German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Trouble "Bailey" (27/01/2021) and his teenage handler
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although we may have taken a step back with my grumpy neighbours on Bailey's kennel barking (which will be resolved), I do believe that we've taken another two (or three!) forward.

We took him to a big park in central London this afternoon - as my brother's football club is there. The journey ended up being over an hour because did some additional stuff on the way (got petrol and picked up family) on the way and he did amazing in the car, both ways! When we got to the park, to be honest, there were way more dogs than I was expecting, and I really hoped we could leave, but alas, we couldn't. Instead, I gave him more slack (he was on a 15ft line), so that he wasn't fighting against the leash and getting himself more worked up. There were loads of dogs, which might have been a bad thing - feel free to let me know if so - but I would say he did pretty well in comparison to what he used to be like. In truth, he did bark at a lot of the dogs. It was way easier to correct and regain his focus though, and at one point he stared at another german shepherd who was only on the opposite side of the alleyway (maybe 8ft away), and didn't bark at all. That seems to be his new threshold :)! We spent about two hours there, and he only met two dogs - out of all the ones he barked at to greet. By the end of our trip, we walked straight past another puppy and he totally ignored him! Of course, i'm sure he'll still bark at the dogs we see but I can see him being able to ignore other dogs very soon - hopefully before his first birthday.
Once we got home he slept for a while (my goodness, it's great to have a tired dog) and then we did some training. He is getting really good at heel and middle, and is doing it without a lure, and from short distances! He seems so happy to do it too, which makes me happy. His "leave it" is also really good, and he'll do it pretty solidly. Anyway, overall, had a good day (IMO at least) 馃グ

Super Moderator
Nice!Many times having some freedom to move around and act more naturally helps with reactivity.The dogs are communicating with each other, which is harder when they are restricted.

Registered
Trouble "Bailey" (27/01/2021) and his teenage handler
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to add to this bragg :)

On our walk this morning, we passed another dog (who was across the road), without any barking or lunging! He looked at her, I told him "leave it", he did for a split second but went back to look again. I repeated it and did a correction - and he ignored her! we carried on our walk with absolutely no problems :0
He also ignored a few dogs that were barking at him (he couldn't see them though, so I'm sure that made a difference). Overall, good improvements! We've been on this same street and the same distance before, where he would bark at another dog like crazy (lunging, barking, not stopping even after the dog was out of sight), so hopefully, we can increase the distance soon. He also used to bark when the neighbours' dogs would bark - but no longer does that either! Definitely a big improvement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts