German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I know this is a broadly discussed topic, the help function has come up with quite a few answers, but I think I need some Cyberhugs and somebody that tells me it will end (hopefully)!
Q is 12 weeks and a few days now...
He is a happy healthy little GSD, still floppy in the ear department and cute as a button. The vet loves him, the trainers love him. Everybody loves him... BUUUT.
Holy Mackerel that little bug can whine!
He is not whining out of distress, that is for sure.
He is healthy, we see the vet for the shot-spectacular on a regular basis, he is growing well and he is eating extremely well. We hadn't had a single accident in the house since the day we picked him up at 8 weeks!
He whines when we go on a walk while walking. He whines when we play. He whines at class, he whines while chewing bones, he whines because he is so excited when he plays with our other dog, he whines when he plays period, he whines while squeeking his toys, he whines in his frigging sleep!
(He barks when he wants to be let out so he doesn't have to be let out. )
There is a lot of vocalization going on and I really don't know how to deal with that. He can whine and can be vocal, but the problem is:
Where do I stop. It can be annoying (especially others at 5 am in the morning on our walk through the neighborhood) and I try to stop him doing it, but I think he isn't even aware that he is doing it!

Oh gods! Please tell me this is just a phase! Please!
He is knackered at night, so he doesn't seem to be bored! And he sleeps through the night and then pops up at 6 am in the morning to get his food and a walk with his brother....

Just tell me this is a phase and it will be over in a few months!
Also, how should I behave to not feed into this behavior? I mean, yes he gets treats and attention when he shuts up, but what else can I do?

Thank you so much in advance!
Y

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
That must be so frustrating. I think ha will grow out of it. One of the things I did with Fiona is I would mimic the sound. It would make her mad, but she did cut down on the whining.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
156 Posts
That must be so frustrating. I think ha will grow out of it. One of the things I did with Fiona is I would mimic the sound. It would make her mad, but she did cut down on the whining.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Hah, I like that.

if you can take a video of it, thats one of those things thats real hard to diagnose just from reading. It really could just be a puppy thing. Some other places will assume there is something really wrong with your dog etc, but its kind of like diagnosing cancer over the internet without a doctor doing any tests.

Mine still wines alot at 3, but its when she wants something really bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts