German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question I was wondering if someone could help me with. I thought the bone marrow bones we buy from the store should be given to our dogs raw. Can I give them to the dogs raw, out of the freezer?

My neighbor brought me over some bones she cooked for the dogs. They had bone marrow in them and some meat on the outside. She brought them over for the dogs. I said to her that I thought we weren't supposed to give the dogs cooked bones because they could splinter in the dogs. She said she would never give the dogs raw bones. She said that the 40 years she owned dogs she always gave them the cooked bones with the marrow inside and some meat still on the bone.

Is this OK to give the dogs? I always thought cooked bones were a BIG no no. ???? I'm confused? So now I have some raw, frozen marrow bones in my freezer and some cooked marrow bones with meat on them in the freezer also. I don't know which ones to give the dogs. Does anyone have any input?

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
what elaine said.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Never ever give cooked bones to dogs! They get dry and brittle and they will splinter like you said, and hurt the dog's gums and stomach.

Someone might know more, but I also read that you have to be careful when giving those big beef bones, since they can wear out your dog's teeth badly. I think the advice was not to give them on a daily basis.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Baked: No. Boiled: yes!

if the bones are grilled or cooked in the oven, it dries them out and makes them brittle. Moreso with chicken bones than thick bovine bones. However, if the bones are boiled, then they are still safe. I give my guys thick beef bones either out of the freezer (cuz they love frozen things), or after I use them for soup :)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
My in-laws give their dog cooked bones ALL the time and have never had a problem, but yes they can splinter and raw is safer. They think the parasites and bacteria in raw bones are a greater concern so to each their own, but in my house it's raw bone as well though they do get steak bones when we're done with them....we just steal them back before they can actually eat them:D

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
As said, they do splitter. Careful feeding large knuckle bones to often as they can wear your dogs teeth down, I know I have seen it first hand.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
My in-laws give their dog cooked bones ALL the time and have never had a problem, but yes they can splinter and raw is safer. They think the parasites and bacteria in raw bones are a greater concern so to each their own, but in my house it's raw bone as well though they do get steak bones when we're done with them....we just steal them back before they can actually eat them:D
Dogs carry enzymes in their mouth to break down bacteria. Unusual for any raw meat to carry parasite, unless your feeding wild game without previously freezing.
I don't feed cooked bones ever, and feed a raw diet.
I just don't want to take that chance, because the dogs are use to having a "softer" bone.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I agree, but my in-laws aren't the best listeners on doggy diets so I just sit back while their **** hound eats pork rib bones that have been cooked for hours. Zoe is right now chomping on a beef marrow bone so I can go to sleep soon,lol She's been quite the pain today needing constant attention even after over 2 hours of romping with her brother off leash and a 3 mile jog with me. I'm worn out but she is in the mood to play:D

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Raw Frozen bones are the faves for our dogs.....something about being frozen, just makes them happier!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts