German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reich is about 6 months old now, and I think we've hit a second fear stage.

She's petrified of my dad. He came over yesterday to watch my boys' baseball game. She refused to go near him while he was here in the house, skittish about it. I ignored it.

We all went to the field for the game, she comes for the socialization and exercise too. She's been avoiding strange adults for a few weeks now. When out and about she loves to meet new children, but pulls away from any older people who try to pet her.

She doesn't bark, growl, snarl or any of that...so I leave her be and explain to them that she's a pup and is a bit odd with new people currently.

At the field, standing watching the game, my dad tried to play with her and pet her a little. She was not happy, and started barking and displaying fearful body posture when he'd get too close. A little girl came to pet her while he was near and she cowhered away and just looked very nervous.

So that was that, she was overwhelmed and I took her home.

About how long do fear stages last, and is it ok to continue with socialization and outings in the mean time?

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
I would make people a giant hot dog to her. Give them pieces of hot dog and ask them to ignore her until she comes up to them.

If they kind of squat down with their back to the pooch or at an angle that really helps too.

Its kind of tricky. You want her to be able to confront her fears and work through them but you also don't want to imprint anything negative. I would suggest starting to introduce her to people in as controlled of an enviroment as possible and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
food, real treats (not dog treats) and continued socialization trips (fun and supportive, not overwhelming) are key with this for me.

DOG CLASSES!!!!!

Here's more info:

http://www.doberman.org/articles/puppy.htm

http://www.vanerp.net/ilse/GSDINFO/understandyourpuppy.htm

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/DevelopmentalStages.html

http://www.vonfalconer.com/puppy.html

Socialization isn't just about the puppy, we also have to learn to be aware of our surrounding and the proper way to continue to challenge our pups with new things, while supporting them so they don't get OVER-whelmed and lose their little puppy minds. Distance, timing timing timing, real treats. Focus/attention. Reading our pups body language (by the time they are freaked we usually missed all the quieter smaller signals they were giving to show they were not happy anymore............)

PUPPY CLASSES!!!!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I can add Jesse when he hit 6 months I swear a fear stage hit, one day he is afraid of everything, next day nothing, next day only afraid on one thing, it is a strange age.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
during the human socialization period, 7 to 14 weeks they can develope a fear period over lapping the human socialization period, 8 to 11 weeks. during which time socialization is needed as always. keep introducing her to new people, places and situations. a great place to meet new people is to stand near the exit door of the super market. everybody wants to pet a puppy. have your friends come over with treat in hand and as they enter the house call her and treat her. socializing is never ending in my opinon. the second fear period could happen between 5 and 12 months. wow, i sound like i know what i'm talking about, i don't, i just read all of this in the "Ultimate Puppy Toolkit". ultimatepuppy.com for free downloads. get the kit, urbanpuppy.com or premier.com, 888-640-8840. they passed out the kit in my puppy class.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys [:D]

I'm working on classes, and continuing as normal with outings. I need to find a food item that really gets her interested, she isn't food/teat motivated in the least.

LOL Jane...you aren't alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts