German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Tucker one full day and already the know-it-alls start. My ex is trying to insist that because Tucker's ears dont stand up straight that he must surely be mixed with lab. The lady I got tucker from had taken him in from a friend who moved and could not keep Tucker or his 5 year old brother. He had had Tucker from puppy hood, bought him from a breeder. So we know Tucker is infact pure bred. And from what I had seen online it's not uncommon for some GSD to have "floppy" ears. I swear it irratates me when people try to act like they know everything. He is insisting that tucker does not have the ears, nose or head of a GSD but a lab, nor the coat.

You tell me?

Sorry just needed to vent.(it was the picture of him with my son that started the arguement)

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Sometimes GSD do have floppy ears. It's not very common though, nor is it common for BOTH ears to be down.

Does he have papers? Do you know that the 'breeder' was reputable and that he was bred from two purebred dogs? I'm not trying to add to your frustration, but he does look like he could have SOMETHING else in there, even if it's farther back. Perhaps a parent was half GSD half something else. You never know, but he doesn't LOOK purebred to me. I've never personally seen a GSD with both ears down, but there is a first for everything.

IMO, Tucker has the body, nose, and coat (from what I can tell) of a GSD, but the head does look like there could be another breed in him.

Honestly, he's close enough to GSD, and you won't love him any less regardless. There's no real way to tell, so I'd just tell my ex to bug off 'cause it's none of his business. :p

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I would say he could probably be purebred, just not well bred(maybe from American Pet lines). Though that isn't to say he isn't a wonderful dog. Sometimes they have softer ears and the darker facial pigment missing, which are both faults if you were to show in conformation.
But who cares!
He is very handsome, I love his male looking head(GSD not a lab) and he looks like he is of great temperament...I agree, just ignore the ones who question or "know it all"
My first GSD was all black and he had soft ears. His mother was purebred, he was the only black in the litter/ I think he was mixed, though everything but the soft ears were GSD.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
My Yukon, who was definitely purebred, was also a flop ear!!!

When he was 4 years old he had an ear infection that was impossible to treat ... it took a year to get it under control. One of the results was that the ear came up!!!

When he was 9 years old he started developing polyomysitis, a muscle wasting disease that eventually took his life. One of the side effects was that his other ear came up!!! So when he went to the Bridge he had both ears up!

If you click on the link in my sigfile it will go to my photo albums. Click on the MY BRIDGE KIDS album and you can see a couple pictures of Yukon when he decided to climb up on a friend's table and act as the centerpiece during a dinner party.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally weither he is or isnt doesnt matter to me(he is part of this family) but i just hate when people get like that. He said that I am just blindly taking the statement of someone and without papers even if I continue to say he is pure, he will think other wise. I said fine. I don't care. I know Tucker isn't show quality, heck he is fixed so I wouldn't show him even if I wanted to. He isn't being bred, he is part of this family and means no less to me than my own son. But thank you guys for your replies. I guess we all can get defensive of our babies lol

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
He look purebred to me, just has soft ears.

See the SMILE????? That's what it's all about. :D

The ex is an ex for a reason, right? :rofl:

Sorry just needed to vent.(it was the picture of him with my son that started the arguement)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
He look purebred to me, just has soft ears.

See the SMILE????? That's what it's all about. :D

The ex is an ex for a reason, right? :rofl:
:toasting: I second everything she said!!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL thanks guys and yeah ex for a reason (but kiddos dad so we still are "civil"). haha and as I type that Tucker made a "ugh" moan/growl. I think he agrees with you all.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The coloring sure looks GSD...some people over play w/ puppy ears. I know I had to stop several people from rubbing Mia's ears when she was growing. It really doesn't matter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts