German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter (19 year old) just took our 19 week old puppy for a walk, and a "shady" neighbor(about 8-10 house down) stopped her to ask her if he was a GSD, and she said yes. And he said, I will give you $1500 for it right now. She said no, and kept walking, and he said, you wanna go home and ask your parents. And she said, uh no. And just kept walking. But, because she was scared, she walked right home-and thinks she may have been followed.

I am infuriated, and also-completely in a panic. I have heard of a lot of dogs being stolen, and now I am a nervous wreck.

Anyone have anything to suggest or say? He has an appt on Oct 13th to get chipped, however, we are going to call first thing in the morning to see if we can get it done ASAP..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hopefully the person was just being an idiot. I've had very similar experiences with my two where people will actually start upping their offers because they don't understand NO very well. I'm hoping that's the case here also.
If ya'll are still creeped out by the guy, I would just be cautious around the house for a few weeks and be cautious of your surroundings out on walks. I think it depends on how things go from here to determine how you proceed.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yep that would freak me out a little too. It isn't uncommon to get stopped on the street by people who want to ask about the dog, but I haven't had anyone offer to buy.

Just make sure the pup is never out of your sight.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Why not go talk to the guy with your DH? Explain this encounter was inappropriate, that your house has cameras, and if you spot him on your property you will press charges for trespassing. May be enough to spook him from bothering your daughter again or trying to steal your pup:)

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
I would just call the police and tell them that he followed your daughter home and that she is very nervous and upset by his insistence. It would be worth it to have a report at least on file in case something DOES happen

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I've brought both pups to my office which is in a really nice office park and usually there are delivery or repair or lawn service people around. I was stopped twice by guys who asked how much I paid for them and if I wanted to sell them. One guy said he wanted one for his daughter's birthday that weekend, coincidentally. Since I work for the Catholic diocese and there are lots of priests around it's pretty much an 'off-limits' office for scammers and thieves. I'd definitely keep my eyes open and not let her walk the dog alone for a few days.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We typically don't leave him or my 8.5 year old GSD alone in the yard anyway, but it still creeps me out. I never have had anyone offer anything for my older one. Typically no one bothers us and will go out of their way to walk across the street or stay far away.
But, I will be more on alert now.
What kind of world do we live in that we have to watch out for kids and our animals. It is really mind blowing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, she is so creeped out by the whole thing, that I highly doubt she will do that again. She is not home alot, and was trying to bond with puppy. I told her that would be a good thing to get him to bond with her too..

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I've had offers to buy (or to breed! ick) and some of my friends have with their GSDs as well. So many creepers out there!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I don't blame you for being so upset. I would definitely try to get your appt to have your pup microchipped sooner. I think I would call the police and file a report especially since it was your daughter that was followed.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I can't say as I blame her for being creeped out. I would be as well. And I would carry pepper spray with me from here on out when walking the pup.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Hmm, I live in one of those neighborhoods I guess.. and offers to buy my dog are common, when I had the bulldog even more so. Dogs are just property to a ton of people and a status symbol to have a big mean dog. Didn't sound like he was rude or inappropriate at all.. Just didn't realize some people view their pets as family. I always reply with "Nah, he's my boy - no price on him."

Around here, I offer to buy dogs off of people when they're in real bad situations.. And I normally get a price. I posted a ton about a pup I was working to save. I paid $80 for her off of someone.

I've had more offers to breed him and my others than I care to count.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
And she said, uh no. And just kept walking. But, because she was scared, she walked right home-and thinks she may have been followed.
Just to repost this.. Those saying call the police. The guy didn't stalk her home for sure..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Chipping only does so much. Unless it has a GPS tracker in it, the chip can't really help you. My fiance and I went around to every vet in the area when we lost her cat. He was chipped, but it was explained to us that unless the vet randomly checked for a chip (which isn't common), there's no way the dog is going to raise any flags. If the guy stole the dog, he would probably play it smart about the vet too.

I would buy your daughter some mace and keep an eye out. I also wouldn't leave the dog outside or in the car for a little while. You just can't trust people.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i am so sorry about her experience! those are never fun! i would definitely keep a very close eye on the pup and your other dog and more so your daughter. That sounds like a really creepy situation. I hope everything works out and calms down and this kind of thing doesnt happen again.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I don't get why this is so scary and creepy. I must be used to it. People come up to me in 'da hood' all the time and talk. They're just people and unless he said something really inappropriate and then she KNEW he followed her home and tried not to let her know about it I wouldn't get myself into a panic.. And even then I'd say "Gee, what a jerk." and keep an eye out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts