German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet had recently told me that my boy is too skinny. I was surprised as I thought he was absolutely normal; GSDs are supposed to look trim and have well defined waist.. Well, Rex is quite tall (27 inch, 78 pounds) and perhaps indeed needs to put in some weight. Pics attached
So, he is currently on Orejin original, 270-300 g each feed, fed twice a day. I was thinking either to give him a bit more OR maybe give him some extra food in addition, say keep his two feeds a day (morning/evening) and provide with raw food in between. Eggs, meat, fish, yogurt. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
General is 27" tall and weighs 76 lbs. My vet said that should be our ideal weight for him, but he has some back/leg issues so that was one reason to keep him lean. Personally, I think about 80 lbs would "look" good, but I would rather him FEEL good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kody looks exactly like your dog, and the vet said thats optimal weight for him. He is around 95lbs, not sure of his height, but he's a big guy. It won't let me add pictures for some reason.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He looks great.
Thanks, I think so too

General is 27" tall and weighs 76 lbs. My vet said that should be our ideal weight for him, but he has some back/leg issues so that was one reason to keep him lean. Personally, I think about 80 lbs would "look" good, but I would rather him FEEL good.
Potential hips/legs issue was also the reason I tried to keep my dog lean, I was carefully watching his weight and fed him the best and well balanced food I could afford since he was a little puppy. I'm perplexed at what the vet had said.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I think vets who know the breed and its issues (esp. SPINE, elbows & hips) tend to strongly advocate to keep them lean to protect them. My vet described the sweet spot as just inside the bottom edge of the normal range -- almost-but-not-quite skinny. That looks like right where your dog is!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kody looks exactly like your dog, and the vet said thats optimal weight for him. He is around 95lbs, not sure of his height, but he's a big guy. It won't let me add pictures for some reason.
That's amazing, shame you cant add pics. Almost 20 pounds difference and yet dogs look similar..
The vet said Rex needs to look more muscly, not sure what she meant. He hasn't started filling out yet..I exercise him a lot and he is absolutely crazy about ball games.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He looks good. Our vet wants to have them lean like this. Don't change anything, He looks awesome.

I think vets who know the breed and its issues (esp. SPINE, elbows & hips) tend to strongly advocate to keep them lean to protect them. My vet described the sweet spot as just inside the bottom edge of the normal range -- almost-but-not-quite skinny. That looks like right where your dog is!

He looks good. Our vet wants to have them lean like this. Don't change anything, He looks awesome.

Thanks a lot for reassurance, I'll stick to the current dietary regime. Maybe, if he doesn't start filling out soon it will have to be reconsidered.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have to disagree. For what it's worth, this dog looks much too thin to me. I don't want to see all the ribs on a dog. Feel them, yes, but not see every one like this dog. And this is a photograph, which smooths out the edges. I suspect this dog looks even skinnier in person.

Sometimes I think we go overboard, thinking we are protecting our dogs from hip and joint problems. Maybe we are going to far in the direction of thinness?

Just my 2 cent's worth.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Thanks a lot for reassurance, I'll stick to the current dietary regime. Maybe, if he doesn't start filling out soon it will have to be reconsidered.
He looks to thin to me. He seems to have a very thick coat, is that his hip bones sticking out?

How old is this dog? How active is he?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so how many pounds do you think he still needs to put on?

His coat is thick, but I'm afraid these are indeed hip bones sticking out..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Here is a picture of General for comparison.

Like I said, I think he would look good with a couple more pounds, so if he goes to 80 instead of 76, I probably won’t mind unless I see his back start bothering him more.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He looks to thin to me. He seems to have a very thick coat, is that his hip bones sticking out?

How old is this dog? How active is he?

he is 1 year 10 months, walked twice a day for at least one hour, lots off leash. he likes playing fetch so yes, I'd say he's quite active,

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I;m not sure if you can see his butt better, coat is thick and hair's wavy, I can feel bones and they are visible under certain angle..

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He almost looks obese on this pic. I don't know how to take the best shot that would show how lean he is.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,028 Posts
It's difficult to tell just by looking at a photo, especially if his coat is thick. My dogs look much bigger than they actually are because of their long coats, especially Halo, whose fur is very thick and dense. She looks positively scrawny when hosed down! The only way I can tell if my dogs are in optimum condition is a rib check, which I do routinely to see if I need to increase or decrease their food slightly.

When you run your hand down his side, do his ribs feel overly prominent? You should be able to easily feel them, but not to the extent that they protrude. He should feel lean, not skinny. If his is a bit too ribby, simply increase his meals by a small amount. I don't think you need to add more food between meals.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts