German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 80 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
We had that with our 2. The 6 month old got caught up in the 2 month old collar and could not release because the small one flipped and locked it on her jaw.

Oh and by the way, it was a breakaway collar that did not open up. No collar is safe.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My old girls always wore collars, and there was never any trouble except for a few times when one of their tags became caught in the floor heating register grates. Luckily the grates pop out, so the only really bad thing that happened was that they got a bit of a scare.

When we got out two new girls, it just never occurred to me what worse things could happen. Granted, they do play with each other roughly sometimes, and they did love to grab each other's collars while doing so. Well...I'm so glad we took them to obedience school, because the trainer handed out lots of literature and one of the papers had to do with what awful things could happen if two dogs are playing and one gets a collar twisted around its lower jaw.

That very day we removed their collars and they haven't been on since, except for when we take them out in public, because their ID tags are on them. As soon as we get home, the collars come right back off again.

And for walking on a leash, we use a Martingale collar.

At first it was strange having dogs without collars (and not hearing the familiar tinkling sound, which I love) but we've gotten used to it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Originally Posted By: CKWe had that with our 2. The 6 month old got caught up in the 2 month old collar and could not release because the small one flipped and locked it on her jaw.

Oh and by the way, it was a breakaway collar that did not open up. No collar is safe.

Thank you so much for sharing this!

I had been thinking of maybe getting a couple of those breakaway collars, but now I won't.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Cody has been wearing his ID collar for 6 years and has never had an incident with it on. Isa is 4 years and has never had an incident. Though I might rethink this for when we're in the house.
I do want them to wear them in the crate when I leave though because they could get out or something could happen and they escape so I want them to have identification on.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
i am always telling my husband to make sure he takes Neka's prong collar off when they get done walking. i always forsee things that could happen, and i am always careful to take collars off. i have had thoughts of him forgetting to take it off and her getting it caught on something. things do and can happen. scarey!

debbie

Sami AKA Gino Von Rokanhaus
Neka Von Hena C
Toby Von Keiser

Lucy Von Kitty

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Crates are just as dangerous. Rocky got his collar caught between the bars on his crate (he has a lifestages). Dh was working with him on crate training at the time. Rocky does not wear his collar unless he is getting out of the car when are going somewhere or if we are walking. He knows if the collar comes out it is something special so he comes running.

As a puppy (11 weeks or so) before his crate, he managed to climb the baby gate, and get his tag stuck in the the vent. I came home from work and found the vent attached to his collar. Needless to say, he doesnt wear a collar unless absolutely necessary

·
Registered
26 Posts
after reading this I just took all the collars off my dogs. I am headed out for the evening and it hit me, why must they have them on in their crates? (I am online waiting hubby to pull up so we leave lol) So off they go for the night....It took me back to a scary story.

We had pinch collars for a while, for training purposes. We no longer use them, they do just fine on their choke collars, but I could not get the pinch collars off and hubby was at work. Both dogs got hooked to eachother. I kept them calm, but they did get scratched up some. The kids and my mil, who lived with us at the time all freaked, which made keeping them calm harder. Dh came in and disconnected them...and we have not used those collars except in trying to desensitize Nash to cats (never has worked...btw)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Is there something other than a collar that someone could attach an ID tag to on the dog? Seems like anything else would be chewed off by the dog..

I usually leave the flat, belt-style (not snap style) collars on my dogs while I'm gone, since their ID tags are attached. I think it would be highly unlikely that they would get out, but I have left their collars on "just in case". My puppy Tuki loves to grab Riku by the collar when they are outside and Riku is chasing a ball (then Tuki chases him and grabs his collar) but I've never seen her go after his collar any other time then when we play fetch. :|

Does this have to do with how tight the collars are? The "two finger" rule results in a pretty tight collar, not sure how another dog's jaw could get under that..

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
tattoo or microchip is the only option other than tag for ID. Tat's are hard to trace sometimes.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: Ucdcrush...
Does this have to do with how tight the collars are? The "two finger" rule results in a pretty tight collar, not sure how another dog's jaw could get under that..
My sister has always kept her dog's collars snug. She's always used the "2 finger rule" - and it still happened to two of her girls. So yes, it can happen even when using the "2 finger rule"! FWIW she and my BIL were able to get the girls apart without either one sustaining any serious injuries.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: Bo and Bella got stuck

No collars in the house...does not serve any purpose in house, but can be very dangerous as menioned in earlier examples.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have always made it a rule to not have a collar on any of my dogs when they are in the house or in the back yard.
Te only time Keerah wore a collar was on walks or during training,
That was my policy

·
Registered
22 Posts
I worked with a man whose dog was counter surfing while his stay at home wife was out shopping. They had towel hooks in their kitchen. He got a call at work from his hysterical wife. I won't state the details, you can infer, but had his collar not been on, he would still be alive.

When I boarded my dog, I always wondered why they took her collar off. This incident made it very clear.

Sometimes I forget to take my pup's collar off and wake up in the night, gasp and run downstairs to take it off her (in her crate).

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wow, I have never had a dog collar accident. Scary stuff reading here.

I think I'll start taking them off myself, no reason to to have them on as the dogs are well trained not to bolt out the door or anything and I have to get their leash to go out with them anyway.

Might even take em off at the dog park as well, easy enough as they are quick release flat collars.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Crap. It seems like a no win situation. I didn't keep collars on my dogs until recently when one of our foster dogs (not mine) got freaked during a storm outside on her potty trip and got out of the yard and still hasn't been found. I immediately put all the collars back on everyone. Then one night while watching TV, Nixie is rolling around on the carpet in front of me, and I notice something on the floor - it's her tags. The loop that the tags were on got caught in the carpet thread and luckily just broke the clasp. I thought - well, I'll just leave hers off, but leave the others on. Now I guess I'm going to have to rethink this again...

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
If your dogs are chipped, it should be no problem ID'ing them if they get loose w/out a collar.
Next time I take dogs to the vet, I am going to have the chips scanned to be sure they are still in the right location, haven't migrated.

61 - 80 of 192 Posts