German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a previous post about certain things my puppy was doing " Signs of fear ". I contacted my breeder and he put me in touch with a trainer who works mostly with German shepherds.

The trainer is great and even comes to the walks i do with my dog and observes her behavior so he can see it in a real setting not one he has made. And he said some things that baffled me, so i thought id ask here if any1 else has been told the same or has experienced the same.

I leash walk her to the park and then let her off. While there, she has always barked at certain types of people and never at others. Once he observed this, after the walk he pulled me over and said i have a wonderful dog, but she shows signs of aggression. I personally dont see my dog as aggressive, but apparently these little barks when she turns older will turn into full blown attacks.

Has anybody else been told this? My puppy will walk fine but if she see's anybody she immediately stands with ears alert, and starts barking but in the same deep voice she uses, whenever anybody comes in my gate. And as ive said before she will bite people who put there hand in my gate, unless i say enough. ( While i say enough in the park, she refuses to stop barking until they walk away / But anybody who is small or has a dog, she doesnt bark at and just lay's down and rolls around )

I also informed him that if people go near her neck, she grabs their wrist and pulls down. ( I have told people to not stroke her as she doesnt like it from strangers ) Also i let her mouth me as she puts no pressure but only when i allow it. But if others try, she immediately puts pressure on.

While he is working on all these things with me. Im wondering if anybodies shepherd has had the same behavior, if so it'd be very helpful to know what the reason was and what you did. I do not want her vicious or aggressive, i want her 2 be a calm family dog but protective when i command her not when she feels she wants 2.

O and incase people think she should stay on a leash because of this behaviour, she doesnt leave my side, and comes on instant command.

She is 18 weeks. Any advise would be greatly helpful.

·
Registered
658 Posts
IMO, it sounds like you're allowing your dog too much freedom. I'm no trainer but your dog needs a lot more socializing. She shouldn't feel the need to always be on alert or jump when she sees people. That's a bad reaction which you need to make it more positive for her. I agree with your trainer. She could get more aggressive down the road. Training builds confidence in the dog and they are less likely to react if their confident.

Its okay now because she's still small but try to get her to warm up to strangers and to be more calm. Keep her on a leash so she'll be more comfortable around things with her owner beside her. Take her to new places, new environments, etc... Oh, and to answer the question if I've ever been told the same thing... No. Immediately, when I got my girl, I was scared and didn't know what to expect. She's my first dog ever and I did my research and asked questions from the people on this forum. I was always expecting the worst so it made me work harder with my girl to prevent unfortunate events. Good luck! Your pup's still young so you've got time. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, before i got her i got some books from amazon and spoke to my local vet. Once my pup had her injections i took her 2 as many new places as i could, i take her 2 new places a week. And have always socialized her. My auntie has 3 dogs, and my uncle has 3. I drive to them atleast once a week. And when in the park, she always see's new dogs and plays with them. Its just people without dogs she barks and gets alert at. But thanks for advice, ill try and get her to 3-4 new places a week.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
GSDkid is spot in, this puppy has too much freedom. You literally have a baby at 18 weeks. She should be leashed when in public, you are her protector, she should be looking to you for leadership, direction and security. Sounds to me she feels like she needs to do these things on her own. Build her confidence & continue to train with her (group training classes?) train at home. Just being around strangers will help but it doesn't always mean they have to be touching her, they can but not all the time.

Engage her in play, redirect her when she starts mouthing. Check this thread out.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/134407-teaching-bite-inhibition.html

You have a GSD puppy that is full of energy and curious about the world around them. Again, bond with this puppy with training & play, be a strong leader...this is setting the puppy up for success!

(I don't agree with the trainer telling you he sees signs of aggression with this 18 week old puppy)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have to say my puppy is 2 weeks older than yours and WAS exactly the same. But the more I let her off the leash the better she got, and now she just wants to play with everyone. It really helped her confidence to play with other (friendly) dogs at the park. However, I am NOT telling you this is what you should do at all. I'm not experienced by any means. I only let her play with dogs we have gotten to know whilst on leash.

But my puppy also still stop and stare at people, sometimes with a bark or growl. It seems to be old men, along, wearing hats?? Am I contributing to this by letting her off leash? I've been told that it could be because she is ON the leash when this happens and she feels she cannot get away. She only ever does it when she is on the leash.

(Sorry to hijack your thread, your puppy just sounds so similar to mine).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts