German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myah and I headed out for our early evening walk. We met up with a stranger and chatted, as we were headed in the same direction. Friendly chat, and when they went their way, Myah let out a teeny whimper perked her ears like, "huh? we were all just walking along!" :)

Went up to the playground/park, where I often take her (2-3 times per week) for socialization with children, since I do not have young children. She has a "following" there, where they dig in the sand together. She was surrounded by three of her familiar "friends" as they played together gently in the sand, with the youngest one intent on "brushing" her tail the whole time. :wub:

Time to go and went around the other side of the park to go home. A man, his daughter and a medium mix dog were there. Dog had a leash connected, but no one was holding it.

Dog sees us and immediately makes an aggressive beeline to us. It was not to say "hi" or check us out, but aggressive. Within a second, the man looks and says "uh-oh" and starts chasing his dog who is closing ground on Myah and me.

Myah walks on my left, so I put her leash in my left hand, and put her behind my left knee, freeing up my right hand. As the dog approaches, I give a calm, but very firm "no" and a "stop" gesture with my hand. Dog sees that he can't get Myah from my left, so makes a growling leap around my right hip, while I grab his leash close to his collar, stringing him up a bit with a correction.

Owner gets there. I glare at him. I say, "This is what leashes are for" and hand him his dog, who's still growling. (Myah whimpered and stayed behind me).

He obviously feels bad, but is totally clueless. He sheepishly says, "Yeah, I get it". I said, "Good, then don't let it happen again."

Sigh.... :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
We just had the neighbors small puffy thing come barreling out at us as we walked Sabo by their house. If I moved for ward to keep walking, it charged behind Sabo...if I stopped it would stand about 6 ft away with both dogs going nuts. UGH...So I call for John to grab a dog or stand between and he stands between so I can walk and my boy runs to their door to get the owners...they were yelling at their kids to get the dog! Alex tries to go around (keep in mind, he's 8) to get back to us and the dog charges back at him...making Sabo go BALLISTIC...

Mick (10) doesn't understand why we are mad at the dog, and I had to explain that even though Sabo is a puppy and that's an adult dog, if it Sabo bit that dog, who would be blamed? Sabo would. Why? he's a German Shepherd and there is "no tolerance"....Stupid people...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dog knew I meant business. I stood there, firmly, letting it get closer, before giving the "NO" command and "stop" gesture.

I want Myah to always, always cue from me what her reaction should be. I am alpha and I deal with threats, not her. If I tell her "go say hi" to someone, she should be friendly. If I put her behind me, she should trust me. This incident is just another educational opportunity for her to solidify her trust in my judgment and act accordingly.

I have no doubt that in two years (or less?), if the rare occurrence happens where I need her to have my back, that she'll be there for me. But she will have good judgment. :apple:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We just had the neighbors small puffy thing come barreling out at us as we walked Sabo by their house. If I moved for ward to keep walking, it charged behind Sabo...if I stopped it would stand about 6 ft away with both dogs going nuts. UGH...So I call for John to grab a dog or stand between and he stands between so I can walk and my boy runs to their door to get the owners...they were yelling at their kids to get the dog! Alex tries to go around (keep in mind, he's 8) to get back to us and the dog charges back at him...making Sabo go BALLISTIC...

Mick (10) doesn't understand why we are mad at the dog, and I had to explain that even though Sabo is a puppy and that's an adult dog, if it Sabo bit that dog, who would be blamed? Sabo would. Why? he's a German Shepherd and there is "no tolerance"....Stupid people...
Difficult to keep calm when there are kids and people are yelling, no doubt. But calmness is what's required, along with RESOLUTE firmness in posture and voice.

For the little yappers that are quick, I whirlybird my leash at them and stomp my foot once and say, "NO". Some are stubborn, though.

This one stubborn, totally aggressive (and biting) yapper off leash was circling Myah once, and I had done all the above. Finally, I let my whirlybird leash brush against the yapper, which did the trick. Most hilarious, the yapper's owners came up and said, "How dare you strike my dog!" :rolleyes:

They oughta be glad that's all I did. I mean no harm to anyone, or anyone's fur baby. But if your off leash dog comes up to me, I will defend myself and my dog. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts