German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests, news stories are coming out today that Nestlé Purina is in talks to purchase Champion Pet Foods - the manufacturer of Orijen and Acana.

Very disappointing news, in my opinion. Fewer and fewer good pet food companies left every year. I guess I switched away from Orijen at the right time.

·
Registered
757 Posts
UGH! Just got my first box of Honest Kitchen to try out. If it goes well Acana just lost a long time customer.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Tom, if you want to stick with kibble, look into RAWZ -- it's about the same price-point as Orijen:
RAWZ

Some key points;

-lower heat processing
-no rendered meals OR rendered fats
-dehydrated or freeze-dried meats to concentrate protein
-ingredient transparency (country of origin identified on the website for all ingredients -- even each vitamin)
-human grade ingredients, made in a human-food certified facility (like THK)
-95% grass-fed, hormone-free, antibiotic-free, cage-free meats

The goal was to make a kibble that was as close to a raw diet as they could get. The Scott family are behind this food--they know what they're doing and aren't jonny-come-lately types who are learning as they go. They're the original founders of Wellness/OMH back in the 1960s, which was a fantastic food before they sold it and gave up control of it. They're people known for integrity in the pet food world. Them getting back into the business is a good thing -- and they're donating 100% of profits from Rawz.

I haven't fed it, but it's at the top of my list (along with Open Farm, out of Canada), if we ever need to transition my two kibble-fed ones off of Fromm.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Wow! That is too bad :( I personally avoid any brands from big name companies. I've been using Orjen as part of the rotation for my cats, but looks like I will need to find something else. With Purina in charge I would not trust the quality at all.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom, if you want to stick with kibble, look into RAWZ -- it's about the same price-point as Orijen:
RAWZ

Some key points;

-lower heat processing
-ingredient transparency (country of origin identified on the website for all ingredients -- even each vitamin)

The goal was to make a kibble that was as close to a raw diet as they could get. The Scott family are behind this food--they know what they're doing and aren't jonny-come-lately types who are learning as they go. They're the original founders of Wellness/OMH back in the 1960s, which was a fantastic food before they sold it and gave up control of it. They're people known for integrity in the pet food world. Them getting back into the business is a good thing -- and they're donating 100% of profits from Rawz.

I haven't fed it, but it's at the top of my list (along with Open Farm, out of Canada), if we ever need to transition my two kibble-fed ones off of Fromm.
Definitely sounds like a good food. I'll have to look into it. I switched from Orijen to Victor recently (Hi-Pro Plus formula) and have been happy with it so far.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
ORIJEN Dog and Cat Food
25 mins ·
While we have certainly seen the speculation in media reports about Champion Petfoods’ future, we hope you can appreciate that it is our policy to never comment on rumours or speculation in the market. Rumours about Champion being sold have been circulating over the past few years and will continue for as long we deliver on our promise to make the world’s best pet food under our ACANA and ORIJEN brands.

Champion Petfoods continues to be privately held with investment from our Canadian partner, Bedford Capital, and our vision remains—build trust with Pet Lovers everywhere. We are focused every day on delivering on our commitment to provide our customers with the world’s best pet food and the highest quality service.

https://www.facebook.com/ORIJENPetF...BwgdBkSiem429gNAXKxXAaKa81YncA-wl38dc&fref=nf

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
ORIJEN Dog and Cat Food
25 mins ·
While we have certainly seen the speculation in media reports about Champion Petfoods’ future, we hope you can appreciate that it is our policy to never comment on rumours or speculation in the market. Rumours about Champion being sold have been circulating over the past few years and will continue for as long we deliver on our promise to make the world’s best pet food under our ACANA and ORIJEN brands.

Champion Petfoods continues to be privately held with investment from our Canadian partner, Bedford Capital, and our vision remains—build trust with Pet Lovers everywhere. We are focused every day on delivering on our commitment to provide our customers with the world’s best pet food and the highest quality service.

https://www.facebook.com/ORIJENPetF...BwgdBkSiem429gNAXKxXAaKa81YncA-wl38dc&fref=nf

Which does not deny that a sale is in the works.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have linked the source in my original post, but read the story and posted about it at work this morning and didn't have time. Here's the story ... a pretty reputable source.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nestle-in-talks-to-buy-pet-food-maker-for-2-billion-1530531553

Honestly, I hope they don't make a deal. In my opinion, Orijen and Acana are two of the best kibble foods on the market today. It would be a shame to see them ruined by corporate greed. Every time I read about another good, privately owned manufacturer selling out I think back to what happened to Natura after they were bought out by Proctor & Gamble - literally within months they were part of a massive recall, the ingredients all changed and the food got worse and worse, while the price remained the same, or went up. It's always, unfortunately, the same story - original owner swears nothing will change and they will retain full control even after ownership changes ... corporate lies.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
ORIJEN Dog and Cat Food
25 mins ·

this is true --- there have been rumours since the early days --

the experience seems to be big business acquires , and if they can't they batter till the desired portfolio owner is bankrupt and exhausted - then they come in for the scoop and acquire for a fraction .

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Ironic that this is surfacing on the heels of the class action lawsuit about the heavy metal disclosure "lies" brought forth by some unknown company who tested and dumped the results publically 2 weeks before a major trade show.
Now who could have a lab and the bank account to do these tests and/or flub them?

My fave salad dressings are Renee's (greek, ceasar, rancg, honey mustard). All found in the fresh produce section. Not shelf stable. About a year ago or so, started disappearing off the shelf. No explaination from grocery stores. I googled and emailed "Renee's"

Got a reply from Kraft. 2 actually. The first had no idea what dressing I was talking about. The second, handed line of bull with no explanation as to when coming back to shelves.
The product was independently owned. Proud. Started super small company. worked way up.
Now there are ad's that Renee's is proud to "expire" (vs. shelf stable warm dressings)...except...the expiry is now into next year, not couple months like before.

Greed always seems to win

·
Registered
225 Posts
RAWZ

Some key points;

-lower heat processing

It looks like no one carries this food near me or in the next state over because all the stores listed no longer carry the brand and the only online retailer I found (admittedly in a 5 minute search) had the 20 pound bag for $102.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Mareesy, they're only selling through small independent shops. You might ask your local store to check on the price from their distributor if they special order on request. Mine does that and often undercuts online sources.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I might ask the place right up the road from me. I talked to them not too long ago about food and they told me they are always looking for new good foods and to let them know if I had any suggestions.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I just saw that Champion is no longer family owned anyway. A private equity firm (Bedford) is involved as an owner already. That makes it clear that the founders *already* made the most important decision toward selling out.

Private equity nearly always invests with an exit in mind -- extracting a profit on what they previously invested and moving on to the next thing. I would think the reason to partner with private equity was probably to facilitate an acquisition like this.

With private equity and a rumored $2b acquisition price, if it's not acquired by Purina in this deal, it will be done another competitor. You can't even rule out that this "rumor" may have even been leaked to draw an additional bid from someone like Mars, to drive up the asking price. It's all about the money in the M&A world. Holistic pet food is the big growth area in this sector, and Champion is a huge acquisition target.

FWIW, this whole sector is being targeted by big money -- company after company is being swallowed up. None of the little guys are immune when such huge amounts of money are dangled in front of hard-working founders.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Champion took on money from an investment group a while back, but I never noticed much change in the product,though I was prepared to switch foods when it happened. It happened around the time Champion had issues with their production line at their Canadian manufacturing plant. They were struggling at the time to keep up with demand, I believe.

Obviously, an investment firm expects profit, but I believe the money they took in went primarily to updating their facility in Canada and likely to help fund their new facility in Kentucky. Prior to those things happening there was a time when availability of their products was slim to none in my area, as well as many others. No such issues since...

However, I don't doubt that your assessment is correct, and there will likely be a deal made. Especially since the company founders have a private equity firm to answer to, if it is even their decision at all at this point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts