German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sorry that my posts are redundant but where else can I voice my concern over dog poop? :rolleyes: Elvis was fed chicken and over boiled rice today with 1/4 cup of food mixed in. He pooped once today and it was small, and formed.... what is this telling me? That I was over feeding? If it was EPI he would NOT have a formed stool right?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Chicken and rice is gentle and binding though an EPI dog wouldn't have firmed up like that regardless. Your either overfeeding or your dog is sensitive to the food your feeding. I'm sure you've already mentioned this but what do you feed, how much, and how many times a day?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was origen and that was a mess now I just switched to Natural balance lamb and rice. I was feeding 1.5 cups x 3 a day. I will be cutting it down to 1 cup per day. The issue is, he is about 15-20 lbs underweight right now.

·
Registered
32,122 Posts
to 1 cup per day, or by one cup per day? How much are you intending to feed altogether per day, or are you going to continue cooking for the dog as well?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
If your dog is underweight, you are not overfeeding him. Good grief, he needs to eat more. Stop with the silly overfeeding thing already. If he's doing well on the chicken and rice, I would feed more of that for a while to get more calories in him while letting his system settle down.

The chicken and rice is low fat and very bland so it's easy to digest; that's why it's given to dogs with upset GI tracts. I agree your dog probably doesn't have EPI, but has a problem with something in the food you were feeding whether it's the high fat, the ingredients, or not enough fiber.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. Selzer I plan to feed 1 cup 3x a day.

·
Registered
32,122 Posts
What did the vet say today?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Yeah that the chicken and rice is working! Maybe look at everything that the dog is ingesting- treats, chews, etc. and eliminate everything except the chicken/rice/dry. You've got to let his stomach settle for 5-6 days. I'd give him about 2-1 rice mixture to dry, and stick with the same dry for now. If he's hungry give him some more and maybe feed 3 times a day. Forget about his weight for now and just get his digestion under control. You have plenty of time to fatten him up later. Offer him some Gatorade if he's dehydrated, he'll drink it if he needs it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
His Fecal came back neg. for everything (yay) but that his system is probably still shocked. It nees to rest and to feed the chicken and rice or chicken and oatmeal and gradually add in his food little by little until I am at 100% his food and his stool is normal. She told me that probiotcs I am giving are good as well. Basically everything that you all have been telling me.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I feel like you are overfeeding....decrease the amount for a few weeks and see what happens. Great news he is feeling better!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Have you tried Satin Balls? They worked wonders for Liisi. She absolutely loved them and they weren't too expensive to make.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts