German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

Im devastated. We brought my boy to this nice lady shop that we met 2 weeks ago and she had a kid with a golden retriever, last night. Her kid wanted to meet Bandit so we brought him there. 10 minutes into him playing with the kid, some other kids came. They were playing with the soccer ball and asked about my boy, so finally we let him off the leash so he can play with the kids. He was having a blast, kids were having fun. And after maybe 5 minutes we call him back and put him back into the car. Next thing i know 10 minutes later, the kid parents came out fussing, they were speaking spanish so we didnt understand until the lady who own the shop translated. He told us that the kid said our dog bit him and him and the parent was yelling saying he was badly injured. So they called an ambulance and what not and when emt and police came, they didnt see any punctured skin, barely a little scrap. But animal control came and picked him up saying he had to be put in 10 day quarantine. And for what? The kid had no bite mark at all on him.

Now the house feels so empty without him. I know its only 10 days, but that's 10 days too long. All because a rotten apple ruined it for everyone. I just dont know what to do. I keep wondering if theyre treating him right, are they abusing him. I stayed there for 3 hours with him until animal control even came. He was so frollicky as usual, running around, trying to catch flies. And then i had to put him in that small cramped up crate in the animal control car, and watch them drive away. He must be so confused right now..

Im sorry if this is kind of long. I need someone to talk to.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Go to animal control and see if you can quarantine him elsewhere. Is he not up to date on his vaccines?
People will probably try to sue you....if there was nothing but a scratch, how can it be proved your dog even did it?
Sorry you are dealing with this, lesson learned, never ever let your dog play with anyone you don't know and trust.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Go to animal control and see if you can quarantine him elsewhere. Is he not up to date on his vaccines?
People will probably try to sue you....if there was nothing but a scratch, how can it be proved your dog even did it?
Sorry you are dealing with this, lesson learned, never ever let your dog play with anyone you don't know and trust.
Omg. This^^
They may be looking for an easy target to sue. I am sorry, get everything in line and date n document the occurrence, noting the time relapse between taking your dog and the bite complaint.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If he is up to date on rabies vaccination, most of the shelters here will allow quarantine at your vet, sometimes at home. If they will allow it, move fast and get your dog out of the shelter.

Out of curiosity - which shelter is he quarantined at?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If he is up to date on rabies vaccination, most of the shelters here will allow quarantine at your vet, sometimes at home. If they will allow it, move fast and get your dog out of the shelter.

Out of curiosity - which shelter is he quarantined at?
Clayton county animal shelter in georgia. The thing is i dont even have the recent papers for his vaccination. I recently not too long ago cancelled the optomus wellness plan at banfield because they almost killed my dog and only caref about money. So im not even sure if they have records anymore.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
They have the records. Call them and find out. Get a copy of the rabies vaccination.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Go back to where he was vaccinated and ask for his records. They should still have them. Then take the records over to the shelter and check on your dog and ask if you can quarantine him at home.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
You need to get those records ASAP! Call Banfield and try to get a copy and, if not, call animal control and ask how to get them. ALWAYS keep those records. I have a photocopy in my truck at all times in addition to a scanned copy on my computer and the original at home. You are lucky you got a 10 day quarantine; that is the duration for IMMUNIZED dogs. Non immunized can be 6 months or immediate euthanasia.

They may or may not let you shelter your dog at home. They probably would at your vet. The "bite dogs" often get bad treatment at animal shelters.

I would also ask for a copy of any bite reports for my files for future reference. Patient privacy may overrule but you should have some right of access to the records with personal information redacted. Did they file an insurance claim against you?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
My dog will nip when she's in drive and you are playing. She's not biting and does not break the skin, she's just leaking drive. (This was more when she was a puppy. Someone at her daycare, a new girl, said my dog bit one of the girls there, but the girl said 'oh no! I was throwing leaves at her and she was trying to grab them and I got in the way, I'm totally fine!'. You can imagine the heart attack I was having in the meantime)

Never leave your dog to play with other people's kids.

10 days quarantine is normal even for a vaccinated dog, but if your dog is unvaccinated they will need to observe him most likely. Just happened to my co-worker, except his little dog bit his grandkid in the face when she tried to hug him and the dog meant business.

Sorry about the ordeal, hopefully you'll get your dog back in 10 days without further incident.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Clayton county animal shelter in georgia. The thing is i dont even have the recent papers for his vaccination. I recently not too long ago cancelled the optomus wellness plan at banfield because they almost killed my dog and only caref about money. So im not even sure if they have records anymore.
OK, Clayton County is NOT one of the better shelters. Do you have a new vet yet or still using Banfield? Does Banfield even do boarding?

Banfield is open now, get a copy of his records and then get to the shelter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What does them not speaking the language have to do with it?

Anyway, yeah, people are always looking out to sue. I hope this ends well. Were yu there during the play? Or you left them?

