German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Mace is good... but my friend had to use hers the other day and the person kept attacking her.
there was a thread on here about wasp spray!! as i said in that thread a small can of aerosol hair spray does nicely as well. So do the aerosol breath sprays.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well, she won't be doing that again. Guaranteed. I wanted to take my older GS and take a walk down there with DH, but those people are pretty shady, and I am a little intimidated. There are about 15 or so people living in the home, and the police are there all the time. Police already confiscated a Pit from them, and the have a new one already. So, not sure what he really was interested in-my dd or my pup. Either way, can't wait until he is much bigger.
But, we DO NOT leave them in the yard alone. Puppy is very attached to our feet, and loves to be right next to them.. so believe me, we are gonna watch them with hawk eyes...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
there was a thread on here about wasp spray!! as i said in that thread a small can of aerosol hair spray does nicely as well. So do the aerosol breath sprays.
I prefer my 16+1 round XDm 9mm. :D

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I prefer my 16+1 round XDm 9mm. :D

yeah i dont do guns. lol. I'd much rather the spray and having Zena with me as she's my teeth backed by muscle untrusting girl. especially if shady men (or people in general) approach.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
There's a reason God made the jewels hang on a man. :D

-E

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
There's a reason God made the jewels hang on a man. :D

-E

ouch! lol. I'm not saying i wouldnt use a gun. I just dont know how to use one and therefore until i have the time to learn and keep practicing, not touching them! plus the gun can be taken away and used against me. My dogs cant be used against me like that. Zena would literally rip someones arm off if she needed to if it meant she wouldnt be taken away or me get hurt.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I don't get why this is so scary and creepy. I must be used to it. People come up to me in 'da hood' all the time and talk. They're just people and unless he said something really inappropriate and then she KNEW he followed her home and tried not to let her know about it I wouldn't get myself into a panic.. And even then I'd say "Gee, what a jerk." and keep an eye out.
I agree with this, I don't see anything wrong. Some people ask who the breeder is so they can get a similar dog, and some people are lazy or so smitten with that dog that they find it easier to just get that exact dog.

It's a neighbor, doesn't he already know where you live anyway? Why would he need to follow your daughter home? 19 is old enough to be moved out, it seems like he already knew that the dog belonged to you and not to your daughter.

·
Registered
262 Posts
There are lots of folks out there with very poor social skills. I'm not trying to play this incident down, but it could very well be that this neighbor liked your dog sooo much that he wanted one exactly like yours. Instead of handling the thing tactfully, he just made an offer (with poor social skills). Have you even spoken to this neighbor ? If he lives a few houses away, he wouldn't need to follow your daughter home to see where you live.
I think the best solution to give you peace of mind is to confront the situation upfront. Just go for a casual walk to this neighbor (with your GSD) and do let him know that you heard from your daughter about his interest in your GSD. Just be polite yet firm and let him know that your GSD is more family than just a house pet and is not for sale...but if he is interested he could get another one just like yours from your breeder..blah blah.
This will ensure 2 things:
1) It will reinforce in his mind the fact that you treat the GSD as family and won't part (for money or otherwise) and that you won't stop looking for your dog (getting law enforcement involved, etc) if it should go missing.
2) It will also give you a chance to figure out what the intentions of this neighbor. Is he someone with poor communication skills but means no harm or otherwise.

We've a few folks in our s/d with very poor social skills. They used to stare at us when we are outdoors (to the point of my wife becoming uncomfortable). After a few months, I deliberatly walked down the cul-de sac when they were outdoors and just struck up a quick conversation about their landscape and made sure to mention that we've seen them observing us (didn't use the word staring). In 5 minutes I found out they were relatively harmless. Now when they see us, I make it a point to wave at them. Sometimes they wave back..most of the times they don't. But they no longer stand and stare. They got the message that we see them staring at us and we have our eyes on them too. Firm but gentle confrontation did the trick.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I know you are upset about this - I would be too. Several years ago, I was fostering a 6 months old gsd. I would drop her off in the day time for day care and pick her up on the way home from work. This one particular day, I arrive home and the foster and I walked to the mail box together. There was a young man walking down the street looking back and forth at all the houses and looking at the dog - kepte looking at the dog and eyeing my house. The next morning I took her in for spaying. As usual, I would check my front door, storm door and set the blinds and lock the metal gate going into the living room so the other dogs could not get in that room.

When I returned home that evening and passed the living room and looked in, my livinig room door was wide open. Don't know for sure but the only thing I can think of is this guy came back for the puppy - only to be met by 4 dogs - one of which is my avatar that weighs 98 lbs, does not like unknown people in his territory, and when placing his front paws on the top of the metal gate is big! I think this guy decided it best not to go any further.

So please be careful. I hope all of you will be safe.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I agree with this, I don't see anything wrong. Some people ask who the breeder is so they can get a similar dog, and some people are lazy or so smitten with that dog that they find it easier to just get that exact dog.

It's a neighbor, doesn't he already know where you live anyway? Why would he need to follow your daughter home? 19 is old enough to be moved out, it seems like he already knew that the dog belonged to you and not to your daughter.
That's what I was wondering. All of my neighbors know where I live and that I have two dogs. People in the next neighborhood over even know where that I live in this neighborhood (maybe not exact house -- but they've seen me walking my dog/dogs enough to know somewhat the direction I live in).
I've never had a question to buy my dog, but I typically get asked the normals (age, where I got her, etc etc) and get told how pretty she is. :)
I think I would probably be a little bothered by someone asking to buy my dog too -- just seems like an oddball question to me.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I have not read through all the posts-but here's my two cents.

I would call the police. Why? Because your daughter told him the dog was not for sale and he followed her-completely inappropiate and scary.

I think microchipping is a good idea-don't get me wrong and you should have it done-but if someone is intent on stealing your dog and selling them-or lord know what-the chances of the microchip recovering the dog are slim.

If this were *me* I would call the police and maybe even with my husband visit the guy's house who did this, so he knows there are eyes on him.

Very scary and I'm sorry this happened. GSD attract alot of attention, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
It really just might be poor social skills from a young man who was interested in your daughter. I think that would concern me, more than his poor use of a come on line. What comes to mind is;

"Hey, like your dog!" (poor attempt to start a conversation)
"It belongs to my parents" (snubbed and continues walking)
"Hey, I'd like to buy it" ( poor attempt to keep her from walking away)
(snubbed again, she continues to walk)
"Hey! You gonna ask your parents?"
(now she is frightened and hurries home)

I most certainly could be wrong, and the intentions were focused on the pup. But I'd be worried that a shady charecter had his sights on my daughter.

·
Registered
664 Posts
There is the possibility that he thinks your daughter is cute and wanted to talk to her- which is also a concern in an entirely different way.
This is what I was thinking, too, especially with regard to the "$1500," like he's some big shot. :rolleyes:

That's the one drawback of having a GSD puppy -- I don't like the looks she gets by some people. One evening when we were walking her and her hackles went up when we came across another dog, these three slimy guys were acting like that was really cool, as if she was "mean." Yuck! Those are the kind of people that scare me the most about my dog.

But we have control over whether slime-balls have access to our pets or not. Remember: you have control.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I am sorry you that happened to you. I have had a man around the block from me ask me more than once if I wanted to breed Molly to his male dog. The guy seemed very persistent about your dog. I would be rather cautious.

How about you and your daughter take both of your dogs out together(make sure you have a cell phone.) Especially with this economy people will be desperate to get a good looking dog and do anything to get it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I agree with the posts about confronting the neighbor, with your husband and keep it simple. Tell the guy that he frightened your daughter, and that what he did was inappropriate. This lets him know that you know who is is and where he lives-right back at him! This works both ways. Make a complaint to your local law enforcement as well. Where we live they would take a report, but doubtful anything else.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Hmm, I live in one of those neighborhoods I guess.. and offers to buy my dog are common, when I had the bulldog even more so. Dogs are just property to a ton of people and a status symbol to have a big mean dog. Didn't sound like he was rude or inappropriate at all.. Just didn't realize some people view their pets as family. I always reply with "Nah, he's my boy - no price on him."
That's really smart. Sometimes people are just assessing the value of something by offering to buy it. A friend of mine got an offer on his sailboat on his property and he declined, the next day it was gone. They probably figured it was worth more.
If they know you decline because he's *really* not for sale, not cuz their offer is low, they may not be as interested.
You're right about the mase too. Worthless.
I live in "da hood" too and sometimes I just drive to a better neighborhood or the dog park if hubs isn't around to walk the dogs. I'm not messing with weapons on my walks. :)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts