German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Pippin Golden Retriever 2/6/14, Theo GSD 3/26/22, Millie GSD 3/26/22
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It’s been 16 days since Millie began her first heat. She bled for 9 days. There has been no bleeding for the past 6 days but she and my two intact males still show no extra interest in one another I have been vigilant about keeping them apart but how will I know when she is no longer fertile?

I think she is having a split heat so will it be ok to let the dogs play until she starts bleeding again?

· Registered
10,127 Posts
@mnm, @wolfstraum may be able to provide insight?
I can tell you only what I have experienced with various dogs
Shadow is prone to split heats. She will stop for a couple of weeks then start again. I don't think they ovulate properly when it happens, but DON'T count on that!
I have had several young bitches do two short heats a month or so apart on their first cycle, and then often not come in for another 9 months or so. It's a pain when you are trying to schedule spays, or keeping dogs separate.
I think as long as you are very vigilant I would let them play, knowing that if they show ANY interest or inclination it's time to shut it down.
I have seen males that seem oblivious to bitches in heat, right up until they aren't.

· Super Moderator
Cava, floofy supermodel
20,476 Posts
I have no experience with split heats, but if I had two intact males in the house I wouldn't take the chance of letting them interact, I'd wait a full 4 weeks after the first signs.

· Registered
1,435 Posts
When Willow went into heat (before I had her spayed), if I remember right, she bled for the first and last part of it and then actually didn't bleed much in the middle, during her most fertile period. I think I read that that was common, that the central ~week was actually relatively clean.

Are you testing the flagging response? During that central time, Willow was SUPER flaggy. You barely touch her rump and she'd lift that tail right out of the way. It was comical. But yeah that's the really most risky time in the cycle relative to getting pregnant.

· Registered
Pippin Golden Retriever 2/6/14, Theo GSD 3/26/22, Millie GSD 3/26/22
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No flagging at all. She and the males show no interest in eachother.

· Registered
Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
4,986 Posts
It’s been 16 days since Millie began her first heat. She bled for 9 days. There has been no bleeding for the past 6 days but she and my two intact males still show no extra interest in one another I have been vigilant about keeping them apart but how will I know when she is no longer fertile?

I think she is having a split heat so will it be ok to let the dogs play until she starts bleeding again?
Debbieg, when Star had her first heat, I don't think she ovulated. Ranger showed very little interest in her other than sniffing and licking her rear end.

The NEXT heat...totally different story! :eek: That's when I found out a neutered male can still mount and tie with an inctact female!!

So, my guess is this is what has happened with Millie.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
I've only personally had one female with a split heat. She's stand for a bit for a male, but then move away. We tried with two different, very experienced males, but didn't ever get a tie. Progesterone testing was done. Then she went out of heat and came back in a month later. Again progesterone testing, and upon indication of ovulation, drove several hours to the male. We finally got a tie, but she didn't take. Split heats are very difficult to deal with. I ended up spaying and placing her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts