German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a busy weekend and in the bad way... Saturday morning Gandalf stopped drinking water and eating any food. I was able to force a little fluid into him by having him sip off my palm and little ice cubes. Today the same thing, anytime he drank a little or took a little bite of food he would gag consistently. We took him to the ER vet this afternoon and they thought obstruction and did an X ray, nothing showed up that was significant ... a little gas and foam she said. Did a full panel of bloodwork as well but we won't know the results until tomorrow. My poor boy, It's always something with him and he's so young!!! The other day I posted about him being unable to take the heat on a run.. I'm wondering now if there's something else going on. My husband had to pick us up on a walk on Friday because he just laid down on the sidewalk during our walk and wouldn't move. He's been doing so well for the past 8 months I'm just dumbfounded really of what could be going on... before the ER vet this morning he had a perfect poop. Nothing has changed, no new foods or treats.. Doesn't ever eat stuff he shouldn't.... he had his monthly Revolution exactly a week from today. I thought it may have been a side effect but the vet was confident that couldn't be it. She said we would have seen those side effects within a day or two. praying my boy feels better soon... he was so good at the ER vet, dogs and chaos everywhere and he was so calm. We love him so much..

·
Registered
855 Posts
This may sound kind of like a silly suggestion, but have you considered doing the Embark test to see if Gandalf is predisposed to any genetic health issues that might be causing this? Might help you eliminate if its environmental or not and give you a direction to go in.

·
Registered
813 Posts
This may sound kind of like a silly suggestion, but have you considered doing the Embark test to see if Gandalf is predisposed to any genetic health issues that might be causing this? Might help you eliminate if its environmental or not and give you a direction to go in.
Don’t white shepherds usually have health issues ?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Every vet so far has told me white dogs have more health issues. This vet oddly enough told me white shepherds don't exist and mine was a wolf/malamute/Pyrenees hybrid apparently lol... liked her otherwise besides that comment, she didn't push ZD food and had some good recommendations on things we can try. We actually had an appointment with UF about 8 months ago but I canceled because he got better. Hoping the bloodwork gives us some insight...

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
Oh no. Although I don't want them to find something evil in the blood-work, finding nothing is even worse sometimes because it doesn't help you find a solution. I hope they find a way to make him whole again.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks y'all... I agree so scared to find something but just want answers... it's heartbreaking I thought we were through all this he was doing so good. They had to knock him out to take the x rays as well, he's still not recovered from the anastesia several hours later now.. finally got him to eat and drink a little but he still can't walk across the room without falling over. I don't remember my old dogs taking so long to recover from being knocked out. Vet tech said it was pretty normal.. So worried about him right now...

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
FWIW, my GI-compromised GSD takes forever to fully recover from anesthesia too. The last time I don't think he ate a real meal for 2-3 days after his procedure. It makes me think the gut has something to do with how they detox.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys that's makes me feel a lot better. He's coming around a bit more it looks like, just drank from his bowl for the first time in two days and I gave him half a raw patty and he scarfed it down like normal... phew. Still gagged a bit though after. Seems like intaking food/water is triggering it. I asked the vet if maybe he had a splinter or something back in his throat but they didn't seem to think that could be it. I tried checking myself and couldn't see anything...he actually hasn't thrown up anything, just dry gagging. Thought it was bloat at first ...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm so sorry Gandalf isn't well. I'm also going through ongoing medical issues with my boy.
When I had to ensure Nitro was hydrated after his last medical emergency (last month) he enjoyed it when I used a large syringe to gently squirt water into his mouth.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm so sorry Gandalf isn't well. I'm also going through ongoing medical issues with my boy.
When I had to ensure Nitro was hydrated after his last medical emergency (last month) he enjoyed it when I used a large syringe to gently squirt water into his mouth.
Thats a good idea. I made bone broth and bought him beef broth and he's been sipping that from my palm along with ice cubes. (What's with dogs and ice cubes? They just can't ever turn them down lol). I hope your boy Nitro feels better soon too! They gave G some fluids under the skin as well, he looked like the hunch back of notre dam for a while too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, I read your posts and wanted to give you some insight on our similar scare with Serena. She stopped eating and drinking water, she was very tired and did not want to engage in play after a few days. We took her for XRays and they also thought it was obstruction of some kind. When it didn't pass naturally, they cut her open and found that she had a rare twisted colon causing lots of gas and back up. If it were only a few hours later, her intestines would have died and cut out dead tissue/reattachment recovery is very risky. They untwisted her colon and it began to turn pink again and start doing its job. She was back to normal and even gaining more weight within a week.

I'm not sure if this is similar to what your pup is experiencing but I wanted to give my experience in case it helps anyone else out there!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
@audrienco
Wow I'm sorry to hear about your girl but glad she recovered. How old was she when that happened? How did they determine it was twisted, what convinced them to operate?... why did they think it was an obstruction that didn't pass? the vet didn't seem to think Gandalf was having any kind of bloat or torsion, no obstruction was noted but she did mention some gas... but didn't suggest operation at all. He's eating and drinking well now but they gave him cerenia and fant. For the nausea... I appreciate your input!! Ill definetly bring this up with the vet tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Good that G is home again, and eating and drinking!!

For him to lay down like that while out with you, he must have been feeling really awful. :-(
I wonder what the vet's official diagnosis will be...

PS Our dog often sleeps like that, with head hanging off the edge of his bed.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
White dogs have problems? Does your vet refer to albinos maybe? They don't have pigment as they have bleu eyes ,pink skin. Yours does have pigment, hence the black nose, eye lids etc. What about all other white dog breeds: Pyrenese, Maltese, Samoyeds etc? All these breeds unhealthy? I don't believe this.
Have you talked to the breeder about how his siblings are doing?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts