twenty minutes he was walking behind me and wanted to roll in grass. Never had that happen with any of my dogs.
Tomorrow I am taking him in to the vet. Is there anything I specifically need to ask in case they forget to check anything? This is a very good clinic by he way; I just wanted to be well prepared. The vet who sealed his tooth, checked for air flow from the nostrils, just to make sure his sinuses were OK. Good air flow and she told me to look into this more. So that's what we do.
This is EXACTLY what I noticed first with Shadow! Initially I was told she had a heart murmur but later vets explained that it is not a murmur her heart is inefficient and therefore beats more frequently. Since they wouldn't put her under no real answers were obtained but her respiratory rate is fast, her heart rate is fast and her recovery times are ridiculous.

I hope you get some good answers.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Beau is like that during the summer, recovery takes forever. When it’s cold he can still get to the point where he’s panting heavily, he’ll run til he drops, but he recovers much more quickly. Vet says he’s fine, just can’t handle the heat.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I would say my male is the same. He does not do heat so well. He recovers slower than my girl. He has been gone over quite a bit between bloodwork for other stuff, OFA stuff, all his pre work exams. Nothing wrong with him at least that they have ever found yet.

I just figure his exercise and training on the weather. The summer has been rough and we have not tracked nearly as much as I had hoped but he just can't hack it the temps and humidity we have had and I just can't hack it laying tracks at 9pm or 4am in order to get the age we need so...we may not enter the fall TDX after all because i just havent done as much as I wanted to. Whatever.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Not sure where in the PNW you are, but the thick layer of smoke can be irritating for some people and dogs. It seems to affect some worse than others.

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What did the vet say?
Firs of all, lungs and heart sound OK. The vet mentioned Addison's and Cushing's Disease and kidney failure as a remote possibility. But also the fact that his respiratory development can't keep up with his crazy fast body growth (66 lbs today). The vet asked me to tape his breathing once every week at a time that everything is calm and he isn't tired from exercise. A family member of mine is a retired vet from an accredited clinic. She has seen him as a 6 month old. She told me that his clumsiness and uncoordinated gaits and movements could waste energy, making him more tired than Deja, who is nicely balanced. Griff is also experiencing the world in a more excited way than any dog I have ever had.
Interestingly I discovered today that when he is alone with me in the house while Deja is in the outdoor kennel, his breathing is calmer.
We are pretty smokey out here but that hasn't changed Griff's breathing pattern.
It could very well be him growing so fast and the combination of the heat and his testosterone-laden excitement about life.
So... I am going to try ( :rolleyes: ) to relax about it and assume he doesn't have anything scary going on and hopefully grow out of it. Does this make sense at all?

·
Registered
32,564 Posts
Yes. It's to replenish the sugars the body uses when exercising and helps recovery. It won't mess up his diet. You only use it within 30 minutes of exercising.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
You just reminded me of something. The last trial I did with my dog, was obedience. It was in a horse arena, so shade but it was over 90 that day.

I gave him electrolytes in the morning and midday and he handled the heat better than I thought he would.

Its just some dog electrolyte formula i got from chewy.com

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Not sure I would want to give my dog a product containing ginsing and creatine.

Yeah performance supplements kinda freak me out too. A friend of mine, a guy, was taking some kind of builders supplement and had a siezure at the gym that they arttributed to whatever the suppement was. To be fair I might not have gotten the whole story. There may have been another contributing factor, knowing him

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Creatine is created naturally by the body. It helps with muscle recovery after exercise. High drive dogs can benefit from it, as long as it's used in proper amounts.
Ginseng is a natural additive. Good for health.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts