German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man this is worse than when I had my first kid lol. Not understanding the kennel theroy. We bought one today cause we almost had a nightmare last night. The way I understand it, is when the puppy sleeps he should be in his kennel ( if possible, when at home) well....we put him in when he was ready to take his nap....bammm he cryed and cryed. Is this what we are suppose to do???

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I put our pups in a crate next to our bed at night. I put in a t shirt I've worn, a stuffed toy and something to chew on. When you want your puppy to go in there, just pop him in without a word and walk away. Same with letting him out- no big greeting or party, just open the door. Start with just a few minutes, then gradually increase the time, although the very first night they were home they went to bed in the crate for the night. Ignore any crying, maybe put a towel or blanket over it at night to make it dark and den-like. It shouldn't take too many nights for him to settle down and enjoy his crate. If you leave him for hours during the day make sure he has something to do like a puppy Kong with peanut butter or something else to chew on. So what's your pup's name? How old is he?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Brody cried for a couple weeks also! They get used to it. I put a tshirt with my scent in it too and would just walk away. I also associated the kennel with a good thing by giving him a treat. Now when he sees me run upstairs with a treat in my hand he flies past me and runs into his kennel. He never cries anymore...only if we're sleeping in late and he has to pee...I don't blame him though ;)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Make him suck it up don't cave in. Soon enough he'll be going in there voluntarily to sleep and lounge as long as you don't let him out when he cries like a cute baby:)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i agree with Zoey's Mom

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you have to crate train him. our pup cried
for a 1/2 hour his first night home. the 2nd
night he cried 15 minutes and the 3rd night
he cried 5 minutes. after the 3rd night all was quiet.
before my pup came home i asked the breeder to crate
him and give him soon car rides. when i was crate training
i would put my pup in his crate many times during the day
for 5 or 10 minutes. i slowly increased the time. sometimes i would sit in the room with him, sometimes i would leave the room and the house.
at night my pup was always crated. his crate was in the livingroom.
when ever i crated my pup i would pick him and sit him down in front
of his crate and say "go to your crate". then i helped in the crate.
i don't remember how long it took but one day i said "go to
your crate" and he got up and went to his crate. then i started
saying "go to your crate" from different parts of the house.
"go to your crate" or "go to your bed" comes in handy when
some one visits or there's a knock at the door.

oh yeah, they do cry a lot in the begining of crate training.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
It's kind of like when you put your child down for a nap in the crib and they didn't want to go. They cried. Puppies are the same, they're still babies. Give him some toys and such like others have suggested. It helps. In the long run, the crate is a lifesaver and you will come to love it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
One thing to remember is to never let him out when he is crying, since he will quickly figure out that crying is his ticket out. If you think he might need to potty, then take him out (I always carried mine out, no talking, no petting) and if she didn't go, then she went back in the crate. During the day, I would put her in, and as soon as she was quiet, I let her out. I gradually increased the time that she had to be quiet, and she quickly learned that whining didn't get her out. I always left her crate door tied open when she wasn't in it (so it couldn't close on her and scare her), and would randomly hide treats in the blanket when she wasn't around for her to find in there.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts