German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 month old GSD had been having anal gland issues a few months ago. The vet recommended switching to Hill's Prescription Diet (aka garbage, as far as I'm concerned). The vet was worried that Kora could eventually develop perianal fistula disease. As an alternative to the prescription diet, we switched her from Fromm to Wellness Super5Mix because the fiber content is (I think?) 5%, instead of the 3 or 4 found in Fromm. We have also been supplementing with a tablespoon or two of canned pumpkin (and occasionally ground flax seed) and (knock on wood!) she has been having firmer stools and no signs of any anal gland distress over the past 4 or 5 months.

Now that she is approaching a year, we're looking at switching to an adult food. I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions as far as a food with a good fiber content. Also, any opinions on "large breed" specific food are also appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
My puppy also had anal gland issues. I don't know if they were food related (he was also on Fromm's LBP) or season allergies, or what. But now that he's eating Acana lamb and apple, with added pumpkin, the problem is gone. This kibble is 4% fiber, not quite the 5% you're looking for, but maybe worth trying out.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I feed mine Fromm with pumpkin every now and then..Its hit or miss with the poop, I was always holding my breath to see who had mushy poop next:( I can't pinpoint it, so they get the pumpkin and we are all good.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am just starting to switch Allie and Ziggy to Fromm from Organix - Ziggy has anal gland problems frequently. Now I am concerned about the fiber content. Perhaps I should give him pumpkin with his meals or find another dog food. Any opinions as to whether Fromm has resulted in anal gland problems. I was thinking of Acana but the only variety I can purchase is the grain free and I have never fed grain free before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts