German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, i posted about a week and a half ago about my boy and his anal glands issue! i took him to the vet and he drained the glands and just finished the medication(1pill 2x/day of baytril 68mg and prednisone) and his butt is not really better if anything it looks a little worse, it could be maybe that im cleaning the area too much and irritating it cause there is a spot where it looks a little raw and the stuff that comes out of his butt every few hours or so is reddish! im waitting for the vet to call me back and tell me what to do next but wanted to ask for some of your thoughts of what to do about it! thank you

·
Registered
906 Posts
Awww poor boy!! That has to be uncomfortable for him! Let us know what the vet says! :(

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i talked to the vet and he told me to try metamucil and see if it gets any better after a few days on it and if it doesn't then ill bring him in again to drain the glands one more time and take it from there! it does not seem to bother him at all just sometimes he smells his butt and seems to wonder lol!! i hope it's nothing too serious, he's such a solid, strong, full of energy and playfull boy which i love so much :)! we'll see, hoping for the best!

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
....his butt is not really better if anything it looks a little worse, it could be maybe that im cleaning the area too much and irritating it cause there is a spot where it looks a little raw and the stuff that comes out of his butt every few hours or so is reddish!
This sounds like an infected anal gland that is developing into an anal fistula. I would have him on some antibiotics for an extended period of time and also switch to a single protein, single carb food, in the hope of avoiding a more serious issue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This sounds like an infected anal gland that is developing into an anal fistula. I would have him on some antibiotics for an extended period of time and also switch to a single protein, single carb food, in the hope of avoiding a more serious issue.
i had him for ten days on baytril and just finished it and also prednisone! i guess an antibiotic taken for longer then that should not be too dangerous cause it's an antibiotic after all! it looks like it did get a little worse so ill go pick up some antib's tomorrow! thank you

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
anal glands/fistula(?)

With my Max, things like pred made his anal glands/fistula worse. It required three different antibiotics to get it closed - doxycyline, amoxicillin, and tylan. We went with the "wimpiest" antibiotics we could since they were used long term. Baytril is a "super" antibiotic, I'm not sure I would want to use that long term.

Some fistulas will get dramatically better on pred. I believe that infection based ones won't, so you might have to play around with what works best, and carefully watch to determine the best "plan" to get things better.

If this is all centered around the anal glands, if it doesn't clear up, you might have to have them removed. I'm thinking I should have that done, but haven't made the plunge.

There is a yahoo group for PF's if this doesn't resolve. To me, it seems like it's important to know whether the pred is hurting or helping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts