German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I couldn't get past the first paragraph.

Ugh.

·
Registered
10,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't get past the first paragraph.

Ugh.
Me neither. I had enough after the first two pictures. All that "indulgence" and anthropomorphism is doing such a disservice to our dogs.
Remember this one: if we treat them like people, they will treat us like dogs.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
It is as if it's some sort of modern psychosis. Taking a dog and forcing it to meet your needs, and not respecting what it is or what it needs.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I think there are many behavioral problems with dogs who has owners that humanize them. Having money to buy clothes for your dogs (etc.) isn't the only thing that will humanize a dog.

Having said that - if a person wants to spend a grand on a wedding dress for their dog, it's their money. Not my business. I'd rather see a dog wearing a 1K dress, then being tossed into the street because it has exhausted the cute puppy phase.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I also checked out when trying to read it.

Hope those dogs get to enjoy a walk and the pleasure of running through a mud puddle, getting dirty, chasing a squirrel...all those things that dogs enjoy.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
You really should read the entire article. It states folks who rescue/adopt unhealthy dogs, knowing they are going to have huge vet bills.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I think there are many behavioral problems with dogs who has owners that humanize them. Having money to buy clothes for your dogs (etc.) isn't the only thing that will humanize a dog.

Having said that - if a person wants to spend a grand on a wedding dress for their dog, it's their money. Not my business. I'd rather see a dog wearing a 1K dress, then being tossed into the street because it has exhausted the cute puppy phase.
You have a point.
But I guess when I see people doing this, I can't imagine that they are doing anything to let the dog actually be a dog. KWIM?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Sadly I agree, as much as it makes me shake my head I think pampering is a much less horrific fate then being neglected. It really is a double edged sword either way

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
You have a point.
But I guess when I see people doing this, I can't imagine that they are doing anything to let the dog actually be a dog. KWIM?
For me...when I see people spending a bucket load of money on their pet (for pleasure) I can't help but to think, "What in the world are they doing for a living!?! I want THAT job!!! I knew I should have married for money!!!"

Somewhere there is someone looking at you and what you currently spend on your pet and they think that you're insane as well. Somewhere, someone is looking at what you have and wish they had it too. Human nature.

If I had a thousand bucks to blow, it wouldn't be on dog clothes. But I've no doubt I'd blow it on something animal related.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Somewhere there is someone looking at you and what you currently spend on your pet and they think that you're insane as well. Somewhere, someone is looking at what you have and wish they had it too. Human nature.
I was not referring to dollar amount. It's actually wonderful, to me, when I see people spend generously to give their pets the best they can afford. Not insane, in my view.

But I am one to spend on Darwin's raw, not a dress. OK, so Hans is not the dress-wearin' kind :crazy:

Regarding the article, I am looking at what they are buying, and what they buy is for themselves, not the dog. I am thinking they humanize the dog and it ends up being a neurotic mess, because it is carried in a purse and dressed like a doll a la Paris Hilton.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Regarding the article, I am looking at what they are buying, and what they buy is for themselves, not the dog. I am thinking they humanize the dog and it ends up being a neurotic mess, because it is carried in a purse and dressed like a doll a la Paris Hilton.
I agree that humanizing the dog isn't in the best interest for the dog. But I don't have a problem with folks carrying their pocket pets in a purse, or putting clothes on them. I suspect it's no different than me taking my dog with me in a crate (he wouldn't fit in a purse) and putting a back pack on him. At least to the dog, there might not be a difference. At least the dog's getting to hang out with his human.

If a person is making their dog neurotic by not letting their dog be a dog - running and playing, spending their drive doing stuff dogs love to do, and then using medication to alter their dogs persona..I have a problem with that.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I agree that humanizing the dog isn't in the best interest for the dog. But I don't have a problem with folks carrying their pocket pets in a purse, or putting clothes on them. I suspect it's no different than me taking my dog with me in a crate (he wouldn't fit in a purse) and putting a back pack on him. At least to the dog, there might not be a difference. At least the dog's getting to hang out with his human.
Ahhhh quit making so much sense! :D Join the dress-wearing dog haters, Lilie! C'mon! Join uuusss....

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Lilie is outstanding about bringing reality to a post...she has made me rethink my train of thought several times.

But Lilie...please say no to dressing the dogs?!?! LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts