German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 6 1/2 old pup named Stormy with DDR lines. She is our first GSD and we are having a blast with her. My three kids are now involved in obedience and 4-H and are really enjoying it as is the dog.

As I have three kids 11, 9, 7, we are seriously thinking of another dog. We also have an english shepherd female, 6 years old. Our current dogs get along great and things are going well so I kind of hate to add more potential chaos to our home, but I would like to get the other kids involved as well.

So, I read a post earlier that most recommended against another puppy for bonding, and other issues, but what about an older pup or adult? I have had my eye on this guy, Lincoln he is 18 months old, and am thinking of adding him as he would be our only male. We don't intend to breed, but mostly companion, playmate, and something we can work with.

What should be my concerns here? I know with kids I should be careful and ensure as best I can his character and tempermant, but other issues?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
When introducing a new pack member, the first few weeks, or even months, you will see slight changes... The pack will change around him... You might see a change in the behavior of both of your dogs.

If you don't intend to bred, why not look into a local rescue? A reputable rescue will help you through all of the introduction steps, and be there for you if it doesn't work out. I understand if you don't want to go to a rescue though.

Also, are you aware of possible bitch aggression? A lot of times when female hit sexual maturity, they don't put up with other bitches in the house.
Bitch Fight

I personally would not get a new dog until the pup is mature mentally, now is time for making a good, strong bond and relationship with you and your family, a new dog is a lot of work...

I'm sure more people will come with better advice.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
So you have a 6.5 year old dog and a 6 year old dog?

I am confused, sorry.. lol.

I would say that if you are willing to put in the time, patience and energy then go for it.

Research, research, research and really ask yourself if you are ready for this. 2 is a lot but 3 is even more.. ;)

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
If both your older dogs are 6, as long as they are well socialized and do well with other dogs and puppies, then I don't think the age of your new pet would matter.

I would have to make sure you don't just allow the other 2 dogs to raise the new one if you get a puppy. That may be what the concern is about. You'll just end up with a good dog that is much more focused around the furry family members rather than the humans.

This is easily managed by taking the new puppy out for car rides, training (TRAINING in dog classes), socialization trips to family/friends/neighbors/strangers/etc and leaving the older dogs behind. Means the new puppy will learn to look to you, learn from you, cue from you, rather than the MUCH easier way of just following the other dogs (and not paying much time with the humans at all except around meal times).

Think you are lucky cause you could easily add an older dog or a puppy to your home.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts