German Shepherds Forum banner

141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
My sister's 7 month old boxer was killed after her 8 month old german shepherd got his tooth stuck in the boxer's collar while wrestling. They were outside in a fenced in area while my sister ran to Wal-Mart real quick to pick up dinner. Her boyfriend and a few family members were still at the house though. She came back to find his collar had twisted around so many times, choking him.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I will always keep a collar on any of my dogs. I know there may be risks to it, but I personally feel the risks of my dogs not wearing a collar is far greater. Too many stories of dogs getting lost without a collar on, vs. dogs getting mouths stuck in collars or getting stuck to a fence.
I've use the rolled leather collars 24-7. for 25 years. They do well and I have the security of knowing if they ever get out by accident they have their tags on. I don't keep them tight (unless on leash) and they can back out of them if they get stuck on something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys,
My Dogs never wear anything inside for the same reason.
But generaly they only wear Harnesses due to the fact i have seen Dogs who strangled them self on bushes and other places where they got caught on something high where they jumped from.
So except the Breakaways i would advertise the use of an harness.
BTW they are supposed to be better for the Dog even more so for Pups.
But thats only my opinion.
Ohh ... but there is an exception to every rule :cool:
In the Dark they wear reflective or luminous collars.
Greetz Jean

P.S. Plz dont blame me for mistakes as iam not speaking English nativly. :help:
Thanks
(But still gratefull if u want to correct me ! )

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I've use the rolled leather collars 24-7. for 25 years. They do well and I have the security of knowing if they ever get out by accident they have their tags on. I don't keep them tight (unless on leash) and they can back out of them if they get stuck on something.
I also use rolled leather and my collars are loose. The same always applied for horses with leaving halters on, if you have to leave it on use leather, it will break in a struggle.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Ditto. I have a rolled leather collar on Cheyenne that is very loose. If it got caught on something, she could easily slip out of it. And yes, it has happened a few times. For Panzer, I have a break-away collar until he is older, then I'll move to a rolled leather collar for him also.

Regardless, when they are crated, they come off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My GSD puppy and my 2 year old Boston Terrier always have wrestle time in the morning. I had read this post a couple of weeks ago and totally forgot the no collars in the house rule. They quickly became tangled in their collars as I was reading this morning. I couldn't even find the collar on my GSD to even attempt to take it off. My daughter had her fingers in the BTs mouth and was holding him tightly to prevent him from twisting further. My other daughter had my puppy in her arms as tightly as she could. I tried and tried to get it untangled, but ran for my knife when I saw that it was getting worse. I ran back, and it was horrible! I couldn't find ANY collar on either dog! So the knife was set aside. My oldest stuck more fingers in the BTs mouth and all of a sudden, they were free. My girls are my heroes and I will never again allow collars on indoors again. After all this, crying and hugging of each other and the dogs, my sweet-heart dogs started licking each other and cuddled on my bed. They have never done that before. I think they knew how lucky they were.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I'm glad your dogs are ok.I usually TRY to take off collars when the dogs are inside,but always worry about something freakish happening and the dogs getting lost,and then I wouldn't have any identification on them. I really don't know why I worry about that though because even when the door is open,they never go outside unless I tell them it's ok. And if the gate to the fence is open, they just come around to one of the doors to be let inside. So I am probably worrying for nothing:confused::eek:.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I have breakaway collars on mine when they are wearing collars (they are made for dog daycares). I also keep a pair of special scissors hanging in my mud room for emergencies. Luckily I've never had to use them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm not comfortable at all with my dog not having her collar on at home, but it's not allowed for all of the reasons mentioned prior. I use a rolled leather collar. It scares me to death worrying about her getting out without her tags. She is microchipped but honestly who checks with no ID?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not comfortable at all with my dog not having her collar on at home, but it's not allowed for all of the reasons mentioned prior. I use a rolled leather collar. It scares me to death worrying about her getting out without her tags. She is microchipped but honestly who checks with no ID?
Glad someone mentioned the microchip thing!
I really hate that most people don't check pets for identification unless they have a collar and tags. That's the reason why I put tags on my dog.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I have used Chinook Keep-Safe Break-Away Collars for about 10 years -- and I love them. You can clip a leash (or quickly grab) onto the double d-ring, and it's no longer "break away," but for just being inside the house, they come off easily during play.

I've found them in the yard and around the house many, many times after wrestling games. They definitely do what they are supposed to do. I'm a very, very happy customer:

http://www.breakawaycollar.com/products.cfm

·
Registered
101 Posts
This happened to my girls once too, scared the crap out of me. Glad everyone is okay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you all rely on the dogs microchips if they get out without a collar?

I worry because I have four dogs and my latest addition likes to grab collars and drag the other dogs when he plays. I may need to find an alternative, but I'm terrified that in gun toting Texas if my dogs got out and weren't wearing tags... It wouldn't end well. Especially being large, dark, GSDs. :help:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Do you all rely on the dogs microchips if they get out without a collar?

I worry because I have four dogs and my latest addition likes to grab collars and drag the other dogs when he plays. I may need to find an alternative, but I'm terrified that in gun toting Texas if my dogs got out and weren't wearing tags... It wouldn't end well. Especially being large, dark, GSDs. :help:

Thoughts?

Arelle, please consider switching to Chinook Break-Away Collars! If they escape, they'll have tags on, but the collar will release a dog before any deadly collar accidents can happen.
Chinook & Co., L.L.C. Home page

The way your dog is playing is a tragic accident in the making. I say that as someone who has experienced it.

I have used the Chinook collars ever since we had one dog accidentally strangle another during play in a collar accident, many years ago, when we were out running errand. She went for the neck to play, her lower jaw went under the other dog's collar, he dropped and rolled, making a figure-8 around her jaw--the more they pulled in a panic to get away, the tighter it got.

We now sometimes find one of the collars loose in the house after a game of rough-and-tumble. The collars really do release with a sharp pull. The worst that happens is the dogs may play tug with it and damage it. I keep a spare or two for that reason.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Ah yes I never posted my scary post on THIS thread. Beau managed to get the BUCKLE of a flat collar hooked on his crate wire. No dangling anything and it was a flat center ring hunting collar designed to not get caught and designed to be able to be backed out of. But He had no room to twist and back out. Fortunately it was 3am and we heard the commotion and he shut up the minute we showed up to free him.

No collars in the crate and I forgot about the chinook collar. I had an original but it kept falling off without any real tension. Do they stay on better? If his collar comes off he chews it up and I would have that to worry about.

141 - 160 of 194 Posts