German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ZAK has had his glands flushed and packed with antibiotic paste, which stopped them leaking green pus for about 10 days, now vet says it must be normal for him to do this , but none of my other GSDs have ever leaked pus,and i am worried. However it doesnt bother him.Started about 6 months ago and vet first treated by giving oral antibiotics and emptying fortnightly, when emptied there was blood and pus.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Eww, that's weird. Wish I new. I only once had a dog with impacted anal glands. He was on antibiotics for a couple of weeks and he was fine.

Is is possible he has a food allergy? Have to tried a corn-free food? I have also read that obesity can contribute to anal gland problems. Anal glands can be removed, but only as a last resort if the dog is in pain.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Are his poos soft? Those anal glands are emptied if the poop is firm. Soft poop will not exert enough pressure and won't empty the sacks, so they will fill up.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It is not normal for a dog to get infected anal glands.

Not sure what your question is, but you need to try to figure out why the glands aren't emptying normally (too soft stool?) and fix it if you can. Some people never figure out why their dog has this problem. If you can't fix the problem, you need to learn how to empty them yourself (or pay someone else to do it) and have it done regularly to prevent this from happening again.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
your vet is crazy if he thinks it's normal for a dog's anal glands to leak pus.

Pus is a sign of infection. Normally, most dogs never ever have anal gland issues, once they start, you can usually count on it being an ongoing thing. Not good:( Constant impacted/infected anal glands can result in Perianal fistula's also not good.
I would read this site perianal-fistulas join their email list which is a wealth of information/suggestions/advice and support

I would be looking for another vet as well

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
My neighbor with a Husky dog had a similar problem. For several months the anal glands were flushed 1x-2x a month. The problem never got better and they were surgically removed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts