German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Julie here.

I have two German shepherds. One is F/12 years old (Allison) she is my best girl. Then we have Obe.....he is the devil himself. He is 11 months old not neutered. His activities include chewing carpet, jumping on the kitchen table, counters, teasing my dog, chasing the cat, attacking neighbors dogs at the fence, nipping people in the butt, chewing doors, launching himself at people who come to the house,,,...and the list goes on. Boy, he is wonderful! Not! I don't like him.

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
Hello, Julie here.

I have two German shepherds. One is F/12 years old (Allison) she is my best girl. Then we have Obe.....he is the devil himself. He is 11 months old not neutered. His activities include chewing carpet, jumping on the kitchen table, counters, teasing my dog, chasing the cat, attacking neighbors dogs at the fence, nipping people in the butt, chewing doors, launching himself at people who come to the house,,,...and the list goes on. Boy, he is wonderful! Not! I don't like him.
April Fool's?

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
Oh.
I thought it was April Fools' Day joke.

Because all those problems listed above are caused by lack of training, and are not the dog's fault.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sounds like an untrained dog that's bored out of its mind

·
Registered
123 Posts
"Angel dog & the Devil"

Hello, Julie here.

Hi Julie! Please don't take this as rude or intentionally offensive, but how old was Allison when you got her? The problems you've listed are quite common and point to youth and lack of training. I got introduced to german shepherds through someone who was trying to re-home their dog. She was WONDERFUL! Well behaved, obedient, smart. When she passed I got a GSD puppy expecting the same dog......wow what a surprise I got! Please look into training/trainers if you haven't already. This is a great breed but NOT an easy one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got Allison when she was one. Obe, we've only had him a couple months. We have a fenced in yard, but he needs to stay on a chain due to him attacking other dogs. He does go on long walks, and is great on the leash. I tried taking him to a dog park, but he did not like the other dogs. I did contact a trainer, we have a few meetings set up. Doing what I can to make him happy :)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
We got Allison when she was one. Obe, we've only had him a couple months. We have a fenced in yard, but he needs to stay on a chain due to him attacking other dogs. He does go on long walks, and is great on the leash. I tried taking him to a dog park, but he did not like the other dogs. I did contact a trainer, we have a few meetings set up. Doing what I can to make him happy :)
No, don't make him happy. Don't cater to that, because jumping on the table and sniffing butts is what makes him happy. Sounds like he just needs some obedience training. Does he know any commands like, sit or down? It will take some work, but he can be a good boy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol when I say make him happy, I don't mean that. I mean throw ball, walks and such. He is learning commands. When we got him, he had no training. I have been working with him. He knows sit, down and such. He just learned them, so working to do it on command, when told.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Lol when I say make him happy, I don't mean that. I mean throw ball, walks and such. He is learning commands. When we got him, he had no training. I have been working with him. He knows sit, down and such. He just learned them, so working to do it on command, when told.
Oh good. I know the feelings of frustration when dealing with a pup. When Fiona was younger, I used to tell her I was going to send her to live with the trainer. Since I had ne'er trained a dog or puppy, I had no idea how much work it is and that you have to do it several times a day.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I shouldn't be so rough on him. It's just been a frustrating time. I just finished school, and am looking for a job now. Getting ready for vacation in 2 weeks. So frustration is high, and to top it off I'm trying to quit smoking. Lots of stuff goin on. :) He does have his sweet moments :) He is a very smart dog, and he does have the potential to be awesome-ER! I just have to breathe and give him some credit. ImageUploadedByPG Free1364862208.299231.jpg this is my girl Allison

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I remember feeling frustrated like that with Jack. It still happens on occasion!

But it totally sounds like you're in the right track. We too have an appointment with a trainer in a few weeks, and I am So looking forward to it. We need more commands, obeyed on command, too!

Hang in there, and keep us posted on your progress. Sounds like we have a similar mission with our boys!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Btw... Allison does look like an Angel dog. Easy breezy chicken peasy, a lot like my Mattie Lynn :) Gotta bless the good girls!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. She has been the best. Well best of luck with your boy. My guy has lots of work ahead of him, I just wish his previous owners taught him something. He was just kept in a kennel :(

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yeah, mine came out of a long barn.

He's lucky to have you and that you're willing to make the investment in him. It's cool to see smart dogs thrive!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am going through the same problems with my 2 dogs. My 14 year old dog came to me at the age of 3 years old and is very well behaved. Now we have a puppy and he does crazy puppy things. He climbs up on the kitchen counter and drags things from room to room. It's kind of funny now but will not be later. I'm going to take my dog to the local animal shelter for free training classes.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Jmgntl, were you a member on German Shepherd Central before it was shut down? If so, I remember your pretty girl Allison, glad to see she is doing good:)

You have your hands full with your new young boy, hope the forum can help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts