German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some feedback and advice.

I have a neighbor who thinks it's really cool to have very aggressive dogs. His male weimeraner is especially unstable and aggressive, growls and has put his teeth on me when I was petting him once. He has to be crated when people visit their home as he cannot be trusted.

As I was walking my two dogs this morning, he comes striding along in the middle of the street with his two dogs literally towing him down the street (as usual). His dogs start acting out, aggressively barking. My young female whom I am trying to socialize was a bit freaked out by these two large dogs going ballistic at her and started reacting in a defensive manner. My male just whined a bit and got tense but stayed at my side under control.

The worst part of it is he switched the dogs leash that he had on each hand to both of his dogs leash into his left hand so they could be closer to me on the sidewalk to his left. He's a big strong guy but really?

Not cool and I think down right dangerous, what do you guys think is it dangerous and should I say something?

Also, if my young female, Ilda, meets a dog like this consistently on her walks could it have a detrimental effect on her socialization?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
When I see someone coming towaeds me with out of control dogs, big or small, I cross the road. If I cannot do that I either go to the curb or up a driveway.

Since your pup is young I would do my best to avoid dogs like that.

I've always liked that breed but lately I have heard stories about the difficult ones.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
1 > stay away from his dogs. cross the street,
go in an opposite direction.

2 > now you could use this time as a
training time for your girl but you have to
feel it out and make sure his dogs can't get to
your dogs.

3 > him switching hands so the dogs
are closer to you is just stupid.

4 > approach him when your dogs aren't present
and tell him about your concerns.

5 > again, use those encounters as a time to train.
will it effect your dog? i think that depends
on your dogs nerves and temperment.

1 > As I was walking my two dogs this morning, he comes striding along in the middle of the street with his two dogs literally towing him down the street (as usual). His dogs start acting out, aggressively barking.

2 > My young female whom I am trying to socialize was a bit freaked out by these two large dogs going ballistic at her and started reacting in a defensive manner. My male just whined a bit and got tense but stayed at my side under control.

3 > The worst part of it is he switched the dogs leash that he had on each hand to both of his dogs leash into his left hand so they could be closer to me on the sidewalk to his left. He's a big strong guy but really?

4 > Not cool and I think down right dangerous, what do you guys think is it dangerous and should I say something?

5 > Also, if my young female, Ilda, meets a dog like this consistently on her walks could it have a detrimental effect on her socialization?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I see someone coming towaeds me with out of control dogs, big or small, I cross the road. If I cannot do that I either go to the curb or up a driveway.

Since your pup is young I would do my best to avoid dogs like that.

I've always liked that breed but lately I have heard stories about the difficult ones.
Yup, I was way over on the sidewalk literally going into the neighbors yards to get distance, he stayed smack in the middle of the street (he could have gone over to the opposite side walk) and switched his dogs over to his left hand to let them even closer. Funny thing, if it was just me I probably wouldn't have cared, but having my two dogs with me, one who is a puppy....sheesh I'm still feeling the anger.

I will try my best to avoid him and his dogs in the future.

RE: weimeraners, I don't like to put any breed down, I've always thought them a beautiful and intelligent breed but I've taken care of some and even the more savvy owners have told me they are not an easy breed. They can have a very 'edgey' side to them. The male in question is IMO a ticking time bomb he's unstable and aggressive to dogs and humans.

A women I know who owned a boarding kennel and trained Belgian Mals for law enforcement said they were one of her least favorite breeds to board. This surprised me because I didn't know they had earned this reputation but apparently....they have.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks doggiedad...on 2- I'm not going anywhere near this guy with his dogs, he thinks it's cool that's why he switched hands, he has had problems with other people/dogs. Number 5 I didn't slow my stride, I kept the energy going forward, I didn't correct Ilda as my trainer told me it was best to just keep walking when she if she reacted to dogs. The problem is this aggressive male certainly wasn't helping with the 'other dogs are good' socializing I'm trying to do!

After a couple of private lessons with the trainer to get a good foundation going she's going into classes with other dogs! I'm looking forward to it.

1 > stay away from his dogs. cross the street,
go in an opposite direction.

2 > now you could use this time as a
training time for your girl but you have to
feel it out and make sure his dogs can't get to
your dogs.

3 > him switching hands so the dogs
are closer to you is just stupid.

4 > approach him when your dogs aren't present
and tell him about your concerns.

5 > again, use those encounters as a time to train.
will it effect your dog? i think that depends
on your dogs nerves and temperment.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I wouldn't talk to him. He sounds like the type of jerk that would get off on intimidating you or your dogs. He would up the anti because he knew it had worked the last time. Can you carry something with you, like a spray can of some sort ( just in case his dogs do get loose)? I would not correct your dog with this guys dogs, I would avoid him, cross the street, walk in the other direction, but try not to make it obvious that he is the reason you are crossing the road.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i have no advice for you as i tend to be a pretty confrontational person in situations where people are stupid. This guy sounds like a jerk and you should just stay away from him. Yes, this encounter can have a negative impact on your pups behavior towards other dogs in the future. Especially if it continues to happen. I'm not a fan of weims because of the aggression issues. In the right hands, they're good dogs but not a breed i would EVER have. His dog is a ticking time bomb as someone else said but if you really feel unsafe, report them to animal control. The dog is dangerous and given the chance, i've no doubt in my mind, that dog would cause some serious damage to someone or worse. Does anyone else feel threatened? Other neighbors have issues as well?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shadow's Mum...yup I was thinking that as well, that he make kick it up a notch so to speak. I need to get a new can of bear attack spray to carry with me anyway. I actually have been on very good terms with these folks in the past. Have been to their house for parties and they were just nice as could be...but when it comes to these dogs, it's like the crazy switch flips on.

Kzoppa...the dog is known around the neighborhood for it's aggressive behaviour and the owners often discuss it openly with neighbors. His brother, who visits often, tried to take care of the dog one time while they were out of town. Couldn't take care of the dog because he was just too aggressive. Many of the stories I've heard recently about this dog come directly from the owners telling me themselves....because I don't think they understand, or are in denial, regarding the how dangerous the situation is with this dog.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shadow's Mum...yup I was thinking that as well, that he make kick it up a notch so to speak. I need to get a new can of bear attack spray to carry with me anyway. I actually have been on very good terms with these folks in the past. Have been to their house for parties and they were just nice as could be...but when it comes to these dogs, it's like the crazy switch flips on.

Kzoppa...the dog is known around the neighborhood for it's aggressive behaviour and the owners often discuss it openly with neighbors. His brother, who visits often, tried to take care of the dog one time while they were out of town. Couldn't take care of the dog because he was just too aggressive. Many of the stories I've heard recently about this dog come directly from the owners telling me themselves....because I don't think they understand, or are in denial, regarding the how dangerous the situation is with this dog.

what if the neighbors all got together and did kind of an intervention? obviously the dog is an issue and there is cause for concern. Do they even realize their aggressive monster is a liability that they could not only lose because euthanisia is demanded after he bites or possibly kills someone if he ever got loose but they could be sued and lose everything as a result? its possible this weims owners dont realize exactly what kind of dog they have because he's theirs. You never want to see what is right in front of you when its your fault you kids are acting a certain way that isnt acceptable and you dont want to see that you have an aggressive dog because he's your baby and you're not on the receiving end.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They have a big red 'beware of dog' sign glued to their front door but for some reason don't realize what they really have on their hands. :crazy:

I've made mention to a couple of neighbors about the aggressive male to feel them out. Most folks don't want to get involved until something really bad happens. When ('cause it's not a matter of 'if') this dogs bites somebody and they get sued, they've set themselves up for a lot of trouble because they have admitted to his aggressive behaviour and have done nothing to curb it....

....and like you mention in the end the dog will pay the biggest price and it's another set of stupid dog owners making a breed look bad because they are wilfully ignorant and don't train.

Thanks all, for the comments and support, it has helped!

what if the neighbors all got together and did kind of an intervention? obviously the dog is an issue and there is cause for concern. Do they even realize their aggressive monster is a liability that they could not only lose because euthanisia is demanded after he bites or possibly kills someone if he ever got loose but they could be sued and lose everything as a result? its possible this weims owners dont realize exactly what kind of dog they have because he's theirs. You never want to see what is right in front of you when its your fault you kids are acting a certain way that isnt acceptable and you dont want to see that you have an aggressive dog because he's your baby and you're not on the receiving end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts