German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Re: Bo and Bella got stuck

Thank goodness you were there and able to free them from being stuck. My dogs never wear collars at home for just this reason, I have heard to many horror stories.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

I am going to remove the collars, I never thought that would happen, but your right what if no one was home or my daughter alone with them. That is why I told my story incase someone else like me does not know.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts

First I'm thankful you were around to help them. We've had similar threads before about the dangers of collars. The only time the Hooligans are allowed to wear one is when they're on a lead.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

A friend of my just lost her husky pup from a collar incident like this, I am so glad your two are okay, mine only wear them when we are out walking other than that they are off. Glad to hear your guys are okay!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts

I have first hand knowledge of the dangers of 2 dogs rough housing with collars on. I had to call 911 to have them come cut collars off of Reno and Tessa. Tessa had grabbed Reno's collar and got herself twisted so the collar was around her bottom jaw and everytime she moved it tightened on Reno's neck. I wasn't able to untwist it because it was so tight and I couldn't hold her still and cut at the same time. This all happened in the span of about 30 seconds when I turned my back to change my shoes so I could take them out for a run. Luckily, I lived about 2 minutes from the fire station.

Tessa's jaw was sore from the collar twisting on it and Reno's neck was sore but thankfully that was the worst of it.

It was very very scary. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

I am so glad and lucky they are fine, considering the above stories. They had on the flat collars, so I am surprised he got stuck. He is such a scardy cat, you should of heard him crying. He was pulling really hard to poor Bella.

The only one who got hurt was me, and I don't how must have been my hurry to free them.

I have painful lump on my wrist, like swollen, I better go take an aspirin in case it is a blood clot.

·
Registered
670 Posts

Glad it wasn't worse and thanks for the reminder. Lainey and Booker wear collars and I forget this can happen. Booker has to wear a collar, it is one of his quirks. I distract them when they start grabbing each other neck-wise because I just don't like it.
Throwing a toy usually does it.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

Until I finish repairs to my fence, mine have to wear their collars. Once the fence is dog proofed again, their collars will be off when at home too.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts

my dog never has his collar on at home. he never has his leash on when in the car. we went out for dinner the other night and we took our dog. it started to rain heavy so we had to leave him in the car. i took his collar off while we weren't with him. yes, i could see the car the entire time we were in the restrarunt.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

My best friend lost his female lab because his male GSD got his tooth caught in her collar when nobody was home. He strangled her and then had to carry her around for who knows how long until someone came home. I don't leave collars on in the house and I never leave two dogs together when nobody's home. Ever.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts

Otto got stuck in Morgan's collar last winter (before I loosened it so it comes right off if he grabs it) He was screaming and she was pinning him down trying to get his teeth off, I ran at them thinking 'Oh she's finally snapped and she's going to kill that puppy!'

He always tries to grab her collar, she and I both correct him but he still does it.

I'd take her collar OFF but she'd follow me around with it until I put it back on. Rescues, what are you gonna do, it means a lot to her.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts

Stark and Senna rough house ALL the time. For this reason, collars come off once they enter the house.

It makes me nervous to think of them getting caught somewhere.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

SO SO glad you were there and could help!!

Accidents like this happen so much more than people realize. It happened to my two- playing and Sasha got caught in Penny's collar. Someone was home and able to assist but Penny's eyes almost got squeezed out of her head! It was really scary!

So yes never leave the collars on, but if you insist that they wear one buy a breakaway collar- they break apart if hung up on something. And microchip- better than a collar anyways.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

OH MY gosh, your poor Penny, look at that scar! Is that permenant? How scarey.

I have had dogs my whole life and nothing ever happened with collars but I never had two big dogs at the same time like I do now.

They always are rough housing and grabbing each others necks.
They are right back at it today and now WITHOUT collars on. Looks better too with no collar. They both are micro chipped.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Thank goodness everyone is ok! I showed this to Philip last night. He used to think I was crazy for insisting the dogs don't wear their collars in the house. I'd try to tell him if they were playing and got stuck and we weren't home... etc etc etc...Of course that was before we lost Magnum. He finally believes me now and won't fight me on it, or leave collars on Mya or any other we adopt in the future.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

Originally Posted By: Heidi W Is that permenant?
Her faced had to be shaved at the vet so they could clean the punctures made by Sasha's teeth. All the hair grew back and you could never tell now. The biggest concern that day was her eyes- they were huge and blood shot from her neck being squeezed.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

I am really glad she is better, my Dh was not aware of the danger either and I showed him my bruise on my hand from trying to free his teeth. Well I learned a valuable lesson.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

Thanks for posting this, because it made me realize I need to be careful when Bianca plays with her friend Calvin... Today they were at the park and I think Bianca's tooth got stuck on Calvin's collar for a second when she went to play-bite him. Calvin also chews on and play-bites Bianca's neck a lot so he could possibly get caught as well.
Although, I'm not sure what I can do about that since Calvin is not my dog and we can't really let the dogs play collarless in the city park... I guess I can put Bianca's breakaway collar on and maybe ask Calvin's owner if she can put his harness on instead of his collar when they play.

·
Registered
849 Posts

I've had dogs for 30 years and just had the first bizarre collar accident a couple nights ago. Coco sleeps near the window in my bedroom, her collar got caught on an iron plant stand that held a VERY large, VERY heavy plant in clay pot. I woke up to the crash. Plant down, pot broken into many pieces, and Coco still attached to the plant's stand was clanging all around the room tripping and slipping and in a total panic. Thank God I was home to assist. I removed the stand from her neck & luckily the enormous plant didn't harm her when it fell.
My dogs have always worn collars and even after this incident, it didn't occur to me to remove the collar indoors! I never imagined such a weird accident could happen. I'm going to get breakaways. Thanks for this caution.

21 - 40 of 192 Posts