German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Titan Almost Strangled Katie

I'm sitting talking on the phone to my sister, and the dogs are laying down. Katie gets up, Titan gets up to follow her, and does his usual hanging on her collar routine he always does to bug her. Well I guess from doing it alot, he's loosened her collar up a bit, and his whole bottom jaw slipped in the collar, and when Katie went to move away from him, it twisted around his jaw so it was stuck. He starts howling and screaming, and she starts screaming, I toss the phone and jump up to see what was going on. They were only a step away from me, thank God. Katie is gagging and having a hard time breathing, the collar was basicly strangling her, and Titan is pulling on his jaw and her collar to get out. I grabbed him by the scruff to get him to stop, release her collar, and freed him. It took me a good 45 seconds to get him out of it. During all this he lets his anal glands go
so now my house reeks. Scared the crap out of me, now I think we'll have to check Katie's collar every morning to make sure it doesn't happen again! Just glad I was there to see it happen and make sure they each didn't get hurt more. They're both fine now, Titan seems to be hiding in the corner, and Katie is lying next to me.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Re: Titan Almost Strangled Katie

I NEVER have my dogs wearing collars in the house for that exact reason.

Went through the same thing with my two boys - Remi and Riggs - years ago. They were both wearing fur savers and Remi got his lower canines stuck in one link of Riggs' collar. Luckily I was able to calm them and free them.

Collars and leashes are hung by the back door. They only go on when we are going outside and if the dogs are going in the field to play they come off once they are inside the field.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

I'm glad the pups are okay... This happens more than you think.

My pups don't wear their collars in the house for this reason and they have breakaway collars for day care...

Here's one type: (Not an endorsement but example's sake only)

Breakaway Collars

Something to consider.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I think we may be going to the no collars in the house soon. Only thing I worry about is them slipping out the door. Its only happened once, and it was my niece who happened to let her out. I guess it'd be less of a worry to have them strangeled than have her slip out without one on. Awww I'm still freaked out from it. So glad I was there to help it.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts

I lost my Jake that way. I'm glad you were there to save yours.
It's horrible. No collars in this house anymore.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

No they aren't, we were thinking of having Titan microchipped when we take him in for neutering. I had asked my vet when we had Katie spayed, but she said not many people in RI were using it, and it wasn't standardized yet, so different companies were making different chips and readers, so I was a bit weary of paying money and having it not work. I'll have to look into it again.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

I don't use collars in the house either an although I am very strict as to door behavior, I have an x-pen outside and if one did push out they are inside a pen which would stop them long enough for me to get there. The cost was worth it for my peace of mind and everyone just gets used to pulling it shut when they come in. Just an idea

·
Registered
5,077 Posts

this is not a freak accident but a common occurance, this happened to my dogs when jazmin and paige were young and they never wore collars again unless walking.this has happened to at least three other families that I know cause dogs will commonly go for the neck/collar when playing.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts

Nikki, I'm glad they're OK! That exact same thing happened with Otto and Morgan, he was about Titan's age and as I was running to break them up, I thought OMG, she's finally snapped and she's going to kill him.

·
Registered
330 Posts

We live and learn. Glad you were there !
Our golden was strangled by the neighbor's husky.This happened back in the 80's, as I said we live and learn. Our golden was out in the yard, neighbor's husky came along, they were playing, I look out the window and the husky was pulling Lexie.Lexie was limp. I yelled for my husband, who ran out, I watched him pull his jack knife out. I didn't know yet what the problem was. Lexie wore a rolled red leather collar.My husband had to cut the collar. The husky had gotten his jaw caught up in the collar, it twisted.He strangled her.She was gone.I'm yelling, crying screaming. Then I remembered... a few weeks back I read an article how a man got his dog breathing again by picking her up by the hind legs and swinging her around.I had read this article at the time to my husband, and we both chuckled at the thought of swinging your dog by its hind legs.My husband picked Lexie up and swung her around and her gaurdian angel was with her !! We couldn't believe it ! Off to the vet, she was fine, just scared.I went home to try to find the article and could never find it, I still had all my magazines from the month.
Anyways, after that experience no more collars on my guys while they are playing or left alone together..I do many things different with my guys now than I did 25 years ago.
If you crate a dog, the tags on the collar can get caught in the mesh.
When I first got my dish washer, Matey was a good one for licking the plates as I was loading(yes its gross...it was short lived). I came in from her walk , I was in a hurry, didn't remove her collar right away.Started to load the plates, turned my back for second, heard crash, boom bang ! Her tags got caught in the lower basket, she panicked, pulled the basket out, sent corelle wear dishes smashing and splintering all over the floor.
Yep, we live and learn.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts

The Hooligans are never allowed to wear collars except when they're on lead. I've known people whose dogs have died from both choke collar and flat collar accidents.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Well thats settled, no more collars on in our house! I also called my dad who is bringing home his second doxie in a few weeks and told him. Scary. I'm so glad I was there to see it happen. Titan just got a bath to get a bit of the anal gland stink out of him.

As for the door, we are planning on having our fence moved about 15 feet up, so it will enclose our side door, the one we use all the time. Company will use the front door. I've been planning on having my sister come over and working on door behaviour with me, looks like its going to be this weekend. Have to work on the "place" command next! Thanks for the tips everyone, and sorry to hear of everyone's losses with this issue
I'm glad it didn't come to that.

·
Registered
989 Posts

Originally Posted By: M&JThese work very well.

http://www.breakawaycollar.com/
I have these on my dogs and love them. I never had a collar accident, but a friend of mine lost a 6 month old GDS pup to one and at work I got a call to a dog sceaming and the dog was tangled in a choke chain, luckily he survived. I am very paranoid about collars.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

Nikki I am so glad to hear your dogs are okay!

Originally Posted By: SuzyEthis is not a freak accident but a common occurance,
Suzy you are so right!!! Similar happened to my dogs, sashas mouth got stuck in penny's collar and almost strangled her. It was VERY scary and what if there hadn't been someone home.

Take the collars OFF ( or use the breakaways )!! I hope others read and learn from our mistakes!!

Poor Penny:

·
Registered
280 Posts

When my dog (Not full GSD) was about a year old I used to keep a chain collar on him all the time. Until one day I came home from work and he was in his crate and his collar was hooked to the bottom of the crate. Naturally he was panicking trying to pull his head away from the bottom of the crate and at the same time choking himself. Thank God I came home when I did or he might have strangled himself. Freaked me out big-time and now he never wears a collar unless we are out. He doesn’t use a crate anymore either but it's just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Bo and Bella got stuck

It just a happened oh my, they are doing there typical mouthing and biting each others neck like always. Then all of a sudden one of them starts screaming, scared me so much. I could not tell which one at first. But it was Bo, He was attached to Bella's neck. I thouight at first she had bit into his jaw and she was stuck in it but thank goodness no. He had his top muzzel in her mouth and his bottom jaw under her jaw stuck on her collar. His teeth were hooked on it and he could not get off. Bella was so good she was staying still and he was screaming and pulling. I hurt my hand some how pulling open his jaw to free him off her collar. He ran and hid behind the couch. He was afraid, and won't come out till I got him a treat. He is fine but he is acting scared of me. I helped him!!! This is the first time I have had two GSD at one time and they sure rough house alot. Sometimes it is to much.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts