German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Duke will be 12 weeks old tomorrow. He is around 21 pounds but he looks skinny. I feel like he's in good shape, the soon to be wife (9 days today by the way) feels like he's to skinny.

I can feel the ribs but cannot see them so I know that's good but he also has a lot of hair...

What do you think?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it helps, we are feeding Orijen Large Breed Puppy. He is getting just over 2 cups a day.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I think he looks great. They should have an hourglass shape

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
Looks good.
I understand it is not bad to see the ribs, slightly, in puppies. Keep them lean, it is good for them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
oh he looks fine :) my female is thin too. But not underweight :) u wanna to grow slowly to help their bones :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we weighed him tonight. 15 weeks tomorrow and about 31 pounds...

We are feeding Orijen large breed. The breeder says he should be heavier and thinks its the food.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I feed Orijen LB Puppy as well. My dog has never had that chunky puppy look and has always been on the thin side. You don't want them to grow too fast or be too heavy because its hard on their joints. My vet always advises me that they are going to grow as big as their genetics will allow as long as the get the proper nutrition. Orijen is a really good food.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
That pup looks fine! Our culture has an obsession with fat pets, if it's not overweight obviously it must be abused and starved. And how would your breeder be able to know without looking at the dog?

It is healthier for a puppy to be SLIGHTLY underweight over the pup being SLIGHTLY overweight.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts