German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog Dog breed Plant Carnivore Fawn

Excuse the junk in the background, we are redoing our spare bedroom and dumped the old bed back there last month. Maybe this month we'll do a dump run.

Anyway! Here is Andy at 8 months and 1 day of age. This is his favorite toy (as you can tell from all the puncture marks on it!). Training is going well. He is very persistent, which is a good thing when we are working on something and he wants to get it right, but also a not so good thing when he is being stubborn.

He is not much of a cuddler, but boy he sticks right with me in the house and outside. I guess his version of cuddling is being ever vigilant to my whereabouts.

We are going to compete next year in rally and tracking
Sheilah

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
He's growing up quickly. I like his inquisitive look.

Reactions: sitstay

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Before the dump run you can use the junk for some nosework training 😃 He’s looking very sweet and so cute!

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Good looking boy! He looks happy and engaged and well fed. Mattresses happen...

Reactions: sitstay

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good looking boy! He looks happy and engaged and well fed.
In class we are working on two new behaviors. The first is to have him in heel position and I shuffle to the right and he has to maintain the sit, but move with me. He does a good job, although I would like him to maintain the straight sit we start with.

The second behavior he picked up on quickly. I lure him forward and around my right side. His job is to come in between my front legs and sit. I am not a tall person and he is a big boy, so the instructor told me to down him in between my legs to make it more comfortable for both of us. Andy picked it up right away. I don't even have to give him the down command. He drops into a down once he is in between my legs, with his shoulders about even with my ankles.

He loves to train. Although when he is done he lets me know.
Sheilah

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
In class we are working on two new behaviors. The first is to have him in heel position and I shuffle to the right and he has to maintain the sit, but move with me. He does a good job, although I would like him to maintain the straight sit we start with.

The second behavior he picked up on quickly. I lure him forward and around my right side. His job is to come in between my front legs and sit. I am not a tall person and he is a big boy, so the instructor told me to down him in between my legs to make it more comfortable for both of us. Andy picked it up right away. I don't even have to give him the down command. He drops into a down once he is in between my legs, with his shoulders about even with my ankles.

He loves to train. Although when he is done he lets me know.
Sheilah
I am a HUGE fan of that first training. Once you teach the dog the important thing is the position in relation to you, the rest is a cakewalk!

On the centering deal, my dog almost killed me on several occasions lol! My house was a top-level, so stairs everywhere. She liked to go between the legs and often did so while coming down from the second floor.

But once she grew up, she'd literally high center me while going down the stairs! As a kid, I got pretty good at rolling down a flight of stairs. But when you're in your sixties, it seems a little less attractive lol! She came very close to toppling me a handful of times! But she meant well...

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am covered in bruises! Most of them are my fault; bad timing and poorly handled targeting on a tug. Because I am disabled (an old spinal cord injury that left me without feeling in my legs), my instructor has modified some behaviors. Like the down between my legs. And instead of having him finish coming forward, we are having him finish by backing out and coming to heel position.

I am having a lot of fun training. And just doing things with Andy.
Sheilah

1 - 9 of 9 Posts