German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello from the LoneStar State! I've been lurking on this site for months and thought it was about time that I introduce myself, my boy Kain, and thank everyone for contributing and sharing their knowledge & experiences about the GSD (greatest breed of all). I am a new shepherd owner, having only had my boy for 6 months, but am thus far completely amazed with this dog and couldn't have chosen a better companion. I have owned many different breeds in the past but none compare to the complete package which is the GSD. I have absolutely benefited from the wealth of information on this board and thank you all again. Now about my boy Kain. He is an 8 month old dark sable male weighing in at 67 lbs (is this a good weight for his age?). Past the landshark stage but still a little obnoxious at times. He's extremely alert, attentive, intelligent and very easily taught new things. He doesn't get all amped up for a game of fetch but his prey drive is still very much intact, he absolutely loves squirrels. He's a WL shepherd but probably will never compete in any trials of any type, as I don't have any plans of breeding him. He has all his basic obedience commands down pat and is very well behaved. He's even more of a water dog than my old lab was, never knew GSD's loved the water so much! I'm going to try to attach a photo to this thread, hope it works.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Texan. Kain is one good looking guy that is for sure. I think he is a good weight for his age. Jamie just turned 6 mths and she is 45 lbs. There are lots of members here that have GSDs that just love the water also. So once again, welcome:)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
nice looking dog. you've done a nice job training him.
at 67lbs at 6 months old i bet he'll hit 80 lbs plus
within the next year and a half. if by "loves squirrels" you mean
he chases them i don't think chasing after things is a good idea.
you can compete without breeding.

He doesn't get all amped up for a game of fetch but his prey drive is still very much intact, he absolutely loves squirrels.

He's a WL shepherd but probably will never compete in any trials of any type, as I don't have any plans of breeding him.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Kain is gorgeous! Where did you get him? What part of Texas are you in? Lots of Texans on the forum.

·
Registered
907 Posts
:welcome: to the forum and the beautiful world of the GS dog...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Oh he's beautiful! Welcome from Mesquite

Jelpy and the Mesquite Mafia

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Kain is a handsome boy, welcome! :)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
welcome and kain is a gorgeous boy!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Doggiedad,

if by "loves squirrels" you mean
he chases them i don't think chasing after things is a good idea.
you can compete without breeding.
I completely understand what you're saying about the chasing. But, in Kains large fenced backyard it's allowed and even encouraged. You see, I have alot of squirrels around, due to the pecan orchard next door, that love to chew my cable and electrical wires so I shoot them on sight. Kain has learned that if he trees them, then daddy can get a clean shot and he (Kain) gets to carry around his trophy for a bit and show it off to mom and the kids. Kain has come to understand that treeing squirrels in the backyard is one of his jobs and he does enjoy his work. But, he also understands that it's an unaccepted behavior on walks or outside the confines of his backyard. I know that it's a double standard but he accepts it well. I realize that shooting a cute little squirrel may sound a little harsh to some on this board but I really have no other alternative, plus they taste great!:D Also, I realize that I can compete without breeding but with all the time and expense involved, I simply cannot commit to it at this time. I wish I could though, sounds like a blast!

Emoore,

Kain is gorgeous! Where did you get him? What part of Texas are you in? Lots of Texans on the forum.
I got Kain from a close friend of mine. Not a 'backyard breeder' in the ugly sense of the word but not a kennel either. I think Kain's litter was more or less an ':eek:' litter. His parents are listed in my signature. I'm in West Texas just west of Midland. Thanks again for the welcome guys.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Welcome!!! He is a VERY handsome dog too!!!! I love his darker coloring down his legs. Glad he enjoys his job

1 - 20 of 23 Posts