German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight as I was driving home from work I almost slammed into a little husky. She ran out right in front of my car. She continued running around in the middle of this intersection so I pulled over and got out. Kendra my GSD was in the back so I grabbed her leash to try and catch the dog...typical husky she ran everytime I got close lol. But what annoyed me about this was theyre were TONS of people that drove by, many almost hitting the dog and not ONE person stopped to help or even roll down there window to ask...pathetic!!!! After about 10 minutes and a bag of sample dog food in my car (this is why I dont clean it, you never know what your going to need LMAO)!!! I finally caught her. Fortunetly she had tags that had a number and I was able to drive her home at 1:00a..Just sad that no one else could bother themselves with stopping for 2 seconds....

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
People in this world are just to busy! The are in a hurry to get nowhere! Glad you were able to get that pup home.

·
Registered
68 Posts
but you did the right thing..I got turtle out of the road..he was size of dinner plate...YOU can fix stupid..or people ...just keep your side the street clean...that was total AWESOME.....

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I remember being out rollerblading one evening and coming across a Samoyed. Poor thing was dragging its leash (chewed through nylon) and running scared.

It almost got hit by a couple cars before I got up to where I could try to catch him. I ended up having to take off my rollerblades because the poor thing was so freaked. When I finally caught it I went to every single house on both sides of the street asking if it was there dog or if they knew who it belonged to in my sock feet. No one knew it at all.

I ended up walking home with him in my sock feet for the night and he was so friendly. There was visible relief when he figured out he had a person to take care of him.

Found his home then next morning (the one house that had no one home the night before.) They had tied him out on a 6ft nylon leash. He chewed through that and then jumped the 6 foot privacy fence dragging 4 feet of leash. The gods only know how he didn't strangle himself

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you can categorize everyone by people who have pets and people who dont LOL. I had a foster years ago that bolted out the front door when I opened it. He was a miniture schnauzer from a puppy mill. I ran after him bare foot in my pjs for what seemed like an hour..he was FAST. I dont know how many people drove by looking and no one stopped then either. I would hope that if I was in that situation I would stop...all I could think about last night is maybe people didn't want to stop because it was so late and dark but still...ridiculous

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
thanks for catching the dog. what did the owners
say when you returned the dog?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I hear you Marissa believe me. I found a Dachshund running around one day, I stopped traffic and picked him up. Too late though, he was already hit by a car by then and had to be put down. Can't believe people.....So many cars were just driving by as this poor thing was obviously in distress. Oh yea, it was over 100 degrees out too

The second incident I remember is when I was working as an Environmental Tech about 10 years ago. A good sized turtle was crossing the highway, near the beach. The road wasn't busy at all. A group of college girls home for spring break, nailed him. I looked in their car and remember seeing them laughing. Days like this, it is easy to lose faith in humanity!

Anyway, good for you for catching and returning the dog.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for catching the dog. what did the owners
say when you returned the dog?
It was a little odd actually. The guy didn't seem to realize the dog was missing. When I told him the breed he said her name which she responded to when I said it to her. I think he was out of town because he said he thinks his son must have lost her and he came out to get her when I dropped her off. Nice guy though so I wasnt concerned about the dog at all...oh well....

·
Registered
397 Posts
People in this world are just to busy! The are in a hurry to get nowhere! Glad you were able to get that pup home.
What Vat said. Its ridiculous, everytime Im out I look at everyone driving and practically killing themselves and others to RACE ahead to get where? Right next to me at the red light :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I remember I was driving home from the hospital once and this cat ran out in front of me got hit by the car in front of me. The poor thing was spinning :( I had to swerve to keep from running over it. I pulled over to see if I could find the kitty to take him to the emergency vet, but I couldn't find him :(

Another time I was driving with the driving instructor (first time too) and this lady opened her door and her Pom ran out across the street to get to the dog on the other side of the street and I couldn't stop in time or move and I hit it :( we stopped and helped the lady get him into her car to take to the vet then we stayed waiting for her to come back and when she did she told us he died. I cried I felt so bad. I've never heard a dog scream like that and I don't want to ever again. the lady told me it wasn't my fault, but I still felt horrible and I still do to this day.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember I was driving home from the hospital once and this cat ran out in front of me got hit by the car in front of me. The poor thing was spinning :( I had to swerve to keep from running over it. I pulled over to see if I could find the kitty to take him to the emergency vet, but I couldn't find him :(

Another time I was driving with the driving instructor (first time too) and this lady opened her door and her Pom ran out across the street to get to the dog on the other side of the street and I couldn't stop in time or move and I hit it :( we stopped and helped the lady get him into her car to take to the vet then we stayed waiting for her to come back and when she did she told us he died. I cried I felt so bad. I've never heard a dog scream like that and I don't want to ever again. the lady told me it wasn't my fault, but I still felt horrible and I still do to this day.
Thats so sad Im sorry you had to see that, but atleast you offered your help and was there for the owner. Not many people would do that. I work for an Emergency Animal Clinic and almost every hit by car we see the driver was a hit and run...soooo unbelievably sad and heartless. Its nice to know that some people do the right thing! The husky last night was very lucky I didn't hit her..she came out of nowhere!!!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Thats so sad Im sorry you had to see that, but atleast you offered your help and was there for the owner. Not many people would do that. I work for an Emergency Animal Clinic and almost every hit by car we see the driver was a hit and run...soooo unbelievably sad and heartless. Its nice to know that some people do the right thing! The husky last night was very lucky I didn't hit her..she came out of nowhere!!!
yes that Husky was very lucky indeed. My dad stopped to get a turtle out of the road once.

·
Registered
604 Posts
...atleast you offered your help and was there for the owner. Not many people would do that. I work for an Emergency Animal Clinic and almost every hit by car we see the driver was a hit and run...soooo unbelievably sad and heartless.
Sadly, very true. I found a baby deer on the side of the road in my neighborhood (we live next to a state park). Someone had probably hit it with a car and it was lying in the grass, its back end totally messed up, blood on the ground around it, but it hadn't died yet. Someone hit it and just left it there to suffer. When I got too close he tried to get up and run away but he didn't get very far, he was just too injuried. I called the game warden and they came out and picked him up. Poor baby :(

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is so sad. I just hate to see an animal suffer. The least someone could have done was call someone like you did after they hit it...I just couldn't live with myself driving away knowing that some animal could be laying there suffering.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
That is so sad. I just hate to see an animal suffer. The least someone could have done was call someone like you did after they hit it...I just couldn't live with myself driving away knowing that some animal could be laying there suffering.
me either that's why i tried to find the kitty that got hit, but it was too dark and on a busy street :(

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts
I was an hour late to work one day, chasing down a greyhound that was running through my neighborhood.

Poor girl was exhausted and kept lying down in people's front yards, but would jump up and bolt everytime I got near. At one point I ran back home and got a package of deli ham and bribed her and was finally able to get close enough to grab her.

I called Greyhound Rescue and they were there within the hour to pick her up. They managed to locate her owners on the other side of town.

I still can't believe I caught a greyhound!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts