German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just got a new bag of Canidae. Both my dogs have been doing really well on Canidae - but this new bag is the new formula.

Both dogs now have really loose stools and even though I have read the threads where people have related this same experience, I am not happy at ALL! How can a company change a food so much - without warning its customers - that it would cause digestive upset!

Someone on a previous thread mentioned getting cans of Canidae that smelled "off". I did, too. I no longer trust this company, am very annoyed, and am open to suggestions for a new food.

We are feeding a 1+ year old GSD/Pit mix and a five-month-old GSD puppy. Any recomendations?

Martie

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
did you mix food from the old bag and new bag gradually?

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
Good luck, I am beyond frustrated. Every morning I have started complementing firm poos and disappointed with the nasty ones, almost like it is the poor dogs' fault.

My four year old is not doing well with the new formula at all. We have a solid poo maybe once a week with him. He gets no extras, only the dry dog food in hopes that he will come around. I am losing patience.

Everyone else is doing fair on it. My girl Jenna is getting boney, so is Tori and Heidi. If I up the amount, the stools get loose again. But I cannot allow them to get boney.

My other major concern is that I have finally completed the last of the old stuff and Babsy had her litter on Thursday. I have been giving her some of the new lamb and rice to ease her into the adjusted formula, but NOW is just not the time to be changing foods!!!

To top it off, I sent my sixty 40# bag UPC symbols with copies of the receipts off to Canidae hoping for 12 new bag coupons. They gave me eight. Eight 35 # bags!!! So yeah, I am a little PO'd with the company.

I did not get bad cans, because I do not feed it. I feed Evanger's organic chicken or the organic turkey meal, when I have a sick or lactating bitch.

Once this litter is weaned and in their new homes, if my crew isn't back to normal, I am going to be seriously concidering new food too. I like Wellness Core, but it is expensive. I like Barking at the Moon too but that is expensive as well. Oh yeah, Canidae is expensive too now.

Errghh!!!

Ok, enough! I guess that is my way of saying I feel your pain. Good luck. One more thought -- changing two dogs is a pain, but finding something that ten dogs all do well on is no picnic.

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
ya know, if you are switching from lamb and rice to salmon and potato, I would expect that one would mix the food and switch gradually over five to seven days.

If you generally go between chicken/rice, four meat source/rice and lamb and rice without mixing food gradually, one would think that you could go from Canidae lamb and rice to the new Canidae lamb and rice that has added way down the list of ingredients, barley, peas, mullet, and fresh lamb. Guess not.

Also, you can screw around with one or two dogs food remembering to give them a cup of this and a half a cup of that, but when you are feeding a bunch of dogs, it is a little more irritating.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm feeding All Life Stages -not changing flavors- and am probably just as mad at myself for not anticipating the change and saving enough of the old food to switch gradually. I still think, however, that the company should have put something on the package saying it is a new formula and would be better to change their formula more gradually. Sue, I agree - can't imagine having this happen with 10 dogs and a litter on the way!

·
Registered
833 Posts
I feel really bad for you guy's that have been using Canidae for years. But this company has made a decision that profits are more important than producing the high quality food that the Canidae used to stand for. As you guy's can attest quality has been slipping for some time now.

But the decision to have Diamond Pet Foods now manufacture their food should be the last straw for you guy's. No matter what they say Canidae will now be a roll of the dice. How long will it be before Canidae will be involved in their first recall. Unfortunitly not long with Diamond now manufacturing their food.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I switched from ALS to Merrick Before Grain. Brenna is doing very well on it, nice small, solid turds. The only thing I have noticed is her coat isn't quite as nice/soft as it was on ALS but I am guessing that can be fixed with some salmon oil, or I might try the salmon BG. I didn't like that there are 3 or 4 grains/starches and figured it would be too much variety for her sensitive tummy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I switched to Innova Adult (Dry) because it appears to be very close to Canidae's old formula. Hans is doing really well on it and I have noticed that he poops less. The Innova has 557 calories per cup so I feed a little less than I did with the Canidae which had 468.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I switched from ALS to Natural Balance (she stopped eating the Canidae for whatever reason so I switched). I'm still having soft stools, but they have gotten much smaller and MAN she has more energy on the NB!

I wanted to try Innova but my local pet store didn't carry it, so we had to "settle" for the NB. I'm kind of annoyed because I recently found the Innova at another store just further down the street. Thats the last time I send my fiance out to look for something!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Originally Posted By: I_LOVE_MY_MIKKOdid you mix food from the old bag and new bag gradually?
I do not think this is an issue, I read all the Canidae posts and my conclusion is they either tolerate it or they don't. I did have old to mix with my new, it did not help one little bit. Soft mush from the start and got work till I quit feeding it. I am having a hard time finding a suitable replacement.

Also, as stated, this was not a change in food. Why would a company feel the need to change a food so much you would even have to contemplate mixing old with new? The new bags were out on shelves before the info was released on the website! So, I really wish people would quit throwing this comment out about not mixing old with new. This is flat out a drastic change in formula that most dogs are not tolerating well.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Blue Buffalo makes some nice foods that you might consider as a replacement for Canidae. It's reasonably priced and they even have a grain free, Blue Buffalo Wilderness.

Merricks' Before Grain is another nice brand. Abby ate this once we moved down here and realized we'd have to drive about an hour to get anything close to the variety of raw she used to get. She did well on it, but had soft (not loose, but soft) stools. We recently changed to Taste of the Wild and her poops are better on that. The TOTW is a little cheaper than the Merrick's, too.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally Posted By: bmass01
Originally Posted By: I_LOVE_MY_MIKKOdid you mix food from the old bag and new bag gradually?
I do not think this is an issue, I read all the Canidae posts and my conclusion is they either tolerate it or they don't. I did have old to mix with my new, it did not help one little bit. Soft mush from the start and got work till I quit feeding it. I am having a hard time finding a suitable replacement.

Also, as stated, this was not a change in food. Why would a company feel the need to change a food so much you would even have to contemplate mixing old with new? The new bags were out on shelves before the info was released on the website! So, I really wish people would quit throwing this comment out about not mixing old with new. This is flat out a drastic change in formula that most dogs are not tolerating well.
I agree!! We shouldn't have to do a gradual changeover to a new formula of the same food. ...and if we did - why not say something - anything - on the bag!! It doesn't even say "New Formula". After a few days, my pup is not even wanting to eat it and both dogs continue with mushy, off-colored stool. Innova, here we come!

Martie

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally Posted By: larrydee33... this company has made a decision that profits are more important than producing the high quality food that the Canidae used to stand for.
The price of rice went up over 250% in the past year. The older Canidae formulas contained a lot of rice... more rice than meat, I believe. Simply put, they had three options: raise the price so high that they would lose a lot of customers, change the formula and lose some customers, or keep charging the same price for the same formula and go out of business.

I think they are doing the best they can with current market situations and I wish them well. (Edited to add: I do agree that the fast change with no warning was a bad decision on their part.)

I don't feed it, BTW... I feed Orijen.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally Posted By: Heather
Originally Posted By: larrydee33... this company has made a decision that profits are more important than producing the high quality food that the Canidae used to stand for.
I think they are doing the best they can with current market situations and I wish them well. (Edited to add: I do agree that the fast change with no warning was a bad decision on their part.)

I don't feed it, BTW... I feed Orijen.
I can sure understand business pressures - am just bitterly disappointed that a food my dogs were doing SO well on is no longer available to them - and quite annoyed with the way this was handled.

I would love to feed Orijen and will - once my puppy is an adult - as I understand it is not good for growing puppies. For now, we will try Innova and hope it works!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Martie,

If you really want to feed Orijen, they DO make a Large Breed Puppy formula that has less cal/phos than the "regular" formulas. (The high cal/phos levels are the reason most folks and some grain free makers say that the rain free kibbles aren't good for puppies.)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally Posted By: BlackGSDMartie,

If you really want to feed Orijen, they DO make a Large Breed Puppy formula that has less cal/phos than the "regular" formulas. (The high cal/phos levels are the reason most folks and some grain free makers say that the rain free kibbles aren't good for puppies.)
Thank you, Tracy. I will look into availability here!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
You're welcome.

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
After opening my first new bag of lamb and rice -- I had no warning, but the kibble looked so different that I looked at the bag and it did say something like, now with Fresh lamb, on the front. I did not look deeper until I had the loose stools and saw this on the net.

I mean, feeding L&R, and offering lamb lung as treats without issue, who would think "fresh lamb" would cause a problem. After loose stools, noticing barley in there, I kind of went off the deep end.

It is hard to switch though at this point. I may just switch Dubya.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts