German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had pet insurance for my GSD Chaos for about 2 years now. I have never had to make a claim, for which I am grateful.:) I wanted it for any unforseen/emergency situation, or if Chaos developed hip dysplasia or some devastating equivalent, and resultingly required an extensive surgery. So I got the "Unlimited Coverage" for accidents and illness, because I know that vet costs for such things often exceed the "maximum coverage amount per condition per year".

I was torn between opening a pet savings account vs. acquiring pet insurance, but ultimately chose the pet insurance as I was worried about suddenly needing immediate and expensive vet treatment, and not having the funds available in the pet account. So when I chose the pet insurance, I felt secure in the knowledge that I would at any time have the ability to submit a claim for an "unlimited" amount of coverage.

However, about a week ago, I received a letter outlining the "Great New Plan" that is replacing the current (and now obsolete) plan that I originally signed up for. This fantastic bargain :rolleyes: no longer offers unlimited coverage (the best plan boasts a maximum of $2000 per accident, and $2000 per condition per year), and yet is being offered for about the same premium that I am currently paying. I am thinking that $2000 will hardly put a dent in most of the situations that I rationalized purchasing the insurance for, and that I most likely can get that kind of "fantastic bargain" coverage for much cheaper from a different insurance company.

Is this normal? Is this legal? I am just absolutely stupefied. My husband wishes to repurchase pet insurance from a different company, but I am more convinced than ever that opening a pet savings account is infinitely more intelligent. He is worried that we will decide to use the money elsewhere in an emergency; this will not be allowed to occur. He is worried that he will not feel compelled to contribute his part into the account; this will not be allowed to occur. He is worried that something will come up in the near future and we won't have the funds in the pet account to cover it; this may occur, and we will have to figure it out. However, I am worried that we will pay for years and years of coverage for our relatively young pets, and then, in their golden years when their expenses are most likely to necessitate an actual claim, the policy will spontaneously change. Not just change its deductable, or its co-payment, but completely change its coverage from "Unlimited" to "$2000 per incident or per illness per year", which has just happened with Purina Care.

Has this happened to anyone else? Am I justified in feeling that Purina just completely screwed us and our dog? Perhaps they have a higher than average number of claims. Perhaps most people that are buying their insurance are simultaneously feeding Purina's waste matter to their pets. I believe that I am sensing a link here.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
different BUT,,,Ok my daughter bought a cell phone plan for unlimited North American usage, this while attending a US university. The plan was for 3 yrs, she came back to Can and shortly she was informed her plan had been changed and they no longer covered her plan, she emailed, wrote, called etc and then I started doing the same for her, anyway they finally agreed to continue her plan when I argued she wouldn't have been able to just cancel a contract nor amend it, so they were stuck with it.

It took lots of calls and demanding higher management continually and in the mean time they cut off her phone, cause she refused to pay the sudden exorbitant charges, but she continued submitting the regular amount. so if you have anything in writing, tell them you refuse to allow them to change the contract, but keep paying the amount so they can't use that as their excuse, good luck, we have no legal background, just stubbornness

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I've never heard of pet plans covering things like hip dysplasia, so maybe your insurance was the exception and is now changing that????
There's actually quite a few plans out there that cover genetic problems :). I remember finding a lot of them when I was trying to find something that covered hip dysplasia, but most were american. :(

It doesn't sound legal for them to change the plan you already signed up for. I mean, isn't it some sort of contract? I thought you couldn't change a contract after it's been signed, otherwise when you go to put in a claim aren't they are free to go "Oh! We JUST changed our plan and no longer cover that. Sorry! Thanks for the money, though!" ?

You should definitely try and contact them or find a better pet insurance. Maybe if they get enough angry people calling/mailing them they'll allow all the people who were already signed up with that plan to stay on it and just not allow any new people to sign up for it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what to do yet. My husband is definitely rooting for the pet insurance, but said it was ultimately up to me. I'm still feeling rather disgruntled after this recent screw over. How many people decided to open a pet savings account vs. signing up for pet insurance?

·
Registered
288 Posts
When I looked at pet insurance, most "breed specific" problems (ie. hips in GSD) was not covered. As far as your case, it seems wrong to be able to change a policy once it has begun. Currently we do not have insurance for our two dogs. If something happens, we'll be pulling out of our savings. Is there a "better business bureau" you can contact?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I looked at pet insurance, most "breed specific" problems (ie. hips in GSD) was not covered. As far as your case, it seems wrong to be able to change a policy once it has begun. Currently we do not have insurance for our two dogs. If something happens, we'll be pulling out of our savings. Is there a "better business bureau" you can contact?
I will have to look further into figuring all this legal crap out. But as far as coverage for hip dysplasia, I carefully read through the policy prior to purchasing it to be certain that hip displasia would be covered. It was, unless it was a pre-existing condition.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Anything with the name purina on it, I tend to stay away from...

·
Registered
320 Posts
My pet plan did something similar. Just one day out of the blue, I got a letter that they changed my policy to something not as good for the same price! :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts