German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I loved this forest preserve, miles of trails: a lake trail, a forest trail, a green (non gravel) forest trail...horseback riding, two huge lakes, canoes...Berlin and I had a great time today. This was our longest hike so far. He hikes/runs like its his job - there's probably nothing he enjoys more in life. :) Here's a few of my favorites from today.. Enjoy! (BTW it's starting to look like Spring here!)

Stalking the horses..? :shrug:

Of course, nothing scares this dog, except tiny waves. :shrug:

It's a little flooded here, too much rain.

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
great pictures, be careful with him around those horses, he could spook them and that could get ugly. anyway such a beautiful boy, thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great pictures, be careful with him around those horses, he could spook them and that could get ugly. anyway such a beautiful boy, thanks for sharing :)
Thanks! And I know, I was worried. But they didnt care about him at all...they were hiking along side us for atleast a mile or two. Im glad these horses weren't bothered by him, because it allowed him to get some great exposure around horses. He is ten times more comfortable around them now. Phew! :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Those are awesome! i'd love to find a place like that around here!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Would love a place like that around here! Especially a horse back riding trail..Love the pics and Berlin..such a handsome guy :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
awesome pics. I wish I lived there! I take Penny to Elk Neck State Forest in Northeast Md, right along the Chesapeake Bay. Closest to those pics as I can get!!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Weird to see how many wish they had a place like that by them! LOL Around here, ANYWHERE is better than IL. But, I guess it isnt too bad huh? There are tons of forest preserves in my county, and me and Berlin have been visiting them all. They vary so much, but this one is definitely one of my favorites. Cant wait to visit it in the summer and fall. :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
run 4/16/13

Here's a few shots from todays run, didnt want to start a whole new thread. :)

I love this focus :D

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
U always have nice places to take your dog.im jealous. I hate my city so populated and nothing but traffic and pollution! Can't wait to move otta here!

Great pix he is HUGE!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thanks! Yeah there's a lot of nature-ey places around here! I love it, spending an hour or two with my boy secluded in the forest or walking along the lake away from all the hustle and bustle of life is truly one of my favorite things in life. Its so nice to get away, and just not worry or stress about anything! :)

He is sooooo fluffy :) beautiful boy!!!!

Has he started to blow his coat yet??? Thats gonna be fun LOL
LOL he IS so fluffy right now. I am *patiently* waiting for him to blow his coat, he hasnt yet. I cant wait for him to though, because he looks like a fluffy grizzly bear right now LOL. And thanks!! :D

What a great day (and a great dog)!
Thank you :)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Great pictures! I miss walking in forest preserves! We have mountain and foothill trails, but they are not as green and secluded as forest preserves.
Berlin is one lucky dog :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where is this one? The nicest hike I have found is way out 1.5hrs away at Shabbona state park.
Is that a bit South/SouthWest of Chicago? This one is located North of Chicago, in Lake County. They have a ton of nice forest preserves here, this one is located in Zion. Cook County also has a lot, look here for some:
Lake County Forest Preserves - Illinois - Lake County
Forest Preserve District of Cook County Forest Preserve District of Cook County - - Cook County
McHenry County Conservation District - McHenry County

A lot of nice forest preserves, some might not be too far from you! :)

Great pictures! I miss walking in forest preserves! We have mountain and foothill trails, but they are not as green and secluded as forest preserves.
Berlin is one lucky dog :)
Thanks Tory! :) I would think Colorado would be better for hiking? But probably alot harder to hike. My favorite types of trees are pine trees, there were some on our hike yesterday. Those trees make me feel like I'm up North, in the middle of a pine forest, LOL. I love the smell of them too. And thanks, i've been told he's lucky ;) but I think i'm lucky to have him.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts