German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought Major went back home and not lives in the Whitehouse?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I thought Major went to back home and not lives in the White House?
Oh noooo. Im sure all these secret service protection guys surrounding the Prez is giving major some anxiety. Major is probably thinking"hey I thought that was my job?"

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
OK, get that dog either out of the White House or separated from exposure to gov't employees. Lots of blame to go around here and it doesn't start with the dog.
-If the dog is on the lawn, it should be leashed by a family member and under control. Or can they not control it?
-Or was it not leashed?
-Or is an unfamiliar employee actually walking the dog????

"The dog sunk his teeth into a National Park Service employee on the White House South Lawn, and the unidentified victim received treatment at a medical facility on the grounds, according to a CNN report published Tuesday.

"Major is still adjusting to his new surroundings and he nipped someone while on a walk. Out of an abundance of caution, the individual was seen by WHMU and then returned to work without injury," the White House said in a statement obtained by the Washington Examiner."

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought Major went to back home and not lives in the White House?
That was a temporary planned visit per reports when that happened.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Let's be fair. Neither Shadow, who is my favorite disaster, nor Bud would have done well in a setting like that.
This is a dog being a dog. It sucks that so much negative publicity is being reflected at the breed but at the end of the day lets not forget that being a president does not make you more then human.
I can sit here saying I could do better, we all can. Or we could say it sucks, wouldn't want to be trying to manage a difficult dog in their shoes. I have some doubts either of them are dog trainers.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Obviously they've been warned and should have better control after the first incident. I would like to hear from the employees as to what happened. I'm sure that won't happen.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
It would be a tough situation for many shepherds. I'm sure most of the time, it's not even Biden walking or handling his dogs. Just a real tough scenario for a shepherd. If I remember right, even the Portuguese water dogs had some difficulties. A lab is far better cut out for life in the Whitehouse, doesn't make the shepherds bad, just not the right dog for that situation.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

I'm telling you don't mess with that dog, man... don't even look at him crossways...

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
They need to find a better trainer and start muzzling the dog. He is giving the GSD a bad rep and it's not the dog's fault
I agree completely. And - it isn't just making German Shepherds look bad, it is making rescue dogs look bad. My last three dogs were shelter dogs. All were/are wonderful. Surely, the White House can manage to provide a safe space for the dogs and hire someone to train and/or be responsible for them. Anyone of us would be held accountable, if it was our dog who bit two people.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
No "injuries" no bites. Nips perhaps, but blown way out of proportion by the press!

Not saying the Bidens shouldn't look seriously at their dog's management. But really? A GSD Bite requires stitches!

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No "injuries" no bites. Nips perhaps, but blown way out of proportion by the press!

Not saying the Bidens shouldn't look seriously at their dog's management. But really? A GSD Bite requires stitches!
But we really don't know. This second one was an employee working outside. Stopped working to receive care, inexcusable. Not interacting with the dog per the skimpy report. Employees should not have to watch their back not knowing if a grown GSD is going to bite/nip them. It's massively different to me if a dog can't be kept under control by whoever is in charge of it. Hope there aren't ever unknown young children around.

Reactions: Stevenzachsmom

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Can the family home portion of the White House not be off limits to anyone by family and isn't there a private yard area?

The "rescue" industry (God love 'em) has done a great job romanticizing "I got a rescue/she's a rescue" but often, there's a reason they were given up and from what I've seen, some rescues do a terrible job of vetting new potential owners.

Friends of my daughter got a GSD/cross rescue and it growls/fake rushes and now has just nipped a friend in their house. These are 20 somethings and are clueless.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
I had a rescue that was very similar to Major. He was fine in his own element but could never have tolerated living in a public setting. I’m furious at the damage this is doing to our breed and I agree with the above comment that rescued dogs don’t always make good companion dogs. Our dog had to be managed until the day he passed. Real dog lovers would never put a dog Iike that into constant stress situations. They need a better plan before someone is seriously hurt and the dog is put down. Medical treatment was sought after one of the bites, so they weren’t harmless.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts