German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a question, can my dog get explosive diareaha from knuckle bones? I gave her one last week I got from the butcher and the next day she had the poops so I layed off but Friday night I gave her another one and Saturday she had the poops again.

I did change her diet but honestly there hasn't been that big of a change in her stool from the food change.

I did read something on the net that too much fat from a meaty bone can give them discomfort, I'm just wondering what you guys think? Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I don't know...I gave my dog's a knuckle bone and they also had a new bag of food I just opened, and both had horrible runs for 2-4 days. I had to go buy a carpet cleaner :( . I am not sure exactlly the cause, but it could have been the bones! I returned the food as well...

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Yes, absolutely. Rafi gets terrible diarrhea from anything but chicken necks or chicken backs. If I give him a bone I have to do it over a series of days.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I agree, it's more than likely the bone to blame. Turkey necks seem to be pretty well tolerated by most dogs. (Unless of course they're allergic to turkey lol) My dogs haven't done too well with knuckle bones. I feed turkey/chicken necks, turkey/chicken wings, pig feet, pork necks, beef ribs and chicken quarters.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
We gave our dogs their first knuckle bones on Friday. We limited them to about an hour and then back in the freezer the bones went.
We got them back out today and they'll get another hour or so.
So far, no runs or problems but I think we'll be careful to limit the amount of time they get, at least until we see how they tolerate them.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I limit Brody to how long he has the bones too. He ate a Bully Stick in the time it took me to vacumn the floor and mop it. The next day he had the runs. With the knuckle bones, I usually only let him have it for about an hour!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts