German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when you think our pup is being good, a new topic arises.

Ozzy is now 5 months old. He is showing teeth and growling as we put his food down and he bit my wife, not hard, but a warning bite of such. He got down on the ground and growled.

You can't even give him a treat without him getting angry. Very very possessive over food, but not toys.

I am only home 2 days a week due to working, so I rarely see him or experience this.

He just recently received his rabies vaccination as well as not being crated for 2 days from being on a family trip to PA.

any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

PS, the couch situation has calmed down a bit, he doesnt go on as much.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Did you hand feed him as a puppy?

When Sinister was a puppy I hand fed him everyday, I stuck my hand in his food bowl, I pet his back, I would randomly pick up his food dish.

I also trained him to sit and wait until I released him so he could eat.

Now that your dog is older I would not recommend sticking your hand in his bowl but I think you should put some kibble in your hand and see if he can take it from you nicely

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I would hand feed him, forget the bowl for now.
And don't use the food as a power tool to show who is the boss.
If you put a bowl of food down, then he should be able to eat in peace without having to think it may be pulled away(not that your wife is doing this) as it can cause conflict=food aggression.
If this just happened after his rabies vaccination, I wonder if it is a coincidence or connected in some way...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts