German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 100 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Unfortunately chips are just not enough. Joe Blow down the road who finds a dog 'MIGHT' call if there are tags with contact info on it, but will not take the time to take the dog to the vet to get scanned. All of my dogs are chipped, but that doesn't give me a sense of security if they are lost without their collars/tags.

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
When we are off property, my dogs always wear their collars w/ tags.
My issue would be that my dogs would be very difficult to catch, with or without a collar, they would not act kindly to someone approaching them( w/the exception of Karlo) The tags wouldn't matter, no security in them wearing them.

It is one of my nightmares that I hope never comes true if they ever wandered. I keep a vigilant eye on them.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Re: Bo and Bella got stuck

Stupid as it sounds....I NEVER have a collar on Kilo.
Unless we are walking or in the summer with customers around (so they know hes not just some random dog running around)
There is alot of stuff around my yard he could get caught on.

·
Registered
31,874 Posts

Chips should not make you feel safe. Not all shelters HAVE a scanner. Some do not bother to scan. Certain chips work with certain scanners. If your dog shows up at a vet clinic accompanied by a human, they WILL NOT scan the dog unless asked to do so, or if they have a flyer on a missing dog that looks like yours. If they are asked to scan the dog by the person, they are not going to bother to send the number in anywhere or look if it is missing. They will just read it off to the person.

Also, dogs running loose with a collar on have half a chance that someone will try to capture or call the warden. Dogs with no collar may be shot as strays. (I live in the country, farmers have a right to protect their livestock, and hunters will practice the three s's if they see a dog chasing deer. It is just how it is.)

Evenso, mine are chipped.

I do not wear collars at home. I am not a fan of breakaway collars. When I take them out, we use a leather collar with their tags. When they are home, they run naked.

·
Registered
656 Posts

I have decided mine are not wearing collars at home now.

My two have run of the house when I'm at work, I only really worry about something happening when I'm not there.

And it's so much better to scratch the ears and rub their necks without a collar on.

But they will wear them when we got out anywhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have two GSDs and a Pomeranian. My husband will NOT tolerate me taking off collars! He gets so bent with me when I take them off- I esp always heard of dogs choking in crates. So I would leave them on except when the dogs were crated. (If they're out, I'm right there anyway). My GSDs do play but I've never seen either of them grab a collar. How can I convince him I'm not crazy?

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I AM getting Travis microchipped. No way will my dogs wear collars.One scare was enough for me.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Originally Posted By: Wayofthewolf How can I convince him I'm not crazy?
Show him this thread and let him read all of our stories. Show him my Penny's picture of her face bitten up and her eyes so swollen. Tell him there was someone home in my story and that even then it happened that fast. Ask him what would have happened if no one was home? I hope that that is enough b/c you don't want to have to personally experience it, it was very scary!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Back in September we had our first (and hopefully last) collar incident. With 2 dogs always playing, we usually never use them in the house or fenced yard. But at the time, Scout had a paw injury so we were trying to limit her activity level while it healed. I had put a flat collar on her with a leash to take her out in the fenced yard for a potty break. Boss came with us and as we were walking back to go into the house he started trying to play with her and in a split second got his jaw caught on her collar. I was right there with her on leash and it did not prevent it from happening. I was trying to unsnap the collar but was having a hard time since they were both freaking out. Luckily they somehow became uncaught on their own because by myself I do not know if I would have been strong enough to get the collar undone before serious damage was done.

I am now hesitant about a collar. Many times we use a harness on Boss and I wonder if it may be a little safer. While a jaw could still get caught on a harness at least it is not around one of the potentially entangled dogs throat and the harness we use has several points it snaps at, so maybe it would be easier to unsnap in an emergency situation

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Was it a metal buckle collar or a plastic snap type?

Usually, with the plastic snap-together type you can get the snap open easily.

With the metal type you need slack in order to get them undone and that's impossible in that situation.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote: Was it a metal buckle collar or a plastic snap type?
Plastic snap type but still nearly impossible for just me by myself to get undone with the two of them flipping around making the collar tighter. Also, I knew they were caught on each other but with all their long coat hair around the neck I was unsure at first who was caught on who. All very scary!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I've had collar incidents too and it is very scary. One time I STUPIDLY forgot and left the prong collar on my husky and crated her when I went out to run an errand. I came home hours later and she had somehow gotten her jaw underneath it. The collar was gagging her and there was blood everywhere from the prongs digging into her gums. I can't believe I didn't lose my dog that day. The collar wasn't loose either so I don't understand how she did that. I don't know what I was thinking as that was the only time I have ever left a training collar on my dog.

Another time my husky and my mom's dog were wrestling on the porch and my dog somehow got her collar caught and twisted around the leg of a table and started freaking out.

Things like this can happen in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for keeping me from having a bad situation. Right after I read this thread I removed our girls collars. I never gave any thought to potential danger of a flat collar indoors. From now on it's collars while on lead only.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've always kept collars on my dogs until resently. I've never had any issues with them(most have been rolled leather collars). My aunt told me about her scare with her Rodesian Ridgebacks collars(nylon flat collars). One of them had gotten his jaw stuck in the others collars and almost strangled him to death. Now, although mine have never messed with eachother's collars, I keep their collars off unless we're out. They wear their harnesses more often than anything though. I just worry about one of them bolting because they tend to do that when given the chance.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I never left collars on my dogs, after an incident when I was a kid and my friends beautiful 2 yo Arab. To this day I still cringe when I see a horse with a halter on out in a field.

My friend and I were almost killed one day trying to save her 2 yo colt after he slipped in the paddock and got his halter stuck in the fence. My friend threw a jacket over his head to try and calm him while I crawled between his leggs to free his head. He was lying in the mud just thrashing. We were lucky, but after that neither my dogs OR my horses were left with collars or halters without supervision, and neither were hers. We were able to save "Baby" (16.2 hands, hehehe) but if we hadnt been there, he probably would have died.

·
Registered
28 Posts

I have never had this occur with any of my dogs and have never had anybody I know of have this problem either. Is this common?

81 - 100 of 192 Posts