Also, i'd never let my dog play with kids. Just too much risk. They get worked up and can hurt kids by accident. Too late for all this but for the future.

I hope you can get your dog out ASAP
I was there the whole time watching him play with the kids. I didnt see anything at all. He had his rabies vaccination july of last year, for a one year shot. I recently switched him to a different vet more clos to home, and theyre actually better. Im going to bandield and hopefully they still have his shots record.

I called the animal control shelter and they said he's doing fine and if anything i can pick him up on july 2nd. The only problem is, i hope they dont try to do something stupid and end up with some nonsense and put my boy down. Im just super worried.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I was there the whole time watching him play with the kids. I didnt see anything at all. He had his rabies vaccination july of last year, for a one year shot. I recently switched him to a different vet more clos to home, and theyre actually better. Im going to bandield and hopefully they still have his shots record.

I called the animal control shelter and they said he's doing fine and if anything i can pick him up on july 2nd. The only problem is, i hope they dont try to do something stupid and end up with some nonsense and put my boy down. Im just super worried.
So where is the proof that he bit someone? Even so, you should ask if you can quarantine him at home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So where is the proof that he bit someone? Even so, you should ask if you can quarantine him at home.
Theres no type of proof at all. I even talked to the officer called. He said he didnt see any puncture, barely a scrape, maybe nothing at all. The whole tome even though the kid was "really injured" he was running around still playing with the soccer ball while i had to deal with the police. The kid is 13 years old now. I dont think age matters, but i would understand more if he was like 8 years old.

I even looked at the kid leg myself. It looked bruised like something hit him but i saw no bite marks.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Wow, is all I can say. You don't even know if the scratch came from your dog, could have just happened in all the play - either by himself or another child.

You really need to get the vaccination records so someone does not start vaccination the child - those shots are very expensive.

We've never let our dogs play with children and don't even let children pet them because people in this country are so litigious now.

We had a feral kitten we took to the vet for vaccinations. All over the crate we put warning - Feral Cat. The vet tech tried to handle the kitten without protection, got bit and we were required to quarantine the kitten in our home. We had a police officer check on us twice during that time. The weird thing was the kitten had been vaccinated for rabies a week earlier.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I'm going to be blunt here.

Your dog is at risk and is in extreme danger if you do not provide proof of rabies vac.
I'm going to be even more blunt so that you get off the Internet, take off work if need be, and get this paperwork from your vet over to animal control TODAY:

In many parts of the country (including much of the Deep South), without proof of rabies vax, AC will euthanize the dog, cut off its head, and send the severed head to the state university's vet school to dissect to look for evidence of rabies in the brain tissue. A 10-day hold on an unvaccinated dog is very generous -- here, that's what the vaccinated dogs get.

Take that paperwork in person to animal control. Talk to the shelter director while you are there to guarantee no euthanasia and request approval to transfer to your new vet for the remaining observation period, at your expense.

Be prepared for the possibility of a proceeding where AC seeks an order designating your pet a "dangerous dog" requiring it to be muzzled whenever it leaves the confines of your home--for life. This is a big, serious thing: your homeowners insurance company will likely not insure your dog once it has a "dangerous dog" label (and may not if there's a bite history anyway). It depends on your community as to whether this will happen, and whether animal control routinely does that -- try your best to make nice with the shelter director and AC officer as best you can so that they understand your version of the facts and aren't inclined to pursue this. You may need to hire a lawyer, if they do.

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
if you get your dog home
Never leave your dog to play with other people's kids.
ever
because of these type things here
whether or not the dog used his mouth you cannot even say at this point

get the rabies vaccine record and go get your dog before he is put to sleep!

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I know folks are giving your dire warnings but (1) depending on the law, many states do euthanize or hold for 6 months, if there are no innoculation records and (2) this may be the first strike on your dog being labeled as dangerous, the 2nd strike=death.
I would sure make sure this does not go in your dog's "permanent record", and it could also impact your insurability etc. It is very important to clear it all up now.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
One of my own dogs bit me on the hand while I was breaking up a spat between two dogs. I needed to have x-rays, stitches, and antibiotics and because it was a bite, the hospital reported it to the county. Animal Control came to my house, but since my dogs had current rabies certificates and current county dog licenses, I was asked to keep my dog at home for 10 days. They checked back after 10 days to make sure me and the dog were not dead of rabies and that was that. If I hadn't had the rabies certificate, I think they would have taken my dog away and either quarantined him at the shelter (probably in this case, since he bit me his owner during a dog fight, he didn't bite a kid or attack anyone), or put the dog down (likely if he had bit a stranger). You MUST be able to show the dog is up to date on the rabies vaccination, and if he is not, consider it a lesson learned for the future. That is the one thing you can't mess around with because they will seize and possibly euthanize the dog.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts