German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I was wondering if the breeders said she was a purebred, and her parents both had papers (they were showed to us). Why havent I recieved anything from them is she purebred. She looks like it.
I wanted to breed her and I needed any information she is about to be six months and we are noth going to breed her until she is at least 2. We are researching like crazy and making sure we know 110% before we do something that can hurt my Smokee Bear in the long run. Would love some Advice and support. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I predict you won't get much support for breeding a 2 yr old, or breeding her at all. Especially if you're not sure of her lines. She's really cute!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank ya.Thank ya. Well see I need to know what is a good age She way to hyper she needs to be bred. It will calm her down and she will be so much better with children!!!!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm sorry, but that's a terrible reason to breed a dog. You already stated the health of your pup is not the best and that she is not from a reputable breeder.

I bought my German Shepherd from a "breeder" in town. My Smokee was the runt, and very scrawny but when me and my boyfrend saw her, we instantly fell in love. Well these people said that they had her dewormed and, she had no type of worms. She is almost 6 months is ver skinny no matter how much I feed her she wont put the weight on. So I took her to the Vet and they took a stool sample. She has Tapeworms and numerous ones!!!!
We had to give her the hightest dose of medicine to kill them, and she is sick, because it was so harsh to her stomach.We also have to increase her feed for a month and she must take a vitamin powder three times a day. We go back in a week to take bloodwork and see if she needs in further medical care.
I predict you will find lots of support here for your pup and taking care of her and zero support for breeding.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Thank ya.Thank ya. Well see I need to know what is a good age She way to hyper she needs to be bred. It will calm her down and she will be so much better with children!!!!!!
Breeding her will not make her calm down or be better with children. I'm not sure if this is some sort of old wives tale or what, but it's simply not true.
Cure for hyperactivity: Exercise and training. She needs tons of both mental and physical exercise.
Cure for behavior with children: Socializing with children and training.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Please do not breed your dog, there are already way too many animals dying in shelters everyday because people "wanted a puppy from their dog" or they wanted her to have just one litter or they wanted to make a quick buck or their unaltered animal got out and bred with another dog or strays that keep reproducing. So please go take a look at your local animal shelter, more than half of those dogs in there will not be making it back out. :(

If more people were responsible then we wouldn't have so many animals dying every single day in shelters.

Breeding should be left to Reputable Breeders, people that are looking to better the breed, people with great breed worthy dogs, looking to breed healthier GSD's and GSD's that have great temperment and the ability to preform any task that their owner gives to them. Reputable breeders title, health test, temperment test and choose the best of the best to breed.

You have to look at the big picture, if you bring 10 puppies into the world when you breed your GSD and 2 of those puppies get bred and they have 10 puppies and 2 of those puppies get bred and they have 10 puppies each, in a matter of about 5-10 years YOU brought 50 more puppies into this world when there are already puppies dying in shelters everyday because there are not enough homes for them all.

Your puppies will have puppies, and those puppies will have puppies........ the cycle will continue and more lives will be lost in shelters.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
She's hyper because she's young. Breeding her will not calm her down and make her better with children. Exercise, socialization, and training will calm her down and make her better with children.

If you did not fill out the paperwork to get her AKC papers, you will not receive any AKC papers, regardless of whether her parents were registered or not. You would need to contact the breeder to fill out the paperwork.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Umm sorry guys but when you breed your dog you become responsible for that dog and any lives you create. What yall are saying makes no sense. Every person that has read/ commented on this :Did yall adopt a kid because lets look at the big piture you have three kids and each one of them has three kids and then each one of them has a kid or two or five. It is the same thing there are millions of kids out there in shelters, and it is the same thing there are millions of dog that do not have homes that need to be adopted. The reason that dogs are in shelters is because people buy dogs and dont take care of them and then let them run around and not fix them. I am an active member of the spca and believe that you should adopt. I have a terrier that is from the shelter, and he is a sweetheart but he is a mutt. And those "purebred" dogs are overly bred and I refuse to ever buy from them. They are the kind of peole that started dieseases in the breeds and people that are trying to make a quick buck...

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
She way to hyper she needs to be bred. It will calm her down and she will be so much better with children!!!!!!
Who told you this? It's simply not true, and they have no idea what they're talking about. Training and socialization will calm her down, and make her better behaved. Breeding will just create puppies.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
And those "purebred" dogs are overly bred and I refuse to ever buy from them. They are the kind of peole that started dieseases in the breeds and people that are trying to make a quick buck...

You bought your dog from a bad breeder who didn't do any health checks like xray the parents' hips, correct?

You want to breed this dog that you have no idea if genetic diseases run in her line, correct?

And what would that make you?

Please read:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/thinking-about-becoming-breeder/149386-should-i-breed-my-dog-flowchart.html

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Personally I don't like the "breeding dogs kills shelter puppies" attitude and won't ever get on board with that, I agree with the OP on that one. Having volunteered at an animal shelter, I'd say most of the dogs that came in were ALREADY spayed or neutered. People dump their dogs - any size, age, breed, intact, neutered - because they are too lazy to deal with "problems" or because they genuinely can no longer provide proper care.

Anyway.....that said, where does this idea that breeding a hyper dog makes it calm come from? Can't say I've heard that before.

Also, if the intent was to start a respectable breeding program, why get an unhealthy, unregistered dog from an admittedly lousy breeder?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If your saying my dog shouldnt be here because she might carry dieseases, then you are wrong god created her for a reason, and she has madean impact on so many lives already, and for you info The vet has done numerous test she is healthy she had tapeworms not cancer!!!!If I had to go back in time to pick a dog I would pick her all over again because I Who knows where she would be and I probably saved her froming being put down or worse killed because her breeders were to ignorant to treat her for worms.:)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
No, we're asking for what purpose would you BREED her, not why you own her. A dog can live a long, healthy, fulfilling life without being bred...

FWIW if you want to make an impact on the cycle her breeders are perpetuating, offer to purchase or adopt the dam rather than give them money for a puppy. That is what they want, people get suckered in by cute little puppy and will pay for it claiming they "rescued" it, meanwhile the breeder gets away with below-minimum standard of care AND gets paid to boot. The only way to stop this cycle is to cut the supply ("save" the breeding dog) or the demand (don't give people like this one cent).

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
If your saying my dog shouldnt be here because she might carry dieseases, then you are wrong god created her for a reason, and she has madean impact on so many lives already, and for you info The vet has done numerous test she is healthy she had tapeworms not cancer!!!!If I had to go back in time to pick a dog I would pick her all over again because I Who knows where she would be and I probably saved her froming being put down or worse killed because her breeders were to ignorant to treat her for worms.:)
If you haven't had her hips xrayed (which she is way too young for), then yes I am saying that she shouldn't be BRED- not shouldn't be here. Just because you love her doesn't mean she won't have hip or elbow problems, degenerative myleopathy, cancer, etc. This is why you need to know at least 5 generations of health and have the proper health checks done on her when she is old enough. It is completely irresponsible to breed her and potentially pass any of that on!

That's really nice that you love her so much, but that is not a reason to breed her. There are many great GSDs that make an impact on our lives, but that does not mean they should be bred.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I was told you were supposed because it make them more motherly and protective and calmer
But that's BS. And even if it weren't (which it is), why breed a dog based on what someone else says you are supposed to do? What does that have to do with maintaining good healthy, correct temperament, working abilities?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
YOUR one of those ppl that would NEVER go to the shelter to even look at a dog because you dont have five stupid generations of history well you know what I have to say about that... You don't know what you are missing out on, sorry that my smokee is not good enough for yalss purebred award winning blue ribbon selfs she is a loving dog that deserved to be bought. I do not care how much you put her down I AM PROUD of my pup. She is better than any five generation blue ribbon spoilt brat any day :)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Who me? You are getting WAY defensive about this and totally missing the point. I volunteered at the shelter, I volunteer with the GSD rescue, all but two of my pets have been from rescues and shelters. I have purchased two pets in my lifetime from good, respectable breeders. No, I've never given a dirty, money-grubbing breeder a minute of my time or a cent of my money and never will. I will support responsible breeders, shelters, and rescues with my time and my money. But thanks for telling me all about me and where I spend my efforts and where my dogs are from. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts