German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All,

I just found out for the 4th time that our food, California Natural was recalled. This time our actual bags of food are tainted. I'm at my wits end finally finding a food that worked for my girls and having it recalled over and over again.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a kibble that is high in fiber, doesn't contain any poultry or lamb, grain-free and a good quality food.

Thanks so much for your help!

Michelle and Scout :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
I got so tired of worrying about recalls with commercial dog food that I switched completely to a homemade cooked diet. Our GSD was having chronic digestive and allergy issues and no commercial food product we tried seemed to improve his condition at all. He’s been on homemade cooked for 6 months now and aside from the occasional digestive upset (he still has a sensitive system) his chronic digestive issues and allergies are gone. It takes some work on our part – it takes approx. 2 ½ hours per week to make the weekly recipe.

I consulted with a canine nutritionist to ensure that the diet was balanced. PM me and I can provide you the contact information for the nutritionist if you are interested.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem with a lot of the foods suggested is they either have chicken or lamb in the ingredients or aren't high fiber.

Maybe I should give a homemade recipe a try. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Did I mention it's Scout's 4th Birthday today. :-D

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
The problem with a lot of the foods suggested is they either have chicken or lamb in the ingredients or aren't high fiber.

Thanks guys!

None of the three recipes I posted have any chicken or lamb. As for fibre, I don't know what you consider high fibre but I thought I'd take a chance they'd be acceptable levels

Look up the RAW/BARF sections of the forum and you'll find lots of help there.

:birthday: Scout :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nature's Variety Instinct (what I use) has a Duck & Turkey formula, a Rabbit formula, and a Salmon formula. None of which have chicken nor grains.

Also, Nutrisca Salmon formula. Salmon is the only meat, and 6% fiber. And it's also made with chickpeas instead of your typical potato.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Thanks guys!

IDK what % fiber you want but your not going to get much higher then 5%

·
Registered
31,797 Posts
I'm looking at Victor. US sourced and made.

·
Registered
874 Posts
blue buffalo large breed puppy for puppy and there are lots of variations in the blue buffalo line with different ingredients and grain frees. I will stay on this food as long as it works for Roxy

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
what's wrong with poultry and lamb? there's plenty of
kibble and can to choose from. don't forget you can always
add fresh fish, fowl, beef, pork, veggies, fruit, oils, yogurt (organic),
raw and a lot of other things that i'm missing.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Some dogs can't eat certain ingredients, doggiedad.

I was also affected by this recall though I have no intention of switching brand or formula. Cal Nat Lamb and Rice is the only food I've tried that ALL of my dogs do spectacular on as well as small, hard, virtually odorless poop.

I've been sick this week and didn't notice until last night that I was out of dog food. I went to the pet store today and they've pulled all the Cal Nat. Everyone else in the store was there for the same reason, we all have to switch cold turkey :( Even the store manager. She suggested Natural Balance Lamb and Rice LID for me but that won't work for you.

This afternoon I sent in the codes to get a rebate for my last bag (the one we just finished yesterday) which was included in the recall. I have a friend with an entire pallet (10 bags) included in the recall.

The cashier at the pet store confirmed this is a precautionary recall, NO dogs have actually gotten sick. He also told me that the standard for salmonella in dog food is actually MORE strict than that for human food, even though dogs are not as affected by salmonella and humans....well you'd think we'd have higher standards! I personally would have kept feeding it and just submitted the codes for rebates, but obviously the store was obligated to pull it off the shelves.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Honest Kitchen is the only company that the FDA allows the words "Human Grade" to be legally used on their products and advertisements. I use this when on vacation and don't want to take raw with me.
Here are two Honest Kitchen Products that might work for you:
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]LOVE: All Life Stages: Dehydrated hormone-free beef, sweet potatoes, potatoes, organic flaxseed, organic coconut, parsley, dandelion greens, papaya, cranberries, pumpkin, honey, rosemary, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate. Protein, 31% minFat, 18.5% minFiber, 7.8% maxMoisture, 7.8% max514 Calories per cup[/FONT]

PREFERENCE: Ground Meat needs to be added to this one: Ingredients: Dehydrated sweet potatoes, organic alfalfa, cabbage, organic coconut, apples, spinach, pumpkin, bananas, celery, organic kelp, honey, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate. 12% Protein, 6% Fat, 10% Fiber, 10% Moisture, 333 Calories per cup (because you need to add meat).

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wouldn't worry about picking a food high in fiber - you can always add pumpkin puree or another high fiber veg to it.

FWIW - I have been happy with the Blue Buffalo line. They have a "Basics Salmon and Potato" formula that might work for you.

I've use multiple products from their line and have never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Forgot to mention that this is a dehydrated food so don't let the price shock you!
A 10# box of Love makes approximately 40 pounds of food and costs about $3.80-$4 per pound (this is their most expensive one). Others varieties with turkey or chicken costs about $2.50 per pound, depending.
A 7# box of Preference (this is the variety that you need to add meat to) makes approximately 29 pounds of food and costs about $50.
:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts