German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
He is doing wonderful! He just finished his antibiotics and had his latest check up with the vet. She seems happy with the results and said he should be fine. She encouraged me to keep giving him fish oil. She still thinks he needs to gain some weight..but he eats so much! I'm sure he would even eat more, but he doesnt look like skin and bones to me. He's gained almost 35lbs since his first day here (satin balls helped). He's still young though (He will be exactly 1 year old on December 1st)

He eats taste of the wild and loves it! He gets fed twice a day. Anyway, here are some photos. If you think he should look a bit heavier let me know and I'll increase his food. He is scheduled to be fixed next week..and some people have said that male dogs sometimes gain weight after..so that might help.

This was taken on his first day here...just to give you an example of how far he has come!

Also taken on his first night home with us.

Today!

Playing with his new friend

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
Holy Schmoly!! what a difference! So glad you were able to take him! What exactly was the problem with his skin? Allergy? Mange? Obviously infected and inflamed but the underlying cause.

What does he weigh now? It's hard to tell if he needs to gain weight from the angle of the pictures.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
thats a big improvement!!! good work!!!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Wow he looks great! You've done an amazing job with him. So glad you were able to take him and give him the love and care he needed. He doesn't look all that thin to me

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vet did several skin scrapings and never found any mange..she decided to go ahead and treat for it anyway. She thinks the dog may have had mange when he was younger and that it went uncared for and eventually developed into a yeast problem that got out of hand.

She said that mange is common in puppies, but not all of them need treatment..and in many cases it goes away on its own. Her best guess was that his eventually went away but not before causing other skin problems because of it.

We also had his Thyroid checked but it came back normal, so I don't think that was an issue.

His previous owners had taken him to Banfield a few times..but no luck with treatments. They also scraped for mange there but found nothing but also didnt treat. They told the owners to keep him on a limited diet.

They were low on finances and having trouble paying his vet bills so they needed to find him a new home. They didn't feel they could properly care for his condition and didn't want him to suffer because of it. They were also feeding him ol roy from Walmart because it's all they could afford.

So..a yeast infection on top of a poor diet and nutrition probably wasn't helping anything! He weighed about 65lbs on that first day and he's about 95lbs right now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you! It's my older German Shepherd jumping up to kiss my fiance. She is pretty obsessed with his facial hair.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
He is looking amazing and not too thin at all- he's only a little under a year so he'll fill out nicely over the next 1-2 years give him time. Congrats on getting him healthy you've done an awesome job:)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
WOW what a difference some TLC does:) Good job, you've done great by him

·
Registered
818 Posts
Amazing difference, he looks awesome! I second the comment on the avatar picture. :D

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
He looks wonderful! You have done a nice job taking care of him, he looks so happy.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Thank you for updating! What a good looking boy he is! Too bad Banfield can't do a better job of vetting.
I love your avitar, too!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Thank you! It's my older German Shepherd jumping up to kiss my fiance. She is pretty obsessed with his facial hair.

Koch likes to nibble on my facial hair like she is nibbling on her own lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts