German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 6 weeks ago I was overjoyed that after 3 months we finally got the right diagnosis for Zeus. It was Giardia and I suspected it the whole time. Yet my vet was not convinced ( I no longer go to that vet). So he got the right treatment and has been doing great solid poops gaining weight back. Then 2 days ago he had a mushier poop later in the day. Then yesterday he had mushy poop all day with a few drops of blood in his morning poop. So I figured I would call the vet Monday morning and take him back in. Well last night at 1:30am he was crying in his crate and I went downstairs to see what was up and he had pooped in the crate. I took him outside and then cleaned his crate put him back in and decided to sleep downstairs in case he needed to go again. Well at 3:00 am he vomited twice in his crate which he has never vomited. So I was now really worried. Well we ended up at the ER vet this morning and another Giardia test and 5 days of Panacur. The only positive is that we are catching it quick and he has not lost any weigh!!!!! Six weeks ago they did a bunch of blood work and everything came back normal. So thank you for reading and listening to me vent. I am sure he is going to be fine. Here is a picture of him taken Thursday.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
I have posted this several times before: what only helped my dog was the herbal supplement KocciFree and Bowel Pathogens (homeopathic). I also gave her MSM (forgot the dose). Cleared it up quickly and it never came back. Panacur didn't do anything for my dog.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Here is the info and locations of products:

* Homeopathic Nosode “Bowel Pathogen”
“Nosodes are homeopathic attenuations of pathological organs or tissues, causative agents such as bacteria, fungi, ova, parasites, virus particles and yeast disease products, excretions, or secretions.”

“Homeopathic nosodes can stimulate the body to recognize a disease and assist in the elimination of pathogens naturally. Nosodes make an indirect attack on diseases by stimulating the immune system and white blood cell production. It aids in enhancement of immune response to typical bowel pathogens.”
Homeopathic's are given 30 minutes before or after food and water.

Purchase here: https://www.pureformulas.com/bowel-pathogen-nosode-2-oz-by-professional-formulas.html

*Herbal combination: “Kocci-Free” now re-branded as “Kochi Free” (Labeled for Giardia and Coccidia)
“Contains organic anti-microbial and anti-parasitic herbs.”
 Build and stimulate the immune system
 Rid the body of microscopic parasites
 Kills viruses, bacteria and fungus
 Soothe the digestive system”
Purchase here: http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Amber-Technology-Kocci-Free/560002.aspx

*MSM - Methylsulfonylmethane is a non-toxic form of active sulfur.
MSM makes the bowel "a very unfriendly place for parasites".
There are very different grades of msm. Bergstrom is the company that manufactures OptiMSM and PuroforMSM. After researching, and reading the certifications that they have, I believe this one is the best!
A company called Kala distributes OptiMSM & PurforMSM by Bergstrom: http://www.kalahealth.com/msmanimals.htm

Moms :)

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I don't think 5 days of Panacur is long enough for giardia, at least if you're already on a second round -- we do 7 or even 10 days of it in rescue for giardia. I would call the clinic and see if they'll double-check that for you.

The problem with giardia is re-infection. The dog needs to be pottied on concrete that can be disinfected, not soil. The crate has to be disinfected daily. It's really easy to get into a cycle of infection and re-infection if you aren't careful. Giardia lives in both standing water and moist soil.

I would also caution you that after two treatments if it's back, and you're being careful about reinfection, it's time to ask the vet about possibly sending off a fecal panel to IDEXX -- there are a lot of other things that are nasty that can be there on top of the giardia. We just did this with rescue puppies, and yes, they had giardia -- but also corona virus and two other wicked bacteria. Treating giardia was only part of their issue, and there was a lot more going on. The test costs around $200 and tests for 18 different things.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
@wolfy dog the MSM is a joint supplement wondering what correlation it has to the Giardia? Please excuse my ignorance LOL!!!!

first of all I contributed organic sulfurs and MSM -

it is a component of joint supplements because it is a natural pain killer
the other ingredients would be glucosamine and chondroitin

there are many threads regarding giardia that I have mentioned MSM on --

copied material
"One of the most amazing discoveries on MSM is its anti-parasitic action against Giardia, Trichomonas, roundworms, nematodes, Enterobius and other intestinal worms"

from msm information

I use OptiMSM , made in America , as recommended by Dr Jacobs and vet Dr Martin Zukker

-- not snake oil http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/493481-msm-giardia-prevention-general-health.html

-- not snake oil http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/493481-msm-giardia-prevention-general-health.html

·
Registered
5,351 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone for all the great information ?. I will be spending time looking into all the information and right now going to finish the Panacur and see how he does. He had a bunch more energy tonight then he had this morning. Just glad he feels better right now. Again thank you all!!!!!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Here is some good info, I hope he gets better soon. Giardia in Dogs

If you are treating your dog for giardia, following step may help prevent re-infestation:

• Remove your dog's stool immediately after her goes to the bathroom.
  • Wipe all four of your dog's paws and anus after he goes to the bathroom.
  • If your dog has an accident in the house, be sure to clean up the stool immediately and clean the surface down with a disinfectant.
  • Do not allow your dog to lick your face and wash your hands!
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardia/prevention-control-pets.html

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you have been doing all of that. He is already feeling more like himself. This has been quite the ride!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts