German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of these threads do we need?

I just took Koda for our morning walk and got charged by two dogs off leash, a Boxer and a Yellow Lab. We were happily walking down the street and about to pass a park on our left. I noticed a lady with her kids and the two dogs, then thought to myself, "I should turn around or cross the street, just in case", but decided since she appeared to be holding on to the dogs that it was okay to keep going. Guess I was wrong...

The dogs ran up barking while I tried to pull Koda and keep walking. I said, "Can you call your dogs, please?!"...Which in the tone of voice I used sounded a lot like, "Call your :censored: dogs, idiot". All she could manage to do was say, "Sorry", and send her two twelve year olds running after the dogs. :rolleyes: She couldn't even be bothered to get up. Meanwhile I yelled at her again to call off her dogs while trying to drag Koda away.

Luckily the dogs stopped within a few feet of Koda and I. Nothing happened, but it doesn't mean that something wouldn't have. Her kids grabbed the dogs while I stumbled away grumbling, trying to keep Koda from saying "hi" to these strange dogs, which is all he wanted to do. Who knows if they were friendly though...

I have no problem with people having their dogs off leash in a situation like that so long as they're responsible and have the dogs under control. I trust Riley completely off leash. I'm vigilant, aware of my surroundings and who or what might be in them, and if she sees something and I say "Stop", she will do so dead in her tracks. I don't yet trust Koda off leash completely, so I don't let him, it's as simple as that. If you can't control your dogs without a leash, leave it on them.

I hate idiocy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I totally agree with you on this one. My GSD is only 8 months so we are still working on walking on a loose leash, proper leash behaviour and greeting new people and dogs, so when he gets charged by a dog off leash it really screws up our training. For that reason I purposely take him for walks at ON LEASH parks, but it seems as though some people this that rule doesn't apply to them. Their dogs may very well be trained and behaved but it is an on leash park for a reason, we have many off leash parks and areas so if you are going to walk your dog off leash then go somewhere dedicated to that.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Luckily the dogs stopped within a few feet of Koda and I. Nothing happened, but it doesn't mean that something wouldn't have. Her kids grabbed the dogs while I stumbled away grumbling, trying to keep Koda from saying "hi" to these strange dogs, which is all he wanted to do. Who knows if they were friendly though...
Sounds like a normal day in the life of a dog owner.

Dogs run up to greet. Dogs stop dead a distance away. You control your dog too.

NOTHING HAPPENS.

Just another day in my life with my dogs.

Like I keep saying. I may not LIKE off leash dogs I don't know running up to us.

I may not WANT off leash dogs I don't know running up to us.

But........................ But.......................

I KNOW OFF LEASH DOGS WILL DO THIS.

So instead of getting mad. Or upset. Or obsessed. Or crazed. Or angry. Or hating everyone I see with off leashed dogs.

I make sure my dogs are socialized and trained to deal properly with the situation when off leash dogs run up.

I make sure THAT I am able to properly assess the attitude of the oncoming dogs, which may involve just yelling at the owners to assure that their dogs are friendly (or not).

If I am calm. If my dogs are calm. If I control (quietly and calmly) the situation by assessing and acting normal........then the dogs all do to!

So I love the 'tale of the Off Leash Dog'' in this thread. Cause it shows, once again, that almost all off leash meeting turn out just fine. :wub:

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know everything turned out fine, but it could have turned out badly if her dogs were aggressive, you know? Koda is okay with other dogs, he proved that, and luckily her dogs stopped within a certain distance and didn't do anything...But this thread very well could have turned into some other threads I've seen recently where people's dogs have been attacked by aggressive dogs loose in the neighborhood. Dogs that should never have been off leash.

I'm not upset that her dogs were off leash, I'm upset that they weren't under her control. I would never let Riley off the leash unless I was certain she was trustworthy, and I am. She's proven it time and again with distractions. Even still, if I have her off leash while hiking and another dog approaches, I'll put her back on (Even though I know she won't charge and will stop when asked to) just in case. Plus, it probably puts the other owner's mind at ease. It's just polite if you ask me...

So, yes, Koda and I were fairly calm in this situation and nothing happened. I just get annoyed with people who are irresponsible and inconsiderate. :)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I know everything turned out fine, but it could have turned out badly if her dogs were aggressive, you know? Koda is okay with other dogs, he proved that, and luckily her dogs stopped within a certain distance and didn't do anything...But this thread very well could have turned into some other threads I've seen recently where people's dogs have been attacked by aggressive dogs loose in the neighborhood. Dogs that should never have been off leash.
EXACTLY, there's always a chance of aggressive dogs. But the fact of the matter is, the VAST MAJORITY of dog greetings (unless it's MY dog that attacks from lack of training and socialization) turn out to be fine!

I'm not naive (sp?). I know there are 'bad' dogs out there. But of the thousands of dogs I've met, they are very few and I choose to prepare my dogs for the fact that most dogs (like most people) aren't actually mass murderers....

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
So I love the 'tale of the Off Leash Dog'' in this thread. Cause it shows, once again, that almost all off leash meeting turn out just fine. :wub:
My meeting today turned out just fine as well. Except that the yellow lab who charged us didn't stop but tried to grab Anton's neck, Anton was absolutely ready to engage but I did not let him. I had fallen on the road, hit my elbow hard, two cars stopped, two people helped to make the sweet yellow lab retreat. Where were his owners? I have seen a bunch of kids enjoying the snow far away and the dog went in there direction. No owners even acknowledged this situation.

If I were a cop I would shoot that lab on a spot. I'm not a cop so next time any dog that charges us will be pepper sprayed and smacked with a baseball bat if I care to carry one with me. That will be my preparation for the next encounter.

Sorry, but my elbow really hurts right now, maybe I will think differently tomorrow.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
A friend and i were in a parking lot recently at the local university where we meet and train our GSD's every Saturday morning. my dog was in the crate in the car and hers was on leash with us as we talked. A family pulled up across the lot and started to get out. their pit bull got out, evidently slipped his lcollar and in a flash came running over to us and literally just jumped on her dog and engaged with him. No preliminaries, no growling or barking, just "WHAMM"!
Fortunately the owner followed quickly behind and was able to get his dog off of her GSD. No permanent harm to her dog except a small puncture wound but it could have been a disaster.

So there are a few dogs who will not be scared off by a human and who can tell which are which - I wiould not hesitate to stop a dog running at me or my dog by any means possible. It is not too difficult to tell a truly dangerous dog from a friendly one most of the time and i would rather err in over reacting than underestimating a loose dog coming at us. Just an opinion!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
You have no idea if a dog charging is friendly or not and one is naive to assume that because many dogs are friendly that one shouldn't be upset or concerned. One only needs to be in a line of work that gets the phone call that someone or someones pet was attacked by an off lead dog or a dog that got loose from its owner to realize that there are more aggressive dogs out there than people would like to believe.

It's generally not big news unless it's a pit or pit type that brutally attacks someone, but there are regularly pets attacked and killed by loose dogs.

How your dog behaves can't always save it either. Not knocking anyone here but the reality is that you should not assume that the dog will be friendly. Be prepared to defend yourself and your dog.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This happen twice at the park where I walk my dog. Most people use a leash on their dog. There was this young lady that had a big black labrador and a boxer. She just let them run lose. I had to wait for at least 30 minutes to see if she's going to come closer. Luckily she turned around. Today there was another lady that was walking two dogs off leash. They charge at us. I stomp my feet on the ground, and they ran back to their owner.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I have had off leash dogs charge at my dogs and I. I am always careful, whether the dog is friendly or not. I don't mind people walking their dogs off leash as long as they have complete control of the dogs. I might not agree with it, but I understand as long as the owner has complete control, because there are idiot owners no matter where you go. I use a leash for my safety and my dogs.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Just a few nights ago, I was walking my black lab, Corina, who is well socialized and never has any problem with other dogs. A dog about the same size as her, possibly a bulldog/lab mix came running at us. The owner was calling to the dog and chasing him, so I think he just got out the door; not that the owner was intentionally letting him run loose. He ran up and started fighting with Corina. I yelled at him to get away. He circled around us and jumped on Corina again. Somehow I wound up falling flat on my back on the pavement. My head actually bounced and I saw stars for a few seconds, then I jumped back up and yelled at the owner to get his dog. By then the owner was there and did get his dog on the leash. There was no real harm done, except I had a bit of a headache. Corina was not bit. We were so scared though. My husband wanted to "have a talk" with this neighbor, but I said no. I mean crap happens with dogs and it was an accident, not deliberately letting his dog run loose. I will assume he will be more careful about this dog getting out in the future. To be on the safe side, we won't walk down that street anymore. If this had been our other lab, it would have turned out differently because Corina doesn't want any trouble and stopped defending herself as soon as the other dog stopped. Loki would not have backed down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